Remy

Stoo

Baudoin vs. Beaudoin

*BUMP*

I've always thought Remy's last name was spelled Beaudoin (because I know some personally) but all the legit sources spell his last name as Baudoin (which is a shortened variation of the word "beau"/nice). The family crests are the same so the spelling of Baudoin is not wrong (as I once thought).

Baudoin Family Crest and History
Beaudoin Family Crest and History

There are even Baudoin/Beaudoin connections with Quebec in there.:)

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
There are even Baudoin/Beaudoin connections with Quebec in there.:)

I always thought Remy's last name was "Bedouin," as in the nomadic Arab tribes! At least, until recently when I started watching the series again on DVD! Given Remy's wandering ways throughout the early part of the Twentieth Century, I wonder if there wasn't some sort of subtle connection imagined by the writers?

Stoo

Hey, Sab. I can see why you thought it could be Bedoin because sometimes SPF's pronunciation is a little off and it sounds like he's saying "Bed". In true literary fashion, it's very possible that his last name is a subtle nod to the Bedouins.

By the same token, I think the eye-patch wearing Zyke from "Peacock's Eye" could be named after the Cyclops. In the DVD game "Hunting For Treasure", Remy refers to him as a cyclops. (Not sure if he calls him that in the actual episode, though).

phantom train

Remy was a great character, and as someone else said, was a great friend to YIJ. He was actually very influential in YIJ's life - he was instrumental in Indy's joining WWI. And, he was also present (or at least around) during a lot of key points in YIJ's life, including his going to war for the first time.

I feel Remy's inclusion in the European WWI episodes was essential, since for most of the series you mainly see the events/situations through the eyes of YIJ, an American, whose country wasn't affected (yet) by the war. Remy, on the other hand, may have been meant to represent the European countries (i.e., the "everyman") that were being subjugated in WWI.

The parting between YIJ and Remy was very sad (in TOTPE) - It would have been great to see them separate on a more hopeful note, but in thinking about it I guess that was the point; Remy had become obsessed with finding the Peacock's eye to the exclusion of all else, and YIJ was more realistic about the hopelessness of the whole situation, and just wanted to go back to U.S., go to college, and get on with his life.

When you think about it, in the terms of the series I felt that Indy's leaving Remy behind when he went back to the U.S. (after 3 years away) was both literal and symbolic - he was leaving one part of his life behind and starting another, and Remy really didn't have a place in his new life (i.e., his going back home, attending university, etc.)

Last edited:

Insomniac

phantom train said:
When you think about it, in the terms of the series I felt that Indy's leaving Remy behind when he went back to the U.S. (after 3 years away) was both literal and symbolic - he was leaving one part of his life behind and starting another, and Remy really didn't have a place in his new life (i.e., his going back home, attending university, etc.)

Truer words have never been spoken!

Another great actor that I'm in a very poor position of meeting him.
I miss 'em his character and Mr.Coutteure.
:hat:

phantom train

Joe Brody said:
I admit to being a Remy fan. Look at old photos of group scenes (like construction sites, class pictures, unit photos etc.) from the Gilded age on through WWI and there's always a strange looking dude with glasses. Sure his whining could grate, but he had an authenticity that added depth to the show.

What you describe above is also probably the basis for the great 1983 Woody Allen film, "Zelig". In the film (which is set during the pre-WWII era), the character "Zelig" (played by W.A.) was a little guy with glasses, who was always in the background in these old pictures -but noone every really knew who he was - very funny, and now that you mention it, Remy reminds me of this unknown personage as well.

Last edited:

Stoo

I like "Zelig". It's the pre-cursor to "Forrest Gump".

Joe Brody said:
Does anybody know if anything official was ever written down in the books or literature about what happened to the character of Remy after he and Young Indy parted ways in 1919 after losing the triail of the Peacock's Eye?
metalinvader said:
I'm guessing his quest for the jewel eventually got him killed.
That's what I had always figured as well but because of the "Lost Journal" we now know that Remy was still alive in 1935...at least, Indy thought so since he wrote him a note about the diamond. (I realize that this is a reply to old posts before the book came out.;))

phantom train said:
Remy was a great character, and as someone else said, was a great friend to YIJ. He was actually very influential in YIJ's life - he was instrumental in Indy's joining WWI. And, he was also present (or at least around) during a lot of key points in YIJ's life, including his going to war for the first time.
Being attractive to the ladies always came easy to Indy but Mr. Baudoin also taught him to never resign himself to one woman.:p

The Unfaithful Remy Beaudoin (and Other Influences on Indy?s Love Life)
phantom train said:
Agreed but before the events in "Peacock" they were only together for less than 11 months (mid-Mar 1916 - c. 02 Feb 1917). The parting in "Hawkmen" is sad but I like the way they seperated in "Peacock's Eye". It's adds more drama to their relationship and keeps us wondering what became of Remy. Another thing to remember is that Indy didn't immediately go back home since he was at the Treaty of Paris. Like you said, though, Remy was not going to be part of his new life. (One could imagine Indy thinking, "I love the guy, we've been through a lot together...but he's a bit crazy.")

My question is, how did they become reunited for "Peacock"?:confused: That's what I want to know! They are dressed for the trenches but are most certainly still working as spies. Their pairing for the mission at the beginning must have been a freak coincidence.

Crack that whip

phantom train said:

I feel Remy's inclusion in the European WWI episodes was essential, since for most of the series you mainly see the events/situations through the eyes of YIJ, an American, whose country wasn't affected (yet) by the war. Remy, on the other hand, may have been meant to represent the European countries (i.e., the "everyman") that were being subjugated in WWI.

The parting between YIJ and Remy was very sad (in TOTPE) - It would have been great to see them separate on a more hopeful note, but in thinking about it I guess that was the point; Remy had become obsessed with finding the Peacock's eye to the exclusion of all else, and YIJ was more realistic about the hopelessness of the whole situation, and just wanted to go back to U.S., go to college, and get on with his life.

This is particularly ironic, given that Indy eventually shapes a whole life for himself characterized by archaeological pursuits that take the form of treasure hunts and heroic quests (from what we see of them, anyway), as opposed to more conventional archaeological practices. He parts with Remy in the middle of a fantastic quest in order to pursue his original academic goals, but upon attaining them will wind up spending much of the rest of his life putting his knowledge and skills to use on other fantastic quests.

Of course, he surely didn't realize in 1919 that's how things would go, and I'm also guessing he practices a lot of serious archaeology in those parts of his life that we don't get to see. ;)

Nils Andersson

Stoo said:
My question is, how did they become reunited for "Peacock"?:confused: That's what I want to know! They are dressed for the trenches but are most certainly still working as spies. Their pairing for the mission at the beginning must have been a freak coincidence.

This is a question I've been wondering about for a long time. How did Indy and Remy reunite after Indy's adventure in Transylvania?

Demitasse

Originally Posted by Stoo
...because of the "Lost Journal" we now know that Remy was still alive in 1935...at least, Indy thought so since he wrote him a note about the diamond. (I realize that this is a reply to old posts before the book came out.)

Hmm, how can he still be alive if he was suppose to have died in India after "Peacock"?

Originally Posted by Stoo
Here's what Ronny said (translated from French):
"In a future story which was written but not filmed, Indy taken by remorse, finishes by rejoining Remy and they leave together on the search for the treasure up until the moment where Remy, worn out, dies in the Indian desert."

I guess it doesn't count on the official timeline since it was never filmed, but how could Indy have not known of Remy's death if they were together in India?

Stoo

Demitasse said:
Hmm, how can he still be alive if he was suppose to have died in India after "Peacock"?
Demitasse!:) Keep in mind that the comment you're referring to was written before I discovered the info about Remy's death. The "Lost Journal" book was published in 2008 and it wasn't widely known that Remy was meant to die in India until September 2010 when I posted the news in the "Unfilmed Episodes of Young Indy" thread.

"The Lost Journal" has it's share of errors but it's very likely that whoever created Indy's letter in the book (IndyMagnoli?) wasn't even aware that Remy's death was part of a planned episode and, therefore, didn't/couldn't take it into account.

Which reminds me, I still have to translate the last page of that Ronny Coutteure interview (provided by our very own, Sakis) where he talks about Remy dying.
Demitasse said:
I guess it doesn't count on the official timeline since it was never filmed, but how could Indy have not known of Remy's death if they were together in India?
Based on the available info, there could be 2 possible scenarios:

1) Remy continued the hunt without Indy and still died of thirst & fatigue in northeast India, all alone. For whatever reason one can imagine, Henry Jones Jr. didn't know about it in 1935.

2) Indy changed his mind and rejoined Remy on the hunt (as per R.Coutteure's interview) and the letter in "Lost Journal" is another, unfortunate, timeline mistake.

As to which scenario I personally prefer, I'm on the fence and can't decide.:dead:

Henry W Jones

If it was never put on film or released to the masses in some form of media I would go with it didn't happen and is subject to change. Hell with Lucas involved it could change whether it was filmed or not. Look what's happened to Star Wars.

Stoo

True. True, Henry W. So scenario #3 would be that Remy DIDN'T die in 1919 and was still alive in '35.:)

In any case, even though I love the character, I like the idea of Remy dying and wish that chapter had been filmed. It could have been a very heart-wrenching & poignant episode.

InexorableTash

While it would be nice to give the long suffering Remy a break, it seems more in tone with the character - and possible affect on Indy's personality - for him to die.

I must admit, Ronny Coutteure's death influences that opinion.

The younger Indy is, of course, a wide-eyed innocent who makes friends with everyone, despite what he has experienced in the war. While he will eventually be betrayed by Belloq, to become the cautious, secretive man he'll grow to be I believe he needs to experience further loss and see the dangers of obsession. (Echoes of his parents.)