Indy on the cover: Cinemania, Maverick

nitzsche

I'm all for any kind of spin-off series starring Shia. We need another fun franchise in the vein of Indiana Jones.

Dr.Sartorius

I'm all for a Mutt Williams solo adventure movie if that's what Lucas and Spielberg want to do. Its a whole other story if Mutt takes on the "mantle" of Indiana Jones. Seeing this character inherit the hat and whip is not how I want Harrison Ford make his comeback.

MattJones

Dr.Sartorius said:
I'm all for a Mutt Williams solo adventure movie if that's what Lucas and Spielberg want to do. Its a whole other story if Mutt takes on the "mantle" of Indiana Jones. Seeing this character inherit the hat and whip is not how I want Harrison Ford make his comeback.

Wholeheartedly.

As long as the character remains its own essence as opposed to trying to be Indiana Jones, I'll be fine.

sarah navarro

i like thepicture of steven and harrison on the bottom corner it makes me so happy:p
I dont think Shia would do a Indy tv series hes a movie actor now hes already had his tv glory.

Dr.Sartorius

Well Robert Downey Jr is on the April cover of Empire. Maybe Indy will be on May's. :rolleyes:

Oh, also on the April cover is a small photo of Mutt with the caption: "Shia Labeouf is Indy Jr!".

OK, I just checked the Empire website and the magazine preview says the May issue will be the "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Celebration Issue". It goes on sale March 28.

http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/interactive.asp

Last edited:

Stoo

Sakis said:
Although there is nothing new about the film I thought you would like to check out these magazine covers www.indianajones.es has published. Also Indy will be on the cover of the British EMPIRE issue in April.
Sakis, I was in Barcelona just this past weekend. I did check some
magazine racks but didn?t see these. Damn!

Cool news about the Empire issue. Thanks, Doc.

Stoo

Dr. Sartorius, if you can't find a way, send me your address via Private Message
and I'll mail you one.:hat:

Dr.Sartorius

Stoo said:
Dr. Sartorius, if you can't find a way, send me your address via Private Message
and I'll mail you one.:hat:

Thanks for the offer. I'd rather have the Cinelive Indy issue though. I got the cover issue with Shia mixed up with that one.

I wish American movie magazines would have more cover stories on Indy 4. Why do all the European magazines get the good stuff?

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
From the latest Empire issue.
empire_april08a.jpg

empire_april08b.jpg

empire_april08c.jpg

QBComics

Cool picture of Shia on the front but I am worring about Indy Jr. I just hope these magazines don't know what they are talking about.

Kingsley

nitzsche said:
I'm all for any kind of spin-off series starring Shia. We need another fun franchise in the vein of Indiana Jones.
It's not that terrible... if they try to reach the same quality, it can't hurt very much.

Darth Vile

There is only one Indiana Jones. If they want to make a movie about Indiana Jones Jr. then that's ok with me, but my interest will always be for the Harrison character.

Also, if KOTCS is a big success, I think they are more likely to either A) Make another Indy with Harrison (with an audience that's bought into an older Indy). B) Do a self contained 'Young Indiana Jones' prequel trilogy.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Free "The Indy Diaries"? God, I hope they include that in down here's version or I'll be really pissed. As for the Indy Jnr healine, that could be misleading. Empire has done that before and it was just speculation.

G-Man

Empire Magazine the Shia interview

For those of you who can't get hold of Empire. This is from the latest (April 2008) Empire magazine interview with Shia.

It was <i>terrifying</i> to join this franchise. Everything you imagine it is, is exactly what it is. You don't want to be the addition who ruined everything. And you know there's going to be so much critique, that it can be quite daunting. But Harrison always used to say before every take, 'Alright, let's shoot this s**t.' It was his way of alleviating the pressure. Another hats-off thing about Harrison is that he's the troop leader - he's General Patton; the guy leading the surge. When you're around him, you don't feel the pressure.
On his inspiration...

I watched Blackboard Jungle a lot, and watched The Wild One all the time. I would steal mannerisms and words. Bascially, that's what my research was: just theft! I mean, the closest picture you can get of the time is in film, and so Steven would bring these DVDs in for homework.
On the influence he made to the film...

I'd bring a switchblade in and say, 'Hey Steven, what do you think of this?' I had worked on it for a month and a half, flipping it and being able to mess around with it in a cool way. I'd film myself and bring the DVD to show Steven and he'd say, "Yeah that's awesome.' So then we'd implement it. It's amazing how much freedom he allows.

metalinvader

It was terrifying to join this franchise. Everything you imagine it is, is exactly what it is. You don't want to be the addition who ruined everything. And you know there's going to be so much critique, that it can be quite daunting.

You know,I actually gained alot of respect for him with that quote.He clearly has respect for the franchise and doesn't want to see it tarnished.It's nice to see that he doesn't see this as "Just another job"...Hell,That is clear by reading or watching any of his other interviews.

NamedAfterDaDog

...Is anyone else catching the *coughVERYANNOYINGcough* drift that Mutt's and Spalko's swords are more important than the actual skulls? :rolleyes:

Not seriously, but still - a 50's greaser has a sword in almost every picture of him. And Indy's throat has so many swords pointed at it I'm surprised he's not already decapitated. :p
It's annoying, and I don't know why, which is making it even more annoying.

And metalinvader, I agree. Very respectable comment by Shia.

Peace.

Stoo

NamedAfterDaDog said:
It's annoying, and I don't know why, which is making it even more annoying.
They are only showing bits & pieces of a few "select" scenes and saving the surprises for later.
Don't worry about it!:)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I knew that's where he was taking the Mutt character. I watched "The Wild One" around the time they first revealed what Shia's character looked like. When I watched it, I was like "hang on a sec, maybe this is what Mutt might be like." I'm not really surprised that is an influence on his potrayal. Thanks for those quotes, G-Man.