What Would The Modern Day Dr Jones Wear On His Adventures?

indytim

As much as I love Indy's iconic outfit and gear, they are somewhat seriously outdated considering what is on offer in the modern world. He sports no Teflon or Gore-Tex, his bag has limited functionality and the famous hat really only could take so much wear and tear. So, I propose the question ... what would Indy wear on his adventures, if they took place in the modern world (a terrible thought, I know! How enthused about Indy would we all be without all the gorgeous style and glamour of yesteryear). I'll start the (big stone) ball rolling with these two suggestions ...

The Boots ... I'm a big fan of boots. The more tough and rugged the better. That said, by far and away, the best boots I have ever owned are Oakley's S.I. 6" Assault Boots (http://www.oakley.com/catalog/products/s-i-assault-boot-6-inch). They may not be the toughest or most resilient to the elements but, boy, are they comfy :D I wear mine every day to work and now can't imagine wearing any other. Definitely my choice of boot for the modern day Indy.

The Bag ... I'm also a great bag fan, probably a result of my love of all things Indy. Having owned many bags over the years (including an actual Indy bag from MBA, which I found to be too small for all my daily items) I never quite found one that had the qualities required for my day-to-day use. That was until I discovered the Belstaff Colonial 554 Large Shoulder Bag (http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?p...gory_id=655&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=484). Having appeared in Batman Begins and then made famous by Will Smith in I Am Legend, this bag ticks all the boxes. Tough, rugged, plenty of storage space and pockets galore. It also looks really nice in Mountain Brown. If Indy were adventuring today I would say this would be his bag of choice.

So, there you go. Two of my suggestions. But what about a jacket? And a hat? I look forward to reading your suggestions :hat:

Mickiana

Good question, even though it is a bit heretical. As for his hat, maybe a Frillneck cap. They look a bit 'Foreign Legion', but are very practical. For the jacket, well, leather is tough and durable but can be on the heavy and hot side. Some of the motorcycle jackets are made from very modern lightweight materials and are very protective and resistant to wear, but the downside are their looks. They look great while riding a motorbike but they are very long in the back to cover the lower back while leaning forward riding.

Asiano Jones

What would Indy wear today?

I think that parting with his fedora, no matter how unpratical it might seem today, would be near impossibe for Indy to do. I think however, he might change to a leather fedora that is more water resistant, and more durable. Although this might be heavier than a traditional felt one, it would last longer and be harder to blow off :) His jacket might be traded out for a lighter, modern rain jacket with thinsulate, neoprene and the works. He might even ditch the sholder bag for a back-hugging backpack!

Indy Scout 117

probably one of those new kinda fedoras. i got one the other day and i love the look!!! of course its more of a casual wear than an adventurous look.

kongisking

My biggest bet would be something approximating the outfit worn by Romancing the Stone's Jack T. Colton.

adventurestuff

Modern Indy

Yeah Jack Colton was cool, but maybe too cool and less 'all business' as we've come to know Indy.

Here's my take:

Same Fedora
Columbia Shirts
Jeans/Cargo Pants
Keen Hiking/Walking Boots
Maybe a small military sling bag which would hold:
Cell phone, GPS, Digital Voice Recorder, Camera, Notebook and pen, Range finder, sun block, bug repellent, passport, sunglasses, gloves, and a bandana.
Backpack to hold: travel clothes, artifacts, the whip(maybe), and anything else.
I don't thing the modern day Indy would get away with either the whip or the gun, especially traveling these days.
Probably a money belt instead of a Web belt, too. (could also hold secret maps)

W.E.

IndyAJA77

Since a lot of what Indy wears is military or military-like, I can't see why the same couldn't be true for a modern Indy. With Desert Shield/Storm and now Iraq and afghanistan, the military has been in some very hot climates and there have been advances what soldiers wear. Even if it's nothing another company has made that many G.I.'s have (unofficially) adopted, like Under Armour products, for example. So, the leather jacket and wool pants might be out (depending on the climate), but the khaki shirt and web belt may still be in.

tambourineman

The only real difference I could see is the hat. Khaki pants and that sort of shirt are still common and easy to get from hiking shops, and leather jackets are still popular. The only thing is the hat. Its a very old fashioned, the sort of hat that these days is really only used in costumes. Some people still wear fedoras, but they are fashion ones with small brims that dont offer any protection, not the old pre-40's wide brim style. It isnt the sort of hat Indy would go for today, for what reason would he seek out such an old design? Indy's gear is all about practibility, so it would be something durable that offers a lot of protection from the sun. Id imagine something like a regular modern Akubra.
Something like this perhaps:
banjo.lrge.jpg

joebloggs

I don't think Indy's leather jacket will ever go out of style. Heck, I wear my Raiders jacket at least seven months of the year, for the past 5 years. People still comment on how they like the look.

Joosse

A lot of people still wear the leather jacket.

But as for boots, I believe he would go for the Meindl combat boots. Strong, durable and light as a feather...

Goodeknight

Hi Everyone,

Been following for quite a while, but this is my first post to the forums. Couldn't resist, as I've thought about this subject many times for my own travels and adventures.

First off, I agree that the jacket will never go out of style. And if you've got a variety of jackets from lamb to goat or cow, then you're good to go for about 7-9 months of the year. (Personally I just have a goatskin from Wested, and am very happy with it. See pics below.)

For the shirt, I think modern Indy would go Columbia type all the way. Light and breathable. But not the fishing style with all the pockets, flaps, and loops. Same style shirt as Indy's original, but the updated version, still understated.

Here's a side by side pic. Indy on set for Crystal Skull, me "on set" in Ethiopia taking a Coke break. (My caption for this one is usually, "Maybe I'm trying a little too hard") One of my favorite shirts of all time. Columbia.

IndyandDansidebyside.png

I have an embarrassingly large collection of khaki Indy type Columbia shirts, but I'm also a big fan of some of the Columbia shirts with a little color. Always with some vents and lightweight material. Here are a few stills from a story I did on a hunting and fishing guide in Alaska. (Note the Wested Raiders.)

AlaskanAdventures5.jpg

AlaskanAdventures10.png

AlaskanAdventures9.png

AlaskanAdventures3.png

Columbia, ExOfficio and others have some nice lightweight pants, but they always feel a little flimsy. But I recently returned from two weeks in Haiti covering the earthquake and wore some lightweight convertible cargos the whole time and was fairly comfortable even on 90 degree days. Lots to talk about from that trip, but I'll stay on topic. (I do not, however, think Indy would ever go with convertible cargos. Can't see him zipping off and walking around in shorts anywhere in the world.)

Speaking of convertibles, there are also some nice convertible safari jackets by various companies. Lots of pockets and heavy canvas for protection, but with detachable sleeves and a back vent for heat. Very handy, but difficult not to look like a Nat Geo photographer or a safari guide.

For the hat I was first thinking Tilley with mesh vents, but we have to remember that Indy's hat was a crossover for both fieldwork and 'going to the office.' Looked as good on the streets of Cairo with khakis as it did at Marshall College with a suit. So I'd have to say the fedora stays the same.

For boots, I love my Timberlands in the Alaska pics. But gortex is really pretty warm. Breathes okay for being waterproof, but for hot climates, I'm again thinking Columbia, Merrell, or something along those lines. Not all leather, but something with a lot of mesh. Of course if you're going to be facing booby traps and creepy crawlies, you'd probably be better off enduring the heat and going all leather.

As for the bag, though he had some military influences regarding his outfit, Indy never looked like he just walked out of the local Army Navy. Can't go too heavy with the military gear. Personally, when I travel I use a High Sierra carryon with a detachable daypack. It's kind of an olive version of this one.

HighSierrasuitcase.png

The main bag also has tuck away shoulder straps, which are great for places that don't have pavement. Wheels for pavement, shoulder straps for dirt roads. Obviously not something to carry on a hike deep into the jungle, but I've used it to get around dirt landing strips and the like.

Finally, I'd guess that a modern Indy might opt for a concealed carry holster. :gun: Don't see many folks with hip holsters these days!

Montana Smith

Welcome, goodeknight! :hat:

You've certainly given the subject a lot of thought, and the photographic evidence of you in your 'working' gear show it's a style that's certainly not out of place in modern times (apart from the holster, but from some of the places you're visiting it wouldn't be a bad idea!)

Two weeks in Haiti must have been a tough experience, and, of course, even more so for those who remain there.

Welcome to the boards Goodeknight, when I originally glanced at your post I was looking at the guy in the camo vest thinking "I can't see Indy in that" LOL.

I agree with you on the Columbia shirts...and also apparently the Timberland boots, they look like mine, lol.

I also like the High Sierra bag, I actually have the same one with out the detachable day bag...of course not in an Indy-ish color scheme, it came in a red with silver\gray so, being an Ohio State Buckeye, I had to go with that (plus easier to spot in an airport). It's the same bag aside from the detachable pack. In place of the detachable day bag, I just bought the replica MKVII bag from Todd's suits the day bag purpose for me. I might switch to something with larger pockets though.

I also saw some stuff on scottevest.com, shirts, pants and vests with a lot of hidden pockets. I thought they were pretty cool, and could come in handy.

IndyAJA77

I don't know if this counts, but Harrisonfordweb has a link to a blog with pic of Harrison delivering medical supplies to Haiti. He is wearing a khaki shirt and brown pants, and no they aren't from his Indy wardrobe. He's also wearing sneakers (looks like black?), a khaki baseball cap, sunglasses and a watch. I wonder how any of this would fit into the modern wardrobe of Dr. Jones.