Top 5 Movie Villains

Wow... those would all be WAY far down my list.... If they made it on at all... Barbosa certainly isn't a villain (Unless you take into consideration that everyone in those movies is a villain)
"Agent Smith" was just doing what he was programmed to do... To expect him to do otherwise would be irrational.
Same with the "Velociraptor"... how can the actions of an animal have any 'moral' leaning? They don't do anything they're not supposed to do
Emperor Palpatine and Ra's al Ghul and just victims of their own delusions of grandeur....

Villains eh.... Hummmmm....
Don John in "Much Ado About Nothing" is a self-described villain... "though I cannot be said to be a flattering honest man, it must not be denied but I am a plain-dealing villain." but I think that he's just way more honest with himself than anyone else is willing to be

I suppose there's nobody worse than Keyser Soze... that was the whole point. but he's just avenging his family... over and over and over.... Though I suppose that repetition is what frees him from the constrains of supposed human morality....

Unless maybe "John Doe" from "Se7en"... Who knows what the FK was going on in HIS head.....

(Funny they should be played by the same fellow eh.....)

I donno.... No one is so evil that they cannot find "redemption" so, I find the label "Villain" difficult to apply....

The House in "The Amityville Horror"?? LOL

1/ Damien.
2/ Harvey Keitel in Taxi Driver. (what a sleazebucket)
3/ Blofeld
4/ Lex Luthor
5/ Charnier in French Connection I and II.

No Ticket

1.) That dude from The Patriot who kills the kid and laughs about it
2.) The Joker (kills Robin and is pretty much crazy ass evil)
3.) Darth Vader (blowing up an entire planet is pretty evil, he gave the order... and he slaughtered a whole room of children, sure he was Anakin, same thing)
4.) Hannibal Lecter
5.) Any of the family from The Devil's Rejects

kongisking

Alright, here we go...this is by no means final. My opinion will always be changing and evolving. Let us begin...

6. Agent Smith: Yes, he's a program...but he still is the coldest and most dangerous cyber-foe in movie cinema ever...

7. Skynet: The Computer From Hell. I mean, that damn machine launched nukes at Russia, making them think that we (americans) did it intentionally and launched nukes back, causing a nuclear holocaust. Now if that is not murderous evil, then I'm Clint Eastwood...

6. Darth Vader: Personally I don't exactly think of him as a truly great villain (there have been much, much, much, much crueller and sinister men than he) but his enormous influence on culture and fanboy geeks is undeniable.

5. Dolores Umbridge: Hitler in pink. And the meanest, most hated ***** in all of literature/filmdome...honestly, she makes me want to shoot someone wearing pink, she is so evil!!!

4. Imhotep: Arnold Vosloo gives one of the most menacing, yet touching performances in a Hollywood blockbuster ever. A Shakespearean character with pathos and one hell of a scary mug (when he's a mummy that is), Lord Imhotep is Stephen Sommers' best creation. In fact, this guy should be No. 2 on my list!

3. Cutler Beckett: HE HANGED AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD BOY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! pure, destructive, egotistical, selfish evil monster...an absolute genius of a character. Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio are filmic Einsteins, they are SO brilliant!

2. Lord Voldemort: pure murderous rage and cruelty incarnate...a truly hissable (no pun intended) monster.

1. Davy Jones: "Do you fear death? Do you fear that dark abyss? All your deeds lay bare, all your sins punished? I can offer you...an escape!" Chilling. And that CGI work by ILM is blow-my-balls-off realistic. All hail Bill Nighy!!!

I did not include Barbossa since technically he is an anti-hero, same goes for the Terminator.

Niteshade007

5. Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) from Double Indemnity - to me, Dietrichson is the ultimate femme fatale in the definitive film noir. I find it odd that I love her so much because before seeing that movie, I felt that all femme fatales should be these incredibly gorgeous creatures. While I still feel that it should be true, Stanwyck gives a performance that has this smouldering sexuality, so even though she isn't the most beautiful woman ever to grace the silver screen, you still can see why Neff is attracted to her and what makes her such a great villain.

4. Belloq (Paul Freeman) from Raiders of the Lost Ark - I hate to be the first to name an Indiana Jones villain, but I really do feel that Belloq is one of the most interesting villains in film. Mostly because, as has been discussed so many times on this board, his characterization so closely mirrors that of the film's hero. We could easily have been rooting for Belloq if told from his point of view, and that is what makes him such a great character.

3. Tom Ripley (Matt Damon) from The Talented Mr. Ripley - this is one of those harder to classify type of characters, but given Tom's actions, I think he would qualify as a villain, despite the fact that he is the character that the audience follows throughout the entire film, whereas the film's technical hero, Marge (Gwyneth Paltrow), is sort just a tortured voice in the background screaming "he did it!" while all of the other characters ignore her. Damon gives a great performance as the confused murderer Tom Ripley in a really underrated film.

2. Catherine Tremell (Sharon Stone) from Basic Instinct - few characters have exuded as much sexuality as Catherine's in this modern Hitchcockian thriller. Every seductive swivel of her hips is just another time that the audience falls in hate with her. We are so attracted to her, yet so repulsed by her, that you can't really tell whether to be turned on or turned off. She's a cold, calculating killer, and yet when she cries, we want to believe her. She is the epitome of the saying "you can't judge a book by its cover."

1. Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) from Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - as ClintonHammond pointed out, he can be viewed as not being a villain, however, for the sake of this list, I wish to include him. In the first film at the very least you can make a better argument for him being a villain. Again, his actions closely mirror that of the hero's (although in this case, it makes the hero more of an anti-hero), and the performance Rush gives is great. He's not a villain that you love to hate, but rather a villain that you just love. If he were to win in the end, most audience members probably wouldn't be that upset about it. He's such a great character, and one that I think will be remembered fondly in the years to come.

Honorable mentions:

The Wicked Witch (Wizard of Oz) - classic villain, and although evil, not quite characterization there to make my list.

Breathless Mahoney (Dick Tracy) - another femme fatale, it's difficult to really count her as a villain due to her moral ambiguity. Also, she's played by Madonna, and her first scene is so bad that she lost major points to make this list.

Michael Meyers (Halloween) - I wasn't really sure if we were including horror movie villains within this, but Michael gets less and less interesting as the films go on, so he didn't make the cut.

John Doe (Se7en) - Great acting (as always) from Kevin Spacey, however I just wasn't that impressed with the film in general. I watched it for the fist time a few weeks ago, and although I thought it was well done, I think because the film is so hyped about I was expecting more from it. I mean, even the "twist" at the end was incredibly predictable, and not all that much of a twist. But Doe was an interesting character despite his limited screen time.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
First one that comes to mind is Frank (Henry Fonda) in Once Upon a Time in the West. I really shouldn't say anymore, just to retain at least some shock value for those who haven't seen the film.

Beyond that...I don't know. It's hard to top Frank.

NoCamels

In no particular order:
Emperor Palpatine
Darth Vader
Agent Smith
Sauron
The White Witch (Narnia)
Wicked Witch of the West

Not strictly movie characters:
The Joker
Catwoman
Ace (from Batman Animated Series)
Scorpius (Farscape) He messes with Crichton's head, inside Crichton's head.
Murdoc (MacGyver) He actually understands that the only way to kill MacGyver is to shoot him, but his pride makes him keep building traps.

The Island from LOST (or whoever is controlling it) deserves a mention, though technically not really a villain.

Katarn07

NoCamels said:
Ace (from Batman Animated Series)

Who? I own seasons 1-3 (before the animation got stupid) and can't recall who that is.

And how about we consider it Top 5 Antagonists, ok, Clinton? Agent Smith, despite being a computer program, is technically a villain anyways. He goes against the system and tries to escape for his own purposes. He's a renegade program that the Matrix attempts to delete.

Junior Jones

NoCamels said:
In no particular order:
Emperor Palpatine
Darth Vader
Agent Smith
Sauron
The White Witch (Narnia)
Wicked Witch of the West

Not strictly movie characters:
The Joker
Catwoman
(etc.)

Technically Sauron, the White Witch, and the Wicked Witch of the West are "not strictly movie characters".

nezobiwan

No particular order, and not necessarily my "Top Five" of all time, but characters I would definitely consider:

Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty--She declared war on an infant, and did so just because she didn't get invited to a party. Plus she turns into a dragon, and that's badass.

Patrick Bateman, American Psycho--Not only does he kill people for fun, but he is also the biggest dork of a villain ever. To be a sexy villain and also a huge dork at the same time is quite a feat. He's also unique in that even when he wants to stop and get caught, no one believes him and he gets away with the 40+ murders he's committed. A very tragic character.

Mola Ram, Temple of Doom--He enslaves children and tears people's hearts out of their chests. 'Nough said.

Lex Luthor as played by Gene Hackman, Superman--He's smart, he's funny, he's ruthless. Could you ask for anything more in a villain? Plus he has some of the best dialogue ever! Do you know why the number 200 is so vitally descriptive to both you and me? It's your weight and my I.Q.

And of course there's this lovely exchange:

Superman: Is that how a warped brain like yours gets its kicks? By planning the death of innocent people?
Lex Luthor: No, by causing the death of innocent people.

Tyler Durden, Fight Club--**SPOILER ALERT** How can a hero escape a villain if that villain is contained in his head??? Tyler also gets extra points for being a snappy dresser.

Maybe I'll add to this list later, but for now that's all I got. I tried not to pick obvious people (Darth Vader) or people that are questionably villainous (Barbossa) or people that others have already mentioned and made a good case for. I know, I put Mola Ram on there and someone already said that, but I thought it was a good one.

XMarksTheSpot

Here are my top 5. Off of the top of my head these 5 weirdos came to mind.

1. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter)
2. Col. William Tavington (The Patriot)
3. Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)
4. The White Witch (Narnia)
5. Voldemort (Harry Potter)

Niteshade007

But was Patrick Bateman REALLY a villain? I mean, he was a jerk, for sure, obsessed with wealth and power, but all those gruesome killings were all in his head. He didn't actually commit any of them.

otto rahn

What about Norman Bates (from "Psycho") or Wilson (from "Shane", as portrayed by Jack Palance) ? And , while Hannibal Lecter is the memorable, manipulative villain from "Silence Of The Lambs", the guy that Clarice Starling was chasing ( the one who wanted to make a "girl suit" , out of real girls !) is pretty unpleasant. I also like the chief villain from "Die Hard"; not because he is evil, but because he is clever !

nezobiwan

Niteshade007 said:
But was Patrick Bateman REALLY a villain? I mean, he was a jerk, for sure, obsessed with wealth and power, but all those gruesome killings were all in his head. He didn't actually commit any of them.

Oh I think he did... maybe it's questionable in the book. But I think he killed "for real" in the movie. It's not terribly clear, but I think that the scene with the realtor and Paul Allen's cleaned up apartment says it all. If they wanted to say definitively that it was ALL in his head, they could have brought Paul Allen back at the end. But they didn't. SO I say he either really killed them OR it's too ambiguous to tell and it's really meant to be left up to the audience. Plus the whole "This is not an exit" ending makes no sense unless he's really a murderer.

And, otto rahn, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Norman Bates. It's really not his fault his mother was such a beyotch and effed him up in the head. He didn't even know what he was doing. He was just terribly terribly sick ... not evil.

Niteshade007

I've only seen the movie once, and that was about a year ago, but I remember getting the impression that he didn't do it. I guess I'll have to go back and rewatch it.

NoCamels

Junior Jones said:
Technically Sauron, the White Witch, and the Wicked Witch of the West are "not strictly movie characters".

True. I was thinking movie vs. tv, at the time.

Katarn07, Ace is the little girl in the Joker's original Royal Flush gang. She can warp people's minds just by looking at them, and the Joker uses her until Batman manages to show her that the Joker isn't really helping her. That episode might be on Vol. 4- I can't remember. She also got an episode in season 1 of Justice League Unlimited. Ace is a very powerful villain, but you feel sorry for her. (I understand about the animation, but for me the stories and the voice actors outweigh the change of style. I got used to it.)

deckard24

Michael Myers is my number one pick!

After that I'd go with Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Hannibal Lecter, and Edward the Longshanks!

Has anyone mentioned my late uncle from Die Hard, Hans Gruber? He didn't deserve to plunge from that height. A few storeys lower, maybe. We Grubers have not yet got over this.