Anybody who still thinks Harrisons age is an issue...

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
"Gone is the younger Ford"

Which is the #1 reason to recast.....

Image the uproar THAT would cause when Ford is still alive, kickin', and willin'.

:gun:

I was unhappy about Superman being recast and Christopher Reeve has been dead for years!

I was VERY happy with the Superman Recast... (FAR from the first time that role had been recast.....) The same way that the last TNG movie REALLY needed to recast the role of Data... (The fattest, oldest Supposed-to-be-ageless android you've ever seen....)

Indy... Like Superman and Data, is really only interesting when he's at his peak.... Like ALL archetypal heroes... In #4, Indy's got to be way beyond that.... and that sucks.

Especially given that there are a MILLION young actors out there with WAY more talent than Harrison Ford has been showing lately who coulda stepped into the role and knocked it outa the park.

Hell.... You don't need an Award Winning actor to play a pulp-era hero....

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
I was VERY happy with the Superman Recast... (FAR from the first time that role had been recast.....)

Boooooooo.... and what do you mean by "the first time"? Like a bajillion people have played Superman. It even goes back to radio broadcasting days. Are you saying the guy who did the voice on the radio show was the best Supe?

does anyone even remember the name of that new kid from Returns? And seriously, Kate Bosworth is the worst Lois Lane recast ever. I would have voted Robin Tunney except I don't even know if anyone even considered her. She's perfect! Reminds me SO much of Margot Kidder, but WAY prettier and less annoying.

Anywho, CH does that mean you would recast for Marion too?

:confused:

nezobiwan

nezobiwan said:
I was unhappy about Superman being recast and Christopher Reeve has been dead for years!

You *do* know I mean to say that Reeve is the best Supe?? I just realized how this statement could be misconstrued... I was upset about the 'Superman Returns' recasting--joking that they should have cast Reeve though he is deceased... Ok I'll shut up now.

:hat:

Niteshade007

When he said "FAR from being the first recast," that means that it wasn't the first recast.

I liked Robin Tunney in Hollywoodland. I thought she fit the bill for that particular character, plus she fit in so effortlessly in that era of Hollywood. She just has that look to her. I'm not really a Superman fan, to be honest, but I don't think she would have made a good Lois Lane, honestly because I don't find her all that attractive. I felt the same about Margot Kidder. She just wasn't a very attractive woman, in my opinion. I haven't seen Superman Returns, so I can't really critique Bosworth's performance, but I would have liked to see someone who was actually a brunette in the role. Plus, Bosworth is a little too skinny.

Double posts are unnecessary....

"what do you mean by "the first time"?"
D'uh.... Superman Returns was FAR from the first time the role of Superman has been recast... and it'll be far from the last.... Because, for the most part Superman remains unchanging, there's never any reason to end the tale... (See The Simpsons for a prime example of that entertainment axiom)

"the name of that new kid from Returns?"

Kid?!?! He was born in 1979.... He's probably older than you are...

His name is Brandon Routh... I've seen a LOT of people play Superman and do a LOT worse than he did.... Case in point... Christopher Reeve in Superman 3.... and he was even worse in Superman 4.... so he's batting 50%.

"does that mean you would recast for Marion too?"
For Indy 4?!?! I woulda left her out of the equation all together.... I'da recast Indy for Indy 4, and done another 'prequel', taking place somewhere between Temple and Raiders.... Or even PRE-Temple.... I'da added to the story, instead of trying to cap the end of it off. But also, I have no interest in telling the sort of wishy-washy, namby-pamby story that I'm sure old farts like Steven and George want to tell....

"I'm not really a Superman fan"
He's pretty one-dimensional eh....

Hardly.. and your pathetic little passive-aggressive attack is unnecessary.

Superman has been called, by a LOT of critics, and critically acclaimed writers, and scholars, a very one dimensional character, and so a HELL of a challenge to make interesting.... At his core, he can do anything that needs to be done. He's pushed FN planets... He's spun time backwards and forwards....

How is a guy who can do ANYTHING interesting in the least?

It's his villains that are well and truly interesting characters, for, at the very least daring to take on a guy who can DO anything....

Doctor Manhattan (Watchmen) represents the boredom element of Superman very well....

When it comes to Indy, it's a matter of time-and-place.... I turn to pulp-style heroes for exactly that.. pulp style heroes.... I have NO interest in him dealing with old age and being a dead-beat dad and such nonsense.... there's enough crappy Jack Nicholson movies that deal with such subjects... Indy, in those roles, is boring.

nezobiwan

Isn't an archetypal character one-dimensional by definition?

From the source that be ever questionable (wikipedia):
An archetype is a generic, idealized model of a person, object, or concept from which similar instances are derived, copied, patterned, or emulated.

Superman=Christ archetype

Indiana Jones=hero archetype

Luke Skywalker=callow youth on a journey archetype

Obiwan/Dr. Jones Sr.=old wizard archetype

...???

We're talking about fairy tales here, people. Popular culture, if you want to get really vulgar about it. We're not talking about bleeding Hemingway or Melville. Superman is just as one-dimensional as Batman or Frodo or James Bond even Data.

The only reason Data got developed more was out of necessity--being part of a television series. There's only so far you can go with "I'm a robot and I don't understand human behavior and sometimes that's funny."

Data original concept=C3PO.

Chuh.

"Data original concept=C3PO."
Oh please.... Talk about missing the boat....

Data's got WAY more in common with The Tin Man from Wizard Of Oz than he has with C3P0.....

And The Tin Man is just a reimagining of The Creature from Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.... The CREATED being who just wants to be human....

Watching TNG, I kept waiting for Data to break into a chorus of
"I've got no strings, to hold me down" his character was that much of a pathetic ripoff....

deckard24

Clinton has got me thinking, we haven't had a good "who else besides Ford" could play Indy discussion in a while. Every single time we do start one up, it never makes it past 2 or 3 suggestions than the arguing begins. There of course will be the no one but Ford can play Indy camp, which I'm for the most part a member of, but I do think it's fun to throw names around in a "what if" scenario. Let's say the role of Indy was recast in the future for a prequel movie, who has any suggestions for a possible actor to fill Ford's size 12 Aldens?

My pics: Gerard Butler, Eric Bana, or Finn's favorite :) Nathan Fillion.

I thought Routh did a great job in SR, he was by far the best part of that movie!

Dr.Sartorius

Brandon Routh was a great Superman. I hope he continues the franchise.

Harrison Ford still looks great as Indiana Jones. I'm hoping he not only looks great as Indy but will also act like the Indy we all know and love.

Oh and the age factor will add to the character.

nezobiwan

20 years ago people would have laughed their asses off at this suggestion...

...but what about Anthony Michael Hall?

Anybody watch The Dead Zone TV series? He gets this "hard thinking" look on his face that has always reminded me of Indy.

We'd have to do something about the hair though...

deckard24

He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's one I've never seen suggested. Good choice Neozobian! He has definitely gained a harder edge over the years. He's not the kid from Weird Science anymore, that's for sure!

deckard24

Clive Owen is another one I just thought of, as is Christian Bale. Bale, I'm not so sure of though?

The actor in question would have to be under 40 or at least a very young looking 40 something, to star as Indy in a prequel. If Ford was a youthful 37/38 in Raiders and 41/42 in ToD, an actor in his mid 30's-early 40's could fill the role just fine.

nezobiwan

deckard24 said:
Clive Owen is another one I just thought of, as is Christian Bale. Bale, I'm not so sure of though?

I must say I LOVE Christian Bale. In fact I'll go so far as to say he's currently my favorite currently working actor. However, I don't know if he can do Indy.

I'm not questioning his ability--more questioning if he can seamlessly pull off "the look."

deckard24

I agree, I don't think he could pull off the look like Owen, Butler, Fillion, or Bana could. All those guys have a rugged look, well at least Owen, Butler, and Bana do. Fillion I've never seen look weathered or grizzled, he's usually always pretty polished.

Owen, Butler, and Bana routinely rock the 3 day beard growth and wear it well. Not to mention they all seem to inherently have that tougher edge, that Indy needs to have. Bale is a fantastic actor, but Indy wouldn't be the best fit for him. He's great though at darker more complex charcaters like Batman, Patrick Bateman, The Machinist, etc..

NileQT87

i've said it before, and i'll say it again... alexis denisof. if he, an american actor, can actually shed that british accent that sounds more authentic than his american one after apparently living in england for too long.

his body type is the skinny/tall type. he looks great with weapons. he looks best with the stubble, but that nerdy look is something he's done before. his character of wesley reminds a lot of people as having morphed into clint eastwood. he's really good at that rough and rugged thing. he is good at dark drama, action (in other words, has done some of the physicality required) and comedy and has shown himself to be wonderful at all of them.

and, imo, of all the actors mentioned thus far, he has the closest resemblance to a ford or eastwood look (again, if he can get that american voice better). ironically, a lot of people were bringing up his name for james bond (and, imo, fit the role much better than blondie craig).

Wesley_Wyndam-Price.jpg

but yeah... this was *IF* harrison ford said he'd never play the role ever again and they wanted somebody else.

admittedly, alexis is in his 40s.