How Will it End?

bob

'allo

I' am sure that most of us believe that Indy IV should be the final Indiana Jones Film, (With harrison in it at least!) even the prospect of adventures set before Raiders, leaves us with the fact that the 50's should be as far as the Indy adventures should go. So it all needs to end somehow, something with finality.
Some Options:
- Death
Well Indy could die, I doubt this would happen but it is possible, and if he sacrificed himself for his son or the world that would be a good enough end for me.

Henry Could Die, i believe that this is a far more likely occurance as surely by the mid 50's henry must be in his 70's or 80's!, and his being in the film must have a point, this could end Indys adventuring days.

Retirment
- In my opinion Indy is likely to be retired from adveturing at the beginning of the movie as he is 50+, but he could retire disillusioned from the new world, and not understanding it. Perhaps him living with Sallah or going to Nepal.

Handing Down the Fetora
- Indy could hand down the Hat to his son (No comment from me).

It seems to me that the Films need to find a way to end the saga, that is why i believe that the film will have some sort of apoclyptic fever to it (esps from rumours of Eden going back to the place life was "created"). But the Indy films must end some how

Fanboy

I envision Indy walking up a long cliff, we see his profile, and then Indy quickly turns around and flashes the whip at the camera.....

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I think it'll be left open-ended. Where anything could happen after the last shot. Leaving the audience to mentally create their own adventure/conclusion on their drive home from the theater.

jones

Yeah but Aaron how will THAT part end lol? This is what I think...Indy dying? NO Henry dying? NO Retirement? not really cause it's more fun knowing he goes on other adventures. But it's not as bad as the other ones. Passin the Fedora? NO. I like something what Fanboy said. That would be really cool. But they can't have everyone rididng off again cause they did that in LC. Iduno how it should end. That's hard!

wolfgang

I envision Indy walking up a long cliff, we see his profile, and then Indy quickly turns around and flashes the whip at the camera.....

I love that idea fanboy. but how about this: indy kissing the female in the sunset, and leaves with her, then he turns and whips the camera. i really liked the iddea :D

bob

an idea? - The Disillusioned Scenario

I really feel that the saga needs some sort of conclusion, weather it is imagined or real we must get the feeling that something has changed with Indy. How about:
Girl: You've done it Indy you've saved us all from deverstation, if the Soviets had got their hands on X ITEM they would have enslaved Freedom, and destroyed society as we know it.
Indy looks upinto the clouds to see a cloud that looks like a musharoom cloud, and then he hears an explosion in his mind and jolts.
Girl: Indy?
Indy: I'm getting out of here
Girl: Im coming
Indy: No you stay here, i have somethings i have to do
Indy walks off soloumly into the Desert Sunset.

vornoff

Fanboy said:

Nice one ... i like that one a lot.

Indiana Jones is a complex character who will likely have kind of a sad fate.

scifiwolf

I personally think that cracking the whip at the camera is too corny. The whole riding-off-into-the-sunset motiff is too cliched. It should be like the first film, not the exact same thing, but that general idea: the world is much larger than we think and it doesn't necessarily revolve around what Indy does or does not do.

Just an afterthought, I certainly don't have the answer, and I don't think any of you could claim to either. That is why we don't make the decisions and George, Steven, and Harrison do. But if this film is going to be worthwhile with Paramount and the fans, it will have to return to the same formula that made Raiders of the Lost Ark the timeless classic that it is.

QueZTone

now Indy 4 is coming closer and his age is going to play a big part, people with the age of calista flokhart are also playing in this movie, indy having offspring that will carry on his/her dads legacy, etc etc I'm definitly beginning to get cold feet over this new project..

i think monkey (i think it was monkey) phrased it best a while ago, "do we really need/want indy 4?"

BigIndyFan

Well I think Indy will be searching for Heaven itself, and I imagine him walking up the white stairs toward a gate and then it fades....*roll credits*

jones

I like the idea of Indy kissin the girl at the end of a clif in the sunset. With Henry on one side looking out into the sun set and Sallah on the other side looking out. Then they all turn around on there horses and ride towards the camera, the camera turns and they ride off. Credits roll! They dont need a stupid ending or anything though. Keep it classic. No passin. No dyin.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe end the film with Indy "dying" and after the credits show a shot that hints at the possiblity that he lived after all.
Trick the audience, so to speak.

jones

Now i'm gunna stay through all the credits lol!! I don't think The Big 3 would do that though. But it is a really cool idea. Cause most of the people don't stay through the credits and they would miss it. And I just don't think that'd happen. But even if that does happen it's not really a happy ending. Indy movies need the good happy endings! Like TOD and LC. I liked Raiders ending but it doesnt end really on a happy note. It makes you think.

bob

I really believe that the traditional endings will not work, as Indy is a reflection of the Pop Hero's of his day and the film will need to show the demise of the pulp hero and the Black and White World view.

Besides I dont know about any of you, but i want to see something relatively new. Not just another rehash of Raiders, as everyone knows the Formula, and the film has a good opportunity to say something.

monkey

Thanks QT for remembering something that I posted. And I stand by it.

I don't like too much about this whole Indy IV thing.

the 50's?, Indy with kids? Apocalyptic plot lines?

Where did Indiana Jones the 1930's action adventure hero go?

They can do what they want with Indy IV, and they can end it any way they want.

If they make this movie the way it appears they are going to make it, then as far as I'm concerned Indy's last adventure was, well...er.. The Last Crusade.

jimmi

i don't see how the whip to the camera would work. that would acknowledge there was a camera there and an audience following him. i can see it now, done with some OTT matrix style cinematography. i guess the most likely end, love it or hate it is the passing on the hat. it would put an end to indy's life as an adventurer though may set up a dodgy spin off series with his son bumbling around india in the 60s looking to find himself.

Coldfyre

I think the whip idea is stupid for the reason mentioned above. Besides, why would Indy whip an innocent camera? What did the cameraman do to him?? It's out of character. It's like the end of Super Metroid where Samus gives you a thumbs-up, then SHOOTS you. WTF??

[Edited by Coldfyre on 06-24-2002 at 02:58 AM]

Jones_86

It's too bad LC can't finish up the series....riding off into the sunset was brilliant.....i wonder how they'll top that???

OUT