The Indiana Jones World Map

Attila the Professor

Staff member
RaiderMitch said:
It is very well done i got number 245!

I can't wait to see what other cool indy prints Matt may have at ComiCONN

I have to check, but I think I got the one either before or after yours, Mitch. Can't wait to inspect it further. (And I received that Star Wars poster as well, TheIndyOpinion. I was curious if that was the norm.)

RaiderMitch said:
I recieved the japan star wars print and a few bumper stickers along with the map as well

Same here and poster #243.
The Japanese Celebration poster was hand #ed as AP (Artist print).

So how are you guys framing yours? I don't want to just put it in a cheap poster frame. Can you buy like a 28x40 frame with a 2" matte at like a Michael's or Hobby Lobby? or do I need to got the (expensive) custom frame route?

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
ddschneider1972 said:
Same here and poster #243.
The Japanese Celebration poster was hand #ed as AP (Artist print).

So how are you guys framing yours? I don't want to just put it in a cheap poster frame. Can you buy like a 28x40 frame with a 2" matte at like a Michael's or Hobby Lobby? or do I need to got the (expensive) custom frame route?

Check Michaels - they are always having sales on their frames and a cool wooden one with a matte would really make this look nice without spending a fortune!

TheIndyOpinion said:
My map came today, and it is beautiful!.

lucky! The waiting is the hardest part...
waiting.jpg

PS- Loved finding out that "Temple" is Matt's fave!

Stoo

goodeknight said:
Love the idea, but I wish it was an antique-style map, closer to the graphics from the films.

It has a very nice look, but for Indy I think it's way too rich/vibrant/shiny. It is an antique style to some extent, but too much color saturation. Needs to be muted. I hate to be critical of such a major work, but I think it needed to have something like this for a basis:
Heartedly agreed, goodeknight. Muted colours would have been better but the vibrant hues are very Struzan-esque. I don't wish to be critical either because the rendering of the artifacts are superb (except for one: see below).
RaiderMitch said:
Great "Making of" Video from Matt on how he put the Map together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgGyev6nCDU&feature=youtu.be
Good video. Thanks for posting the link, Mitch. A few more criticisms, though:

1) Mr. Busch refers to the artwork size as "a whopping 24 by 36 inches". Pardon me, but 2 feet by 3 feet is not exactly 'whopping'.:rolleyes:

2) The video says that he used plates, buckets and R2-D2's head to make the large circles. The guy is a professional artist but he doesn't own a drafting compass with extension arms?:confused::eek: (Would have saved him a hell of a lot of trouble instead of centering buckets & whatnot.)

3) Grey Cloud's peace pipe could have been more accurate. He should have looked at post #17 of this thread: Grey Cloud.

4) The Jackal was NOT found in Vera Cruz! It was found in the state of Chihuahua...far, far, FAR away from Vera Cruz. Shame this error is on the 'authorized by Lucasfilm' poster.

Having said that, Matt Busch's work is all-around EXCELLENT and this piece is very well done!(y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
Ah, <I>that's</I> what that is. I was thinking it was the Heart of the Dragon, but it makes sense that it would just be Fate of Atlantis that's included, rather than it and Emperor's Tomb, but not Infernal Machine.
You're right, it's the Heart of the Dragon.
No artifacts from Infernal Machine or Staff of Kings apparently...

Lao_Che

So there's six here that I can't make a positive ID on. I'm at a loss for:

1) The crown in France
2) The hammer? between Sir Richard's shield and Nurhachi's ashes
3) The scrolls just above the Sankara parchment
4) The staff just to the right of the scrolls
5) The sword above the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra
6) The golden woman off the coast of Africa

I also don't recall the roles in the stories they appear on the book cover's of for:
7) The mask in South America, for "...and the Seven Veils"
8) The Viking longship off Greenland for "...and the Hollow Earth"

And I suppose Moedred is right about <I>which</I> of the Shi Huangdi artifacts is depicted in China, along with the diamond.

1/ Crown of the Rom from Gypsy Revenge
2/ Golden Fleece (and Knife of Cain) ;)
3/ Covenant of Buddha
4/ Think it's the Staff of Kings/Moses
5/ Genghis Khan's sword
6/ One of the Ikons of Ikammanen!!

7/ Mask of Camozotz is the opening of Seven Veils
8/ I thought it was a vague reference to the ship in Sargasso Pirates but it's from the German novel Longship of the Gods

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Heartedly agreed, goodeknight. Muted colours would have been better but the vibrant hues are very Struzan-esque. I don't wish to be critical either because the rendering of the artifacts are superb (except for one: see below).
Good video. Thanks for posting the link, Mitch. A few more criticisms, though:

1) Mr. Busch refers to the artwork size as "a whopping 24 by 36 inches". Pardon me, but 2 feet by 3 feet is not exactly 'whopping'.:rolleyes:

2) The video says that he used plates, buckets and R2-D2's head to make the large circles. The guy is a professional artist but he doesn't own a drafting compass with extension arms?:confused::eek: (Would have saved him a hell of a lot of trouble instead of centering buckets & whatnot.)

3) Grey Cloud's peace pipe could have been more accurate. He should have looked at post #17 of this thread: Grey Cloud.

4) The Jackal was NOT found in Vera Cruz! It was found in the state of Chihuahua...far, far, FAR away from Vera Cruz. Shame this error is on the 'authorized by Lucasfilm' poster.

Having said that, Matt Busch's work is all-around EXCELLENT and this piece is very well done!(y)

It is suprising that Lucasfilm would make a continuity error on an offically licesnsed product, but they did the same with the Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal.

I always found that scene in Mexico interesting, because Chihuahua is not close to Veracruz, they must have had to make the trip pretty fast in order to be in Ireland in time for the Easter Rising.

dr.jones1986

Also, could someone who owns the map put up a full list of artifacts and the locations they were found in. I can make out many of them from the list but not all of them. This would be greatly appreciated.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
dr.jones1986 said:
Also, could someone who owns the map put up a full list of artifacts and the locations they were found in. I can make out many of them from the list but not all of them. This would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I've been planning to do that. Probably in the next couple days.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
All right...

1. Cross of Coronado, Utah, United States, 1912. "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Film, Novel.
2. King Louis IX Crown of the Rom, Saintes-Maries, France, 1914. "Young Indiana Jones and the Gypsy Revenge." Novel.
3. Knife of Cain, Istanbul, Turkey, 1914. "Young Indiana Jones and the Secret City." Novel.
4. Fire-Eyed Jackal, Vera-Cruz Mexico, 1916. "The Young Indiana Jone [sic] Chronicles: Curse of the Jackal." Episode, Novel, Comic.
5. Omphalos Sacred Stone, Delphi, Greece, 1922. "Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi." Novel.
6. Mask of Camozotz, Tikal, Guatemala, 1926. "Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils." Novel.
7. Noah's Ark, Mount Ararat, Russia, 1927. "Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge." Novel.
8. Unicorn's Horn, Utah, United States, 1928. "Indiana Jones and the Unicorn [sic] Legacy." Novel.
9. Merlin's Scabbard, St. Brendan Glen, England, 1930. "Indiana Jones and the White Witch." Novel.
10. Crystal Skull of Cozan, Cozan, British Honduras, 1933. "Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone." Novel.
11. Staff of Aaron, Iraq, 1934. "Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx." Novel.
12. Eye of Mara, Lost Delta, India, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye." Ride.
13. Heart of the Dragon, Xian, China, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb." Game.
14. Nurhachi's Urn, Istanbul, Turkey, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
15. Eye of the Peacock, Shanghai, China, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
16. Sanskrit Manuscript, Mayapore, China, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
17. Sankara Stone (Sivalinga), Pankot, India, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
18. Chachapoyan Fertility Idol, Chachapoyas, Peru, 1936. "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
19. Staff of Ra Headpiece, Patan, Nepal, 1936. "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
20. Ark of the Covenant, Tanis, Egypt, 1936. "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
21. Ikon of Ikammanen, Krikambo, Liberia, 1936. "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Ikons of Ikammanen, 22-Karat Doom!" Comic.
22. Fourth Nail, Barcelona, Spain, 1936. "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Fourth Nail." Comic.
23. Sir Richard's Shield, Venice, Italy, 1938. "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
24. Holy Grail, Canyon of the Crescent Moon, Hatay, 1938. "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
25. Covenant of Buddha, Taxkorgan, China, 1938. "Indiana Jones: Thunder in the Orient." Comic.
26. Viking Longship, Iceberg, Greenland, 1939. "Indiana Jones and the Longship of the Gods." Novel.
27. Horned Statue, New York, United States, 1939. "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis." Game, Comic.
28. Nur-Ab-Sal Necklace, Reykjavik, Iceland, 1939. "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis." Game, Comic.
29. Horned Statue, Sao Miguel, Azores, 1939. "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis." Game, Comic.
30. Moses' Staff, Nepal, 1939. "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings." Game.
31. Golden Fleece, Mycenae, Greece, 1941. "Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece." Comic.
32. Genghis Khan's Sword, Gobi Desert, Mongolia, 1941. "Indiana Jones and the Sword of Genghis Khan." Novel.
33. Spear of Longinus, New Grange, Ireland, 1945. "Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny." Comic.
34. Ancient Peace Pipe, Wyoming, United States, 1950. "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: Mystery of the Blues." Episode.
35. Orellana's Burial Mask, Nazca, Peru, 1957. "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.
36. Crystal Skull of Akator, Akator, Brazil, 1957. "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.

Listing of artifacts, of course, is the work of Matt Busch.

dr.jones1986

Thanks Atilla for uploading that. One location that seems odd is Nurhachi's urn being found in Turkey? He was a ruler from Northern China, why would his remains be in Turkey, not to mention the fact that Indiana Jones was already in China prior to the events of ToD (according to The Emperor's Tomb). Not only would it not make sense historically but also would not fit into the Indiana Jones timeline.

Stoo

16. Sanskrit Manuscript, Mayapore, China, 1935. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Film, Novel, Comic, Game.

Listing of artifacts, of course, is the work of Matt Busch.
Attila, did Mr. Busch actually place Mayapore in China or is that an error on your part?:confused:
dr.jones1986 said:
It is suprising that Lucasfilm would make a continuity error on an offically licesnsed product, but they did the same with the Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal.
Due to the amount of glaring mistakes:( in both of those books (+ the now-defunct-information on the official Indiana Jones website), nothing surprises me anymore. Though none of the errors really matter in the real world.

Hand the Indy Continuity over to me so that it can be done correctly. Then Lucasfilm's, Mr. Leland Chee, can focus solely on "Star Wars"! (Hi, Leland.):D

Stoo said:
Hand the Indy Continuity over to me so that it can be done correctly. Then Lucasfilm's, Mr. Leland Chee, can focus solely on "Star Wars"! (Hi, Leland.):D

You KNOW it's a two man operation right? :)

In any event, where is the map numbered? Can't find mine...is it hand numbered?

Lao_Che

dr.jones1986 said:
Thanks Atilla for uploading that. One location that seems odd is Nurhachi's urn being found in Turkey? He was a ruler from Northern China, why would his remains be in Turkey, not to mention the fact that Indiana Jones was already in China prior to the events of ToD (according to The Emperor's Tomb). Not only would it not make sense historically but also would not fit into the Indiana Jones timeline.

It's mentioned in Weyn's Temple of Doom novel that Indy tracked Nurhachi to an Istanbul pawn shop.

Years earlier, it had been smuggled out of China and sold on the black market. Through rigorous research and with steely determination, Indy had tracked the urn to a tiny, dark pawn shop in Istanbul where it had been sitting unopened for years.

Shame Weyn doesn't mention Emperor's Tomb while name dropping unseen Wu Han and Short Round adventures but as far as the book goes, Indy's been in China about six months when he walks into Club Obi Wan. Plenty of time for the game to fit (and have Indy meet Wu Han for the third first time ;) ).