Why the tie?

loganbush

When I first watched Crusade, I thought, "what the heck is that tie for?" Now I've grown to like it but I wish it was only in half of what it really is. Was there any reason the decided to put in a tie for Indy?

Adolf Hitler

loganbush said:
When I first watched Crusade, I thought, "what the heck is that tie for?" Now I've grown to like it but I wish it was only in half of what it really is. Was there any reason the decided to put in a tie for Indy?
Why not? Does the addition of a plain black tie really alter his look that much?

Jeez, soon people will be complaining about the lack of arms on Indy's shirt at the end of Temple.

I feel I must complain about the lack of arms in Indy's shirt in Temple of Doom. This is a disgrace. I want an Indy with TWO sleeves - not one.

Adolf Hitler

Yes, but the question is, why is Indy missing sleeves? I mean, was that the producer's choice? Does it make sense that they are departing from the previous film? Will we be able to buy a sleevless shirt for out custom made costumes? Personally I am really rather confused.

I ripped a sleeve off my Indy outfit to look like Temple Of Doom. Unfortunately,I ripped off the sleeve on the wrong shirt. It was my father's.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
herr gruber said:
I ripped a sleeve off my Indy outfit to look like Temple Of Doom. Unfortunately,I ripped off the sleeve on the wrong shirt. It was my father's.
Hopefully it was the correct side. :whip:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I've talked about this a bit in the past within the context of how Last Crusade very specifically deals in a way even more so than the other two films about the fine line between the civilized and the barbaric. Indy's necktie, and the fact that he engages in an entire action sequence in a suit, are a part of this meditation on chivalry and such, same with it taking place in Europe for much of the time. His father being there has to do with this too.

|ZiR|

salussolia said:
i think it was it look properly with his father .

so he looks a little more sophisticated

I think so, too. He wanted to impress his father (or at least not give him anything to criticise!), hence the tie and the cleanly shaven look he sports throughout Last Crusade.

And while I do love the sexy, sweaty, scruffy-faced Indy we see in Temple of Doom, my favorite Indy outfit is his Crusade one. It's just... cuter than the others.

sunshinestate1992

|ZiR| said:
I think so, too. He wanted to impress his father (or at least not give him anything to criticise!), hence the tie and the cleanly shaven look he sports throughout Last Crusade.
exactly he would look even scruffier right next to connery without his tie

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsley

Attila the Professor said:
I've talked about this a bit in the past within the context of how Last Crusade very specifically deals in a way even more so than the other two films about the fine line between the civilized and the barbaric. Indy's necktie, and the fact that he engages in an entire action sequence in a suit, are a part of this meditation on chivalry and such, same with it taking place in Europe for much of the time. His father being there has to do with this too.
I agree, that's a reason that shows that Last Crusade isn't a simple rehash of Raiders.

loganbush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I agree, that's a reason that shows that Last Crusade isn't a simple rehash of Raiders.

I like the tie. I even sometimes wear it with my Indy costume.

Vendetta08

Same, I liked the tie too.

But the one sleeved rugged shirt in Temple of Doom was the most badass look of all time.

otto rahn

Obviously Indy simply "dresses for the occassion" ! A ragged shirt missing a sleeve is perfectly okay when battling hordes of thugge in a secret underground temple but NOT the preferred look when going out with your father !;)

Stoo

otto rahn said:
"dresses for the occassion"
It's as simple as that. Why didn't Indy bare his chest at Club Obi-Wan instead of
wearing a tuxedo? It would probably be normal for the man to wear a tie with his
gear if hot climates weren't involved (not to mention the homage to some heroes
from the '40s serials).

In '89, I didn't like the tie but now I do. It would be boring if he had the same
look all the time. The new movie will obviously give us The Classic Look and
almost certainly, a new one, as well. One highlight of "Mystery of the Blues"
is that his appearance is different.

The stick-out moment for me with the tie was in the castle hall and Indy says,
"'Cause it's wired." - I remember it looked so absurd hanging there although
not as strange as seeing Indy in a tux the first time around.

IrishLuck1980

My guess is that he wore the tie because he knew he was going to see his Dad. All men, atleast ones who grew up with a strict father, always do certain things expected by their fathers, even as adults. If I know my father is coming into town, I will go get a haircut. It's strange. But that is why I think Indy is wearing a tie.

Gear

He wore a tie because he was wearing a suit and tie before and he quickly put on his "Indy" gear by simply putting on his jacket and belting his holster to his hip while still wearing the dress shirt (with tie) on underneath.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
gear guardian said:
He wore a tie because he was wearing a suit and tie before and he quickly put on his "Indy" gear by simply putting on his jacket and belting his holster to his hip while still wearing the dress shirt (with tie) on underneath.
He had a different tie in the Venice scenes, and he took all the clothes off after the fight at the docks.

indyfan85

I've seen a few complaints about indys tie in the last cruesade and I don't see what the fuss is all about. I think it's indys best outfit in the entire series. he is a professor and a scholar, is it so unreasonable for his outfit to shed some insight into his character?

peterlally

I know we are all guilty of over analysing stuff here but PLEASE!! Its only an f'in Tie. I wore a tie at work yesterday today I didn't... Plus...

Wearing a tie in the desert in Cairo or the Jungles of S.America erm no
Wearing a tie in Rural Darkest India... erm no
Wearing a tie in Europe... more than likely.