Williams' score

oki9Sedo

Darth Vile said:
Rococo,

If you are referring to the end of the finale. I think you'll find that's actually Mutt's theme taking on the Raiders refrain... (so unfortunately I don't think we'll here it again unless Mutt is involved).

Really? It just sounded like a playful variation of the Raiders March (my favourite moment in the score, btw, especially 8:30-8:33)

Darth Vile

Yep - If you look at the notation it's the Raiders March and Mutt's theme playing in tandem (hence the slight key change).

oki9Sedo

Darth Vile said:
Yep - If you look at the notation it's the Raiders March and Mutt's theme playing in tandem (hence the slight key change).

Wow, I'll look out for that the next time I listen to it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Wittmann

I own a lot of Williams soundtracks but this score is pretty forgettable.

Only thing that stands out is "Mutts theme", and I find that too corny. Not bad, but corny.

He really phoned that one in, maybe he saw the material Spielberg was showing him, thought the film sucked and didnt even try. He just quoted himself too often, and that are the good parts.

All in all an Ok score, but from a master like Williams we could expect more.

Darth Vile

Nah... It's one of his best scores in years. Also worth taking into account is that it's almost a double album e.g. 19 tracks. Now that doesn't define quality of course... but if you stripped/edited it down to 10 or 11 tracks, it would be a bloody good soundtrack.

agentsands77

Darth Vile said:
Nah... It's one of his best scores in years.
How many years are you thinking? Because I'd give PRIZONER OF AZKABAN, REVENGE OF THE SITH, and MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA the edge over this score.

Darth Vile said:
Also worth taking into account is that it's almost a double album e.g. 19 tracks. Now that doesn't define quality of course... but if you stripped/edited it down to 10 or 11 tracks, it would be a bloody good soundtrack.
This is partially true. But I don't even think the "good" tracks are really that spectacular. The two tracks I really think bring something to the table are "Call of the Crystal" and the second part of "The Departure" (which is really beautiful).

Rococo

Darth Vile said:
Rococo,

If you are referring to the end of the finale. I think you'll find that's actually Mutt's theme taking on the Raiders refrain... (so unfortunately I don't think we'll here it again unless Mutt is involved).

I've actually heard quite a bit of back and forth on that particular point. Musically, there is no actual "Mutt's Theme". We hear a similar set of notes back where Mutt is swinging on the vines, but whether that is actually "Mutt's Theme" per se, or simply "Mutt swinging on the vines" theme isn't terribly clear.

nitzsche

Mutt's theme played during the entire swordfight and the vine swinging as well. It's definitely his theme and it is a mirror to Indy's.

Jones_Happens

nitzsche said:
Mutt's theme played during the entire swordfight and the vine swinging as well. It's definitely his theme and it is a mirror to Indy's.
Yeah, I picked up on this as well. It's pretty cool what Williams is able to do with various characters.

Darth Vile

agentsands77 said:
How many years are you thinking? Because I'd give PRIZONER OF AZKABAN, REVENGE OF THE SITH, and MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA the edge over this score.

My comments have to be seen in context with my opinions, as I think Williams is truly a great composer. Whilst I can appreciate the score for the Harry Potter movies, I can't really say I like any of them (particularly POA). I love the soundtrack to ROTS, but if I were being over critical, I'd say it falls a little short due to the omnipresence/overuse of the 'force theme' throughout (even in Battle of the Heros). So for me, I'd definitely give the KOTCS score preference over POA, AOTC and ROTS (perhaps not MOAG).

Darth Vile

Went to see the Halle orchestra last night (special celebrating the music of John Williams performance). The music (as you would expect) was fantastic. I can?t explain what it's like to actually see/hear an 80-piece orchestra playing 'The Raiders March'. It was quite moving. Williams is a genius.

deckard24

I got the soundtrack myself recently, and after listening to it all the way through I've gotta say I'm not that impressed! I never thought I'd feel so underwhelmed by a Williams/Indy score, but this one just doesn't excite me like the others. It's not terrible, it's just not great! There's a lot of recycling of old music, which I get for specific scenes, but none of the new stuff save the The Spell of the Skull and The Call of the Crystal is that riveting.

YouNeverKnow

Does anyone else feel that while the feel of the movie took a leap forward in time, Williams chose to go backwards? Both 'The Call of the Crystal' and 'Irina's Theme' sound VERY retro to me, as if they belong in something akin to The Maltese Falcon. It's just the feeling of it. Irina's Theme is so sultry and lush with all the strings it really fleshes out some kind of yesteryear seductress, IMO.

Katarn07

I don't have the soundtrack and I've only seen the movie once. The only things I remember from it were the Raiders March, the Ark Theme/Map Room music, and the Grail music (what exactly was that doing in there?!). So I agree, it wasn't as good as it should have been. I remember humming Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and Battle of Heroes nonstop after I saw the prequels for the first time. Like 'em or hate 'em, you can't really fault the soundtracks for the prequel trilogy too much, especially after seeing KotCS.

sarah navarro

Darth Vile said:
I can?t explain what it's like to actually see/hear an 80-piece orchestra playing 'The Raiders March'. It was quite moving. Williams is a genius.
I know that feeling,i almost cried,I was at the Hollywood bowl and the first note i heard (just the very first tuba,trombone note)i screamed then every else started screaming it one of the best experiences ive ever had.Very fun,i cant wait to go see John Williams again this year with the Los Angeles Philharmonic(y)

Darth Vile

YouNeverKnow said:
Does anyone else feel that while the feel of the movie took a leap forward in time, Williams chose to go backwards? Both 'The Call of the Crystal' and 'Irina's Theme' sound VERY retro to me, as if they belong in something akin to The Maltese Falcon. It's just the feeling of it. Irina's Theme is so sultry and lush with all the strings it really fleshes out some kind of yesteryear seductress, IMO.

Nope I don't agree. If anything, I think some of the new themes are reminiscent of late 50?s early 60?s cold war/spy movies (specifically John Barry?s James Bond scores).

Darth Vile

deckard24 said:
There's a lot of recycling of old music, which I get for specific scenes, but none of the new stuff save the The Spell of the Skull and The Call of the Crystal is that riveting.

Hmmm - Not sure about that one. The Ark theme is referenced (to allude to the fact that it's the same warehouse from Raiders). Marion's theme is obviously in there for the 'Raiders March' and 'Finale' (which is to be expected). But I don?t think it?s fair to say it?s recycling from the other Indy movies.

Rococo

sarah navarro said:
I know that feeling,i almost cried,I was at the Hollywood bowl and the first note i heard (just the very first tuba,trombone note)i screamed then every else started screaming it one of the best experiences ive ever had.Very fun,i cant wait to go see John Williams again this year with the Los Angeles Philharmonic(y)

Is that the Summer concert again at the Hollywood Bowl? I read about that, and am debating going- it sounds like great fun. In your experience, does JW do a lot of Indy stuff in his general concerts- or usually just Raiders March and that's it?