New Indy 4 images from Monopoly

AHegele

I expect people to criticize and rip apart every new aspect to the movie. Why not? It's been twenty years since we've last seen him and every frame of the original movies is chiseled in their minds. I would request that those same people never be in the position to create anything on film, because if you are this critical you'll never be free enough to make any film worth watching. I'm not saying this to counter any criticism, by all means criticize. i'm simply saying that there are certain people who look at a line, or look at a costume or a photograph on set and only see the worst possible way it could deliver on screen, not the best.

MaxPhactor23

I'm just waiting for more lines of this nature. Can you imagine? "Ants...why'd it have to be ants?" I can just picture a new bounder rolling after poor Indy. Oh god.

The funniest and saddest part is that some dim-wit would inevitably shout "BRILLIANT" too!

Last edited:

No Ticket

AHegele said:
I expect people to criticize and rip apart every new aspect to the movie. Why not? It's been twenty years since we've last seen him and every frame of the original movies is chiseled in their minds. I would request that those same people never be in the position to create anything on film, because if you are this critical you'll never be free enough to make any film worth watching. I'm not saying this to counter any criticism, by all means criticize. i'm simply saying that there are certain people who look at a line, or look at a costume or a photograph on set and only see the worst possible way it could deliver on screen, not the best.

I don't think you understand. That line represents everything I was hoping Indy 4 would not be. Because that line has existed for a long time. It was kind of the perfect example of a bad "geeky fan choice" they could make. Like when someone said, "Hey Indy should find the golden idol from Raiders!" ... and all I want is another Indy adventure, not silly nods to the earlier films. And if you put them in there, make them be more clever than a line EVERYONE saw coming.

I'm not overly critiquing anything. I've been on the positive side of things forever. I like the trailer. I like most everything I know about KOTCS. Except this stupid stupid line.

And that fridge. If Indy gets inside a refrigator... that just sounds so dumb. From what I hear, that early script was a joke. And the scene with the fridge was one of it's lame punchlines.

But no! I WANT to be optimistic. But they're making it harder on me. I'm still excited about it. It's not like I flat out think the movie is going to suck.

One line can't hurt the whole thing. That's not the point. It's the fact that they THOUGHT that line was a good idea... scares me to imagine what else they thought was a good idea.

Kingsley

I haven't seen blind criticism here. Most posters who don't like that line are usually positive ones.

It's the fact that it seems 'Nostalgia' will be the main force this time. I'm ok with that. But then I will enjoy the movie for what the others where, and not for its own value!

Ok, ok... its just a line. But its just THE line!

No Ticket

Kingsley said:
I haven't seen blind criticism here. Most posters who don't like that line are usually positive ones.

It's the fact that it seems 'Nostalgia' will be the main force this time. I'm ok with that. But then I will enjoy the movie for what the others where, and for its own value!

Ok, ok... its just a line. But its just THE line!

Yeah. Looks like it's going to be a force-fed nostalgiariffic 2 hours. I swear if they have a cameo of Short Round to go with all this... (Pllllleeease noooo)

Kingsley

No Ticket said:
Yeah. Looks like it's going to be a force-fed nostalgiariffic 2 hours. I swear if they have a cameo of Short Round to go with all this... (Pllllleeease noooo)
Now I can say that, for the good of this movie, Sean Connery has chosen... wisely.

Indy hides in a fridge? From what? Mmmm...
I'm tempted, for the first time, to go ahead in a 'Replicant' mode and make fun about the silly things we are getting to know. That's a bad sign :(

MaxPhactor23

I’m not even going to lie. I’ve never had much hope for Crystal Skull anyway. If the Star Wars prequels had turned out better, then perhaps I’d have had faith. But personally I found the contemporary Star Wars movies to be embarrassing. To this very day, on the few occasions that I actually try and attempt to view it, I still can only watch a total of around a half hour of Attack of the Clones. I can’t manage any more. Thank god for scene select. I thought Steven and Harrison would keep Lucas in check. It seems I thought wrong. I haven't liked what this film has been shaping into for some time now. I never thought I'd even hear mention of alien beings and Indiana Jones in the same sentence. I think many will dislike it, as much as The Phantom Menace. I could be wrong, I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm doubting it. Now, of course Star Wars and Indiana Jones are two entirely different franchises. Heck, I’ve always been bothered by how Indiana Jones is treated like the Star War franchises little kid brother. But George Lucas is no longer the man I loved. I’d prefer to think he died and this modern day Lucas is simply a flawed clone gone mad. For all intensive purposes, and I’m sure I’ll inevitably be bashed for this, I never felt we needed another installment to begin with. Sometimes it’s best to just let something die with dignity, on a high note. I fear this film will be a blemish on an otherwise flawless series.

Last edited:

No Ticket

Kingsley said:
Now I can say that, for the good of this movie, Sean Connery has chosen... wisely.

Indy hides in a fridge? From what? Mmmm...
I'm tempted, for the first time, to go ahead in a 'Replicant' mode and make fun about the silly things we are getting to know. That's a bad sign :(

If you really want to know.
I believe it was an atomic explosion. "Doom Town."
Not sure if it is a spoiler or not, but I made it this way just in case some of you don't want to know.

MaxPhactor23

AHegele said:

Ridley Scott is the most critical and obsessive compulsive director I'm familiar with. Movies made by such people aren't worth watching? Perhaps to you, but thats very thick because...when last I looked...Ridley Scott owns Oscars.

commontone

Personally I love the Doom Town premise. I've only glanced through the Saucer Men script so I can't comment on how it was handled there. But the idea itself--Indy and whoever find themselves in a strangely perfect abandoned town in the desert only to realize it's a nuclear test site and oh-no-good-god-there's-a-test-scheduled-for-today--is frickin' golden.

A nuclear explosion in an Indy film is a brilliant way to emphasize that he is in a new era. And it's the kind of thing Spielberg does really well..he can build tense atmospheres with the best of them.

AHegele

MaxPhactor23 said:
Ridley Scott is the most critical and obsessive compulsive director I'm familiar with. Movies made by such people aren't worth watching? Perhaps to you, but thats very thick because...when last I looked...Ridley Scott owns Oscars.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Ridely Scott is a great filmmaker and it is because he looks at material and sees the very best possible outcome of it. He takes what is written and makes it work. he needs to be compulsive about every aspect to make it work. What i am saying is; sometimes people see or read certain aspects of this film and only ever envision a dumb way for it to play into the piece as a whole. They look at a line and say: too corny. They look at a picture and say: too campy. A lot of screenplays are like that. A good filmmaker will make it work out.

and by the way, despite being someone who deserves it, Ridley has never won an oscar.

Dr. Gonzo

Now that I think about it I think the best possible way for Jones to get out of atomic harms way, is by somehow taking that rocket sled for a one way ticket out of "Doom Town" before the whole sh*t house goes up in flames.

...or something anything is better than the fridge

commontone

So in the Saucer Men script Indy survives an atomic blast by hiding in the fridge? I can see why that would be a source of worry. It's stupid.

The "Doom Town" is presumably within the blast radius of the bomb. Even if the fridge kept him from being totally atomized, it would get hot enough to cook him medium rare. Even if THAT didn't happen, he'd have a lethal dose of radiation.

This is probably a very old realization to some of you. I do like the Doom Town idea; and I like the idea of him escaping on an emergency rocket sled of some kind.

Stop panicking everyone! I understand they put that fridge there so Harrison could hide from Calista whenever she showed up on set.

Last place she'd ever look....

MaxPhactor23

AHegele said:
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Ridely Scott is a great filmmaker and it is because he looks at material and sees the very best possible outcome of it. He takes what is written and makes it work. he needs to be compulsive about every aspect to make it work. What i am saying is; sometimes people see or read certain aspects of this film and only ever envision a dumb way for it to play into the piece as a whole. They look at a line and say: too corny. They look at a picture and say: too campy. A lot of screenplays are like that. A good filmmaker will make it work out.

and by the way, despite being someone who deserves it, Ridley has never won an oscar.

With all do respect, I don't agree with that at all. Essentially what you're saying is that there are no bad scripts, simply only bad directors. Is that fair to say? I find that flawed. If anything I see it just the opposite, that a good script can carry a bad director. If you don’t believe in bad scripts, let me introduce you to the Saucer Men from Mars script. That wouldn’t take a brilliant director to salvage, it would take a nonexistent fantasy director to make good. And even then, it would still suck. Hah! ;)

And I heard this about Ridley Scoot via the Blade Runner make-of documentary. Harrison Ford utterly despised making that film. Ridley demanded perfection and no less. He was downright harsh. And Ridley Scott does own Oscars actually, simply no personal Oscars - AKA best director.

Last edited:

xVendetta17x

I guess the warehouse is in Area 51
And just because they took "Doom Town" aspect from SMFM doens't mean he's going to hide in the fridge
Breaking it down it's an Atomic Explosion isn't a bad idea, hiding in the fridge is
Koepp and Darabont are great scriptwriters and if any of them took that element from SMFM i'm sure that they would see the stupidity of getting Indy to hide in a fridge

Last edited:

Mickiana

If you can swallow the idea of the power of god erupting from a box of gold and wood, why not the presence of aliens? Aliens in the story have got to be more likely than any god showing up to take care of the baddies. Mind you, I'm not saying it's the best idea. I can already see the next movie after KOTCS - Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Crop Circles! Well, why not?(!!!)

MaxPhactor23

Mickiana said:
If you can swallow the idea of the power of god erupting from a box of gold and wood, why not the presence of aliens? Aliens in the story have got to be more likely than any god showing up to take care of the baddies. Mind you, I'm not saying it's the best idea. I can already see the next movie after KOTCS - Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Crop Circles! Well, why not?(!!!)

I’ve been a big fan of the Indiana Jones films for years, and I really hope that the new movie doesn’t degenerate into a bunch of tabloid-level alien astronaut nonsense. Of course, I’m open to the idea that alien life forms may have visited our planet at some point in the distant past. However, beyond accepting this as a very mere possibility, I find the elaborations of this hypothesis presented by writers like Immanuel Velikovsky, Eric von Danniken, Zecharia Sitchin, John Anthony West, etc. as completely lacking in credibility. In spite of all the hype that ancient astronaut fans have written about the crystal skulls in recent years, there is not one shred of evidence proving anything about them other than the fact that they are remarkable human artifacts produced by artists with amazing skills. So far, Indiana Jones has ventured into relatively respectable real mythic territories: the missing Ark of the Covenant, the Thuggee cult, and the Holy Grail. Much of the previous films are based upon real folklore, myth, legend, and archeology. Aliens being more likely? No! Godly power erupting from the Ark is true myth, actually in the Bible, and some believe its powers to be real in and of itself. Alien origins have never been even close to proven, and most real archeologists consider Ancient Astronaut theories to be ridiculous. If Lucas makes Indy flounder in the silly, New Age wake churned up by the dubious Chariots of the Gods, then this new film will be dead in the water, as far as I’m concerned. What’s next? Indiana Jones and the Legend of Big Foot? Indiana Jones and the T-rex of Terror? Indiana Jones and the Scientologists of Doom?

Last edited: