Watching in Chronological Order or Release Order

Which order do you perfer to watch the trilogy with?

• Chronological-ToD, ROTLA, LC

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Release order- ROTLA, ToD, LC

Votes: 65 67.7%

• Total voters

MolaRam2

I'm excluding KOTCS from this on purpose since this forum is for the trilogy, it isn't an oversight.

Chronologically the films should be viewed in this order: ToD, ROTLA, LC.

If you view them in release order they should be viewed in this order: ROTLA, TOD, LC.

I perfer to view them in release order. ROTLA and LC are too similar to watch back to back in chronological order. Putting ToD in the middle mixes things up a bit.

No Ticket

Start at the end of LC and watch it backwards on rewind... repeat with Raiders and TOD last.

Followed up by YIJC series on fast forward.

(I guess you can't really call it rewind anymore since there's nothing to wind on discs, haha)

The_Raiders

Whenever I watch the trilogy I always prefer the chronological order, I'm not too sure why, but that's just what I prefer. :p

Dust McAlan

Temple of Doom, Raiders, Last Crusade.

That way, with Crystal Skull, there will (hopefully) be a couple of darker end caps to the series, chronologically speaking.

jonesissparrow

I'm kind of old fashion so I always watch it chronologically because too me it makes sense because TOD is set in 1935 and ROTLA is set in 1936 and LC is set in 1938. I'm the same way with the Star Wars saga I go to the prequels first then the original beauties.

UltimateManGod

I'm a chronological guy, if I plan on watching all three in a relative close amount of time. Not really sure why I prefer it that way though. I just like thing in some logical order sometimes, and going by internal chronology is logical enough.

Crack that whip

I'm currently attempting to get through all the previous Indy adventures on DVD in order of internal chronology before going to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull right now, actually (so, the three volumes of Young Indy in order, then Temple of Doom, etc.), though I'm not sure I have time enough to finish between now and my mignight showing. :eek:

How anyone should watch these is entirely up to the viewer, of course. It's a matter of personal preference.

I personally seldom have time to watch more than one in a viewing session, but when I do I sometimes go in release order, but usually prefer internal chronology.

Vendetta08

MolaRam2 said:
I perfer to view them in release order. ROTLA and LC are too similar to watch back to back in chronological order. Putting ToD in the middle mixes things up a bit.

Same here.

Goodsport

MolaRam2 said:
I'm excluding KOTCS from this on purpose since this forum is for the trilogy, it isn't an oversight.

It wouldn't matter even if you did include KotCS since it clearly takes place after the three previous films. ;)

But for the record, I like watching them in release order.

-G

Major West

Release order, otherwise the biggest gag in ToD doesn't make sense.

And the only reason ToD was set a year before Raiders was so they didn't have to explain what happened with Marion. So I don't see any big need to watch ToD first.

marky_77

i tend to go raiders then crusade, raiders crusade :rolleyes:

but if i did watch them all back to back i would watch them as they came out on the silver screen. the 1936 to 1935 doesn't bother me, i class them as 2 different films regardless of when they were set. i don't like to think of the doom exploits coming before raiders. what an awful thought! :sick:

oki9Sedo

Temple of Doom was made as a prequel to Raiders, but not with the intention that you see it first. It was made with the intention that you see it second, having already seen what Indy will be like and therefore get to see some interesting backstory.

Billy Ray

Just watched all three this past weekend. My wife and kids wanted to watch all three before KOTCS and I figured we should watch them in the order they came out.

oki9Sedo

Billy Ray said:
Just watched all three this past weekend. My wife and kids wanted to watch all three before KOTCS and I figured we should watch them in the order they came out.

Which is actually the film-maker's intended way, unlike the Star Wars prequels, where Lucas wants people to see I-III before IV-VI.

Temple of Doom was not designed with the intention of seeing it first. It was designed with the intention of seeing it second IN LIGHT of what we have seen in Raiders.

ReggieSnake

Release order. The three films subscribe in a way to the classic trilogy setup, without an actual continuity in storyline :

Raiders: Introduction, Adventure
Temple: Darker, Intense
Last Crusade: Meaning, Finality, Tying the loose ends together

I prefer to watch them in that order as well.

LostArk

I watch them in release order. Raiders is nidge better than Temple and its the perfect way to kick off a marathon. As oki9Sedo said, we aren't supposed to watch Temple first because we don't know what Indy does or anything and the intro would bore a newcomer to the series.

To each his/her own, I guess.

Crack that whip

It doesn't really matter for most purposes, though as noted earlier, I did lead myself into Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by watching all Indy's previous adventures, in the order of the internal chronology (more or less) - so, going all the way through The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones and then to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and so on. It was immensely satisfying.

Watching them all in this way, with so much material to get through, obviated any impetus to view the first three movies as a "trilogy" with an ostensibly darker middle chapter, so this order was just fine. If I'd been watching just the three movies, of course, it's true that Temple assumes audience familiarity with Raiders even if it takes place before it, and there's no real need to watch them in order, so the release order might here be preferable, but again, it doesn't really matter.

NoCamels

Normally I watch the movies in release order, but watching them in chronological order is interesting once in a while.

I did find watching the completely chronological Indy-thon (all Young Indy episodes and the movies in chronological order of events) to be really interesting. The beginning of Last Crusade actually makes some kind of sense between the last Corey Carrier episode (Journey of Radiance?) and the first Sean Patrick Flanery episode (Spring Break Adventure). I too found it kind of satsifying.