Goonie

Hmmm, some of those visuals looked great, some looked meh. What approach is Roland Emmerich taking with this? The Earth's crust shifting? Magnetic field disruption? Meteorite crashing? It looks like maybe the earth's crust shifting, but then there is a scene that appears to be asteroids/meteors falling from space almost hitting John Cusack's motorhome.

I still think Roland's best was Stargate and The Patriot, and trailing closely behind The Day after Tomorrow and Independence Day.

Still, the ultimate disaster flick Hollywood could make could be called No More Coffee. ;)

bennihana123

Although his films may not have much substance, no one makes a disaster movie like Roland Emmerich.

I'm seeing this for the visuals, not the story.

Bjorn Heimdall

This movie is going to be so super-dumb. It could be fun I guess but after The Day After Tomorrow I'm not holding my breath, that film was just dumb and no fun. I suppose this one is using the Planet X (Nibiru) planet coming our way-theorie. The whole idea is a load of bull, of course, and although most people know this, the last line of the trailer is stupid (Find out the truth, search 2012) because it might actually really scare those that are susceptible to nonsense like this. But some filmmakers might get some good money out of the whole thing, I just wander what the next doomsday date will be, when Dec. 21. 2012 is over, does anyone have an idea?

edit: It looks like the effects makers are forgetting, like they did in Deep Impact, that before a wall of sea hits something, there will be a wall of air before it to crush pretty much everything. You are not just going to stand on a beach somewhere and watch a huge tidal wave fall on your face. Although I admit I can't really tell how high the waves are in this trailer but it was truly embarassing in Deep Impact.

WillKill4Food

Goonie said:
Hmmm, some of those visuals looked great, some looked meh. What approach is Roland Emmerich taking with this? The Earth's crust shifting? Magnetic field disruption? Meteorite crashing? It looks like maybe the earth's crust shifting, but then there is a scene that appears to be asteroids/meteors falling from space almost hitting John Cusack's motorhome.
Seems to be a combination of all of the above, plus more. Personally, I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to capitalize in it in this way. It will just further encourage reactionaries who actually believe in the 2012 prophecy.

Trailer 2:
<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u22SZtGQ4ZU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u22SZtGQ4ZU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Trailer 3:
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIQ48716awA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIQ48716awA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

TheMutt92

I'm sorry, but w/ this and 10,000 B.C. its as if the 'masterpieces' of The Patriot and Independence Day never existed. Roland's gotta stop making movies. And if the movie turns out to be good, then he's gotta get someone to do his trailers. I mean, after a while that money shot in the (I believe) second trailer just goes on and on! I love cool shots like that, but to me that one just dosn't work.

Agent Crab

I smell Serval Sci Fi Channel knock offs with this movie.

I saw this trailer with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. The effects looked nice and all, but the whole 2012 thing is becoming a pain in the ass and annoying...

How come we never seen any Y2K movies?

Looks like it's gonna have Camera Shaking syndrome; enough to make me wanna feel sick for it.

Hanselation

Great effects - less emotional story

I' missing movies with good storys AND great special effects (state of the art). Most of the Blockbuster-Movies have great special effects, but the storys are very simple and I can't empahize with the main figures of this movies.
I think 2012 will also be a entertaining movie :D - WideScreen - Surroundsound 5.1, 6,1 8.1??? - and much Cgi-Effects.......but less emotional storytelling.:(
Hopfully to be disabused.:confused:

Forbidden Eye

Roland Emmerich is a hack. I definitely won't be seeing this.

The 2012 mayan calendar myth is sooooo tired. Can't wait til that date comes and nothing happens. As a film, the myth could work I suppose, but this looks no different than every "end-of-the-world" summer blockbuster that gets made every week.

Plus the CGI looks so over-the-top and derivative.

WillKill4Food

ResidentAlien said:
BAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

ZOMGROFL
The story of The Patriot at least had the potential to be a masterpiece, though I can't say that this potential was ever realized on film. Independence Day...not so much.

TheMutt92

ResidentAlien said:
You in fact did not put the word in parenthesis. You put the word in quotation marks. There is in fact a difference. :rolleyes:

Touche!

Wasn't even thinking on that one... but I still don't plan on seeing this :p

Agent Crab

It comes out soon. I heard there is gonna be another 2012 movie as well. I am gonna give this movie a shot. Then again, there has been so many disaster flicks as of late. Ranging from Volcano, to The Core.