LA and Las Vegas

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hey, Violet Indy is finally getting a passport!!!! The family's finally opted to go for a trip overseas, since Dad got a small promotion recently, and I got a paid film job. We're looking at going to the US at the moment and they're having this special that if you get this LA package you can fly to another destination in the US for free. I was just wondering if anyone could give some suggestions as to the most interesting places in the US.

indifan101

The United States of America, land of over 15 million different sites and monuments. Here's a list of places to go, and not to go (in the summer time)
Since were into summer going to the beaches is a bad idea. Too many tourists, too many lines and too much traffic! Save yourself the hassel by going to places like...
Gettysburg, Smokey Mountain National Park, Yellowstone, Williamsburg, Hollywood, Washington D.C, Mount St. Helens National Park, Cedar Point, Shiloh, New New York City, Niagara Falls NY, Denver, Aspen, Portland, Siox Falls, Mount Rushmore, etc. Any other suggestions ask me or ask your travel agent about interesting places in America. The best one you can buy is the Gettysburg package! All expense paid trip to Gettysburg! See the dramactic re-inactment of one of the United States most biggest battles! You'll find plenty to do in america no matter where your at!;)

Abe Vayoda

Teehee. That sounded like a bad infomercial... :p
101 had made some good suggestions... though, unless you really enjoy them, I've never liked in battle re-enactments. Williamsburg was interesting, but it's been several years since my last visit don't know how (or even if) it's changed.
Edit: Oh, 101 already mentioned Williamsburg, good on ya 101.

If you enjoy musicals, I can also give you several great plays to go to if New York interests you. As well as shopping districs that are nice.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Great suggestions guys! My mum's thinking of going to Las Vegas. Personally, I'd try for New York and sadly, we can't do Hawaii... Too Damn expensive.

Abe Vayoda

I hate rubbing it in, but if I'd have thought I'd recommended Hawaii. It is a BEAUTIFUL place, with some of the friendliest folks you'll ever meet. Great scenerey as well. I wish the last time I visited I'd brought my hat with me.

Gustav

You're finally travelling and you got a paying film job?! I'm jealous. What are you doing?

I would definitely recommend New York City, but as with any city you don't know you should find out where the bad areas are. Savannah, Georgia is beautiful and there aren't so many people there. You should go there at least once in your life, and I'm talking about in and around the historical district. Some places outside of that are pretty bad. I also recommend Chicago, Illinois in which you should spend a day at the Field Museum if you go, and you should probably hit one of our Colonial places some time in your life, like Williamsburg, Virginia or Salem, Massachusetts where they had the witch trials! If you're into witches you might want to see Burkittsville, Maryland like I did. It's where The Blair Witch Project was filmed and at night you won't find anybody on the streets and they will have all the lights on in their houses...almost like they're afraid of something. Whatever you do, don't go to Las Vegas. It's the cheesiest place on Earth and your dad will lose all his money. Also, I've never been to New Orleans but I hear it's quite a gas. Actually scratch that, it's not really there anymore. You also might consider going to see the Grande Canyon or Washington D.C. to see the monuments and they also have some good museums. If you're looking for a tropical sort of thing you should go to Key West or you could come to Orlando and we can go to Disney World and watch the Indiana Jones stunt show with all the other tourists!

And there ya have it. An American's favourite places to go in the United States of America.

Magda

I may be biased, but I'd choose Las Vegas. It's not too far away from Los Angeles, and it's different enough from California to have a great experience. Everyone should go to Vegas at least once.

roundshort

As someone who lives in California and travels in America, alot, California really has a lot to offer. If youa re in LA, San Diego is a short drive to the south, and really really awesome. Around L.A., check out Pasadena, Orange County, but drive north and see Santa Barbara, Carmel and Big Sur (the 17 mile drive alone is worth it). And, of course the Bay City. San Francisco is an awesome town. Check out a giants game in AT&T park, visit some of the best restaurants in the world. Then my neck of the woods, Napa Valley. The first great wine area in the new world. Beautiful mountains, vineyards, and the food!

Vegas is nice, but plastic. I would say, stick to the coast and drive north!

Check out Colorado, probably the most beautiful spot in the US, that is not by an ocean. New York is also a must.

Jay R. Zay

roundshort said:
As someone who lives in California and travels in America, alot, California really has a lot to offer.

for example you could drive along and beat shorty off a bit. :p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Gustav said:
You're finally travelling and you got a paying film job?! I'm jealous. What are you doing?

I would definitely recommend New York City, but as with any city you don't know you should find out where the bad areas are. Savannah, Georgia is beautiful and there aren't so many people there. You should go there at least once in your life, and I'm talking about in and around the historical district. Some places outside of that are pretty bad. I also recommend Chicago, Illinois in which you should spend a day at the Field Museum if you go, and you should probably hit one of our Colonial places some time in your life, like Williamsburg, Virginia or Salem, Massachusetts where they had the witch trials! If you're into witches you might want to see Burkittsville, Maryland like I did. It's where The Blair Witch Project was filmed and at night you won't find anybody on the streets and they will have all the lights on in their houses...almost like they're afraid of something. Whatever you do, don't go to Las Vegas. It's the cheesiest place on Earth and your dad will lose all his money. Also, I've never been to New Orleans but I hear it's quite a gas. Actually scratch that, it's not really there anymore. You also might consider going to see the Grande Canyon or Washington D.C. to see the monuments and they also have some good museums. If you're looking for a tropical sort of thing you should go to Key West or you could come to Orlando and we can go to Disney World and watch the Indiana Jones stunt show with all the other tourists!

And there ya have it. An American's favourite places to go in the United States of America.

What am I doing? I'm filming a Griffith University's Open Day commercial and documentary. Nothing much to be jealous of. My university is paying me to do it. We are trying to choose between Orlando and LA, but it looks more like LA at moment coz Disneyworld is way more expensive than Disneyland and because of Hollywood. And it's my Mum who wants to go to Las Vegas, NOT my Dad. But, considering the prices to see shows in Las Vegas, we might not go to Las Vegas. My Dad wants (and so do I) to go to New York. If we do go to Las Vegas, we will try for the Grand Canyon as well where you can go in one of those gliderplanes and Dad wants to give that a shot and I'm going with him. My Dad's pretty adventurous. Probably why I like Indy.

Gustav said:
If you're into witches you might want to see Burkittsville, Maryland like I did. It's where The Blair Witch Project was filmed and at night you won't find anybody on the streets and they will have all the lights on in their houses...almost like they're afraid of something.

No it wasn't. I grew up in the area and they might have filmed the Burkittsville sign, that was it. They filmed it in Black Rock park, which is near me now. Though Burkittsville does have a lot of history around it, there is Gathland State park at the top of the hill, and two major civil war sites there, Antietam battle field is the biggest one. You're also close to DC and Baltimore.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Officially, my Dad went to the Travel agent and it's almost finalised. We going to LA, Disneyland, Universal Studios and Las Vegas. And yeah, we're going on Qantas coz they're got a special on and it's more direct than Air New Zealand and United. We definitely going in September. Can't wait!:whip:

Magda

Wherever my family happens to be is my home - that includes Poland, Vegas, and Southern California.