TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,038
If no Indy V is ever made....

If there's never any Indy V, does anyone else think the George Hall segments of Young Indy should be brought back in? As far as I was aware they were only taken out to keep the idea of Indy dying in "Indy 4" open. Yeah, Mutt's not mentioned, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. And I don't see why he and Marion couldn't have produced another child, a daughter. Would be nice to see that Indy lived at least into the 1990s.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
If there's never any Indy V, does anyone else think the George Hall segments of Young Indy should be brought back in? As far as I was aware they were only taken out to keep the idea of Indy dying in "Indy 4" open. Yeah, Mutt's not mentioned, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. And I don't see why he and Marion couldn't have produced another child, a daughter. Would be nice to see that Indy lived at least into the 1990s.

Since Lucas doesn't mind changing his creations there's nothing stopping him putting Hall back in, and taking him back out again. But I don't think he would. Seeing that far into Indy's future, and with no visible Mutt, puts limits on Lucas' plans.

However, I regard Hall as an Indy imposter. It's as though Indy disappeared, and 'Old Indy', who'd been following 'real Indy's' career, starting making a history for himself by telling stories laced with reality, but heavily embellished - such as the Halloween tale; the absurd Kafka story; and given time he'd also have told the one about the refrigerator...

It would make sense that 'real Indy' never existed. So there never was an Ark of the Covenant either. It also explains all the other anachronisms, such as that bar in Nepal etc etc.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
TalonCard
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 151
Wait, so in your opinion the only "genuine" Indy scenes in the entire series and movies are the now-excised and cheaply made George Hall scenes? That's a little...far fetched.

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Mephisto
IndyFan
 
Mephisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Indy only existed in the mind of a young autistic boy.
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonCard
Wait, so in your opinion the only "genuine" Indy scenes in the entire series and movies are the now-excised and cheaply made George Hall scenes? That's a little...far fetched.

TC

Wait, so in your opinion Indiana Jones isn't far-fetched?

If Old Indy was the teller of all stories then he has a lot in common with Baron Munchausen, or Forrest Gump. An American bar in forbidden Nepal. Machines and weapons in existence before their creation. Meeting just about every famous person living at the time. Finding the Ark and the Holy Grail. Meeting aliens and invoking Shiva. Meeting Dracula and entering the wacky world of Kafka. Thrown clear of an atomic blast inside a refrigerator.

Yes, these are the tall stories of somebody seeking attention.

Or,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto
Indy only existed in the mind of a young autistic boy.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Wait, so in your opinion Indiana Jones isn't far-fetched?

If Old Indy was the teller of all stories then he has a lot in common with Baron Munchausen, or Forrest Gump. An American bar in forbidden Nepal. Machines and weapons in existence before their creation. Meeting just about every famous person living at the time. Finding the Ark and the Holy Grail. Meeting aliens and invoking Shiva. Meeting Dracula and entering the wacky world of Kafka. Thrown clear of an atomic blast inside a refrigerator.

Yes, these are the tall stories of somebody seeking attention.

In fairness, people do enter the wacky world of Kafka and the maddening bureaucratic nightmares within all the time. I'd say that particular adventure does bring Indy and his exploits back a bit into the realm of the not only plausible but all-too-commonplace.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
If there's never any Indy V, does anyone else think the George Hall segments of Young Indy should be brought back in? As far as I was aware they were only taken out to keep the idea of Indy dying in "Indy 4" open.
The thought that the Old Indy segments were removed to keep the idea of Indy dying in "Indy 4" open, is only fan speculation. No official word has ever stated this (as far as I know). The bookends were discontinued while the show was still being aired and plans to package coupled episodes into telefilms (without Old Indy) goes back as early as 1996.

I highly doubt they will ever be put back in but...who knows? Only time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Yeah, Mutt's not mentioned, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. And I don't see why he and Marion couldn't have produced another child, a daughter.
Raiders112390, considering you didn't see the show during it's original run on television, where did you watch the George Hall segments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto
Indy only existed in the mind of a young autistic boy.
Oh, man, dig it! Mephisto, you MUST be a referring to the very, last scene in the final episode of the great, '80s TV series, "St. Elsewhere"! Dr. Westphall and his autistic son, Tommy (who is mentioned throughout the series but never actually seen until this part). It's an alternate reality where Dr. Westphall isn't a doctor and Tommy spends his time looking into a snowglobe with a miniature model of the hospital inside. The last line was something like, "I wonder what it is you think of when you stare into that thing?". Brilliant ending.

Your theory is resonating because Indy is no stranger to looking into a snowglobe!

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.