nazca_656

I have 3 questions:

1. Will Marion punch Indy?

2. Will Indy use his gun?

3. Is that punch sound back?

Thanks

PS: sorry for bad english;)

Darth Vile

I'd rather have CGI than the stop motion puppets of the mine car chase in TOD. Saying that, because some of the stop motion in TOD is poor, they cut back and forth to the live action very frequently which disguises it somewhat. They aren't so subtle with the use of CGI (which is mostly better), so it sometimes appears to be more in your face... I think that's part of the problem with CGI i.e. it remains in shot too long and thus it dominates.

Zorg

Darth Vile said:
I'd rather have CGI than the stop motion puppets of the mine car chase in TOD. Saying that, because some of the stop motion in TOD is poor, they cut back and forth to the live action very frequently which disguises it somewhat. They aren't so subtle with the use of CGI (which is mostly better), so it sometimes appears to be more in your face... I think that's part of the problem with CGI i.e. it remains in shot too long and thus it dominates.

I agree. The main problem is that some filmmakers are just too much in love with their CGI effects.

rowerguy7

Zorg said:
I agree. The main problem is that some filmmakers are just too much in love with their CGI effects.

agreed. look at two zombie movies. i am legend and 28 days later. which one seemed more realistic to you? im going to say 28 days later.

davejames

DrBeezer said:
yeah, one of them is involved with this movie. ;)

It's still funny when I think about it. Before the prequels most of us were supremely confident Lucas would be the LAST one to ever overuse CGI. "Unlike all these other hacks, Lucas knows how to tell a proper story and when to best use special effects," we said.

Yeah right. Turns out he was the worst offender of ALL. lol

Darth Vile

No way is Lucas the worst offender. If ever one movie (or set of movies) were going to re-define how effects were done, it was going to be the Star Wars prequels. Like them or loathe them, the Prequels were always going to push the boundaries (just like their original counterparts). The effects (namely CGI) in movies such as Spiderman, The Hulk, I Am Legend use the effects a lot more crassly that Lucas ever has (IMHO)... Indeed, just like the OT, you could argue that Lucas helped spawn the effects driven movies that came afterwards.

ROTLA

nazca_656 said:

Honestly, I don't recall him using the gun. Heck if they can remove all the guns from E.T., I guess they can take it away from Indy too!

Shindy

I had to turn down a ticket to a press screening in London tonight. Gutted, but I have to be on the road and in East Sussex by 7am 2morow for work. (n)

My friend (who offered the ticket) just got off the phone from me and was a gibbering wreck. He enjoyed the hell out of it and said it was easily the best sequel.

Hate the fact that I couldn't go, but I trust my friend and am now even more stoked for Thursday. Didn't think that was possible!(y)

paul mclaughlin

Well, I've seen it!

Just back from London preview screen - with a few hundred happy people in London's West End.

it's GREAT! Bit slow to start... but builds with great chases and effects. There's a lot of clever references to other films too. It's also a bit scary - some of the effects reminded me a bit of The Mummy from the 1990's.

And George has sort of thrown in a reference to American Graffitti - the petrolheads will know!

Possibly some cgi in there, or at least 'special effects'. Doesn't spoil though.

The audience didn't applaud afterwards... does this mean something?

But - we're going again on Thursday!

Paul :whip:

davejames

Darth Vile said:
No way is Lucas the worst offender. If ever one movie (or set of movies) were going to re-define how effects were done, it was going to be the Star Wars prequels. Like them or loathe them, the Prequels were always going to push the boundaries (just like their original counterparts). The effects (namely CGI) in movies such as Spiderman, The Hulk, I Am Legend use the effects a lot more crassly that Lucas ever has (IMHO)... Indeed, just like the OT, you could argue that Lucas helped spawn the effects driven movies that came afterwards.

Sure Lucas incorporated them into his movies much better than someone like Stephen Sommers ever has, but once you reach such a gigantically massive number of CG effects, it doesn't really matter anymore-- it becomes equally as mindnumbing to watch, and the actors are just as overwhelmed on screen.

Plus the prequels are almost nonstop CGI. You can't even say that about something like Mummy Returns or Van Helsing.

IrishLuck1980

The Star Wars Prequels had too much CGI. For God Sakes, not one person was in a Clone Trooper Costume. NOT ONE!!!! And I just got done with the Indy IV novel. Great read. The movie should be fantastic!!!

EDIT: And here is my main gripe with Original Trilogy Vs Prequel Trilogy Special Effects. Space Battles. You watch the Battle of Endor, now. And watch the Battle of Coruscant in about 5 yrs. You tell me which looks better. Those models are great. The ships feel like they have actual weight to them. You watch the Episode III space battle and it's like watching a cartoon. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Sam Falco

Do they REALLY think they are fooling anyone with their CGI in those new Star Wars movies? Really? I mean come on, you can SMELL the CGI in those flicks its so ridiculous, not to mention Lucas seems to have used all the takes where the actors didnt know the camera was running. Its like he just used shots where they were running their lines. Cant blame them for it, I wouldnt be able to act very well against a green ball either.

Dr. HenryJones.jr

look, I have read today the luxembourgish cinema called Utopolis, the view user has been send only star *** (three for movie) awwwww (***** mean is very good) :sick:
I will to go today late afternoon alone at the movie. :dead:

nzlc

It comes out here in 7 hours so excited i have to wait till wait till after school to see it though :(

DocWhiskey

I'm a gigantic Indyfan and I just want to say that I seen it a few hours back and...well...I'm disappointed. It didn't feel like an Indy movie to me. The action scenes were run of the mill and Lucas got his little CGI hands all over it. I hate to admit it, but it's quite forgettable. The only thing I like the most was the Motorcycle chase. Everything was just so "meh". Especially with Indy and Marion. Unsatisfying. I thought the wedding ending was ok. I'm still going to see it tomorrow, no that my expectations are low. If you have questions I'll answer them.

Dr.Mirakle32

I actually kind of agree. I was kinda dissapointed. I liked it alright, and I want to like it more, but for some reason, I just wasn't WOWED. I guess this happens when you wait to see the long delayed sequel to your favorite movie of all time (ROTLA.) Too much CGI, a weird, fake look, an alien concept (pun intended), and even Shia, really kind of gave me a bad vibe about the whole film. However, the film starts to get good when Karen Allen shows up, but the ending left alot to be desired. It is a so/so film in every sense of the word.

I do however plan on seeing it with my dad (who also loves ROTLA, and saw it when it came out,) hoping I might find a diffrent view on it, and enjoy it more.

Here is my ranking:
1. ROTLA (favorite movie of ALL time!)
2. TOD (pretty damn good, and the truest to the serials of the 1930's)

3.TLC (a jokey, watered down rehash of ROTLA, with Connery and the father-son plot making it something special)/ KOTCS (in many ways, too different from it's ROTLA roots, but still an entertaining flick. Hey, Indy's back, so what can I say?)

DocWhiskey

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
I actually kind of agree. I was kinda dissapointed. I liked it alright, and I want to like it more, but for some reason, I just wasn't WOWED. I guess this happens when you wait to see the long delayed sequel to your favorite movie of all time (ROTLA.) Too much CGI, a weird, fake look, an alien concept (pun intended), and even Shia, really kind of gave me a bad vibe about the whole film. However, the film starts to get good when Karen Allen shows up, but the ending left alot to be desired. It is a so/so film in every sense of the word.

I completely agree with that. Nothing ancient in the film looked ancient. But Shia didn't bug me at all really. The script did though.

lynchpin

nazca_656 said:
I have 3 questions:

1. Will Marion punch Indy?

3. Is that punch sound back?

Thanks

PS: sorry for bad english;)

No, Marion doesn't punch Indy.

Indy pulls his gun out, points it, and never fires it once -- or any gun for that matter.

The punch sound is back in abundance -- in fact, probably more so than in any of the other films.

And yes, the Wilhelm pops up pretty early, and comes from the mouth of a relatively appropriate bypasser.