Indy V as a Hammer Film

ResidentAlien said:
No one has ever suggested that Great Train Robbery was the first feature film... It's been EXTREMELY wrongly asserted to be the first film, but feature? ...never... but that's neither here nor there. And now you'll only harp at me because I "didn't understand your sarcasm." Of course now you cannot... I deprive you of your idiotic low-blow.

Wow! you're swinging at shadows now!

LOOK OUT!

ResidentAlien said:
As to the subject at hand... the Reston incident was in chimps, was isolated and was in 1989, well into globalization at that point.
We're talking a something that would have had to come from Kenya in the 1870s to a remote island in the Caribbean. There is simply NO EVIDENCE AT ALL to support such a wild-eyed claim.

The recent findings of cocaine, nicotine, and hashish in Egyptian mummies by Balabanova et. al. have been criticized on grounds that: contamination of the mummies may have occurred, improper techniques may have been used, chemical decomposition may have produced the compounds in question, recent mummies of drug users were mistakenly evaluated, that no similar cases are known of such compounds in long-dead bodies, and especially that pre-Columbian transoceanic voyages are highly speculative. These criticisms are each discussed in turn. Balabanova et. al. are shown to have used and confirmed their findings with accepted methods. The possibility of the compounds being byproducts of decomposition is shown to be without precedent and highly unlikely. The possibility that the researchers made evaluations from faked mummies of recent drug users is shown to be highly unlikely in almost all cases. Several additional cases of identified American drugs in mummies are discussed. Additionally, it is shown that significant evidence exists for contact with the Americas in pre-Columbian times. It is determined that the original findings are supported by substantial evidence despite the initial criticisms.

ResidentAlien said:
It's like going to the Mayan ruins and screaming aliens-- it's a far-fetched, baseless claim and you're only holding on to it to support your stupid misstatement.

Yeah, just like that...

ResidentAlien said:
Let it go-- Ebola has nothing to do with zombisim.

Yeah and the Holy Grail has nothing to do with physical immortality you retard, it's an idea for an action/horror film jerk!

ResidentAlien said:
Zombisim, as I've already stated, is more likely influenced by various herbs and toxins that induce coma-- this has been documented, your wild-eyed Great Ebola Migration of 1870... hasn't.

In the light of my last response I'll just say, it's not surprising youhaven't heard or read such accounts with all the Disney Channel you're ingesting.

ResidentAlien said:
Now... if you'll pardon me, I've work in the morning. Sleep is much more interesting at this moment than your petty and idiotic straw-grabbing.

You get your rest, this will be here in the morning for you after your dose of I Carly. Hold on to those dreams!

DocWhiskey

Personally I think it would be a great idea. Something different. Maybe then it'll make the general public realize that the Indy films are based after different genres.

Dr.Jonesy

ResidentAlien said:
Which was influenced by Edvard Munch's The Scream and German Expressionism in general.

And the undead dates back further to vampire myths out of China and Europe, primarily China with their Jumping Vampires (Chiang-shih) that predates the Dracula novel.

Point being-- reanimated corpse mythology is NOT at all related to Ebola. Specifically, Zombie mythology comes from Haiti and Vampire mythology from China.

...now to bed for me.

Seriously...are you ever not in an argument???

Just asking...

Anyway, with regards to the OP, I think that is a fine route to take the franchise. I'm pretty much up for anything as long as it will make a worthy entry into the series.

(y)

AlivePoet

Violet Indy said:
if Eden was the MacGuffin you could do something decent for the snake....:rolleyes: Though I do remember reading somewhere about an idea Lucas and Spielberg had about Indy being eaten by a giant snake and escaping, which was eventually shelved and I wouldn't be surprised if this idea was to surface in an Indy V with Eden.

That's part of the reason why it would be fascinating to use Eden... bring Indy's fear with him the whole way, it'll always be in his mind that he's going into thee snake's pit. Now that's tension to compensate for IV's lack thereof, provided they don't screw it up and emphasize it effectively.

I can also imagine the ending... whereby the villain is tempted to eat the fruit. Taking this angle, I can see him/her being consumed by Satan and turning into the serpent, who then turns on Indy. A chase ensues, and it looks grim for Indy, but the disruption causes Cherubim to awaken. The serpent then turns to fight the angel. Companions escape the garden, but Indy lingers just long enough to see the two powers face off, with Cherubim's flaming sword bent on destroying the serpent. Indy then turns and runs out in time as the entire garden becomes a holy blaze of fire.

To see this done properly, I would like it to happen in the evening, so it is completely dark. This way the CGI could be toned down for the serpent, and ideally you wouldn't ever really see Cherubim... only the flaming sword would be visible at times, with the scene intercut of shots of the group escaping and Indy's reaction. This would bring a powerful bookend to Raiders, where Indy faced ultimate good in the powerful form of God, and will then witness ultimate evil in the power of Satan. Possibly, also, it would quell his fear of snakes, after seeing the largest one get destroyed by a pure power. I actually wouldn't mind ending the franchise with his fear subsided, provided the thematic material is strong enough and executed well.

Anyway, just an idea. :hat:

Johnny Nys

Did anyone ever play the computer game "Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned"? Apart from the whole Dan Brown subject matter, the last part with the booby traps had a great Indy feel to it. That game also had some great horror elements.

Darth Vile

avidfilmbuff said:
No I have not read the Monkey King script, but I have downloaded it, I'll read it eventually. The whole haunted castle thing seems an interesting idea, but I really love the idea of placing Indy against a Christopher Lee type cult leader. Perhaps a character along the lines of Boris Karloff's character in the Black Cat.

Getting back to your original topic... I think an Indy movie could well have a Hammer tonality/vibe to it (I think Burton's 'Sleepy Hollow' has come closest over recent years). Saying that, I've always seen TOD as Lucas'/Spielberg?s shot at an Indy horror movie. Mola Ram is very Boris Karloff'esque, and the thuggees are basically your zombies...

So I'd say "yes" to a Hammer vibe (a la 'Sleepy Hollow'), but "no" to a Hammer type story (as that's more 'The Mummy' franchise).

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow! you're swinging at shadows now!

LOOK OUT!

The recent findings of cocaine, nicotine, and hashish in Egyptian mummies by Balabanova et. al. have been criticized on grounds that: contamination of the mummies may have occurred, improper techniques may have been used, chemical decomposition may have produced the compounds in question, recent mummies of drug users were mistakenly evaluated, that no similar cases are known of such compounds in long-dead bodies, and especially that pre-Columbian transoceanic voyages are highly speculative. These criticisms are each discussed in turn. Balabanova et. al. are shown to have used and confirmed their findings with accepted methods. The possibility of the compounds being byproducts of decomposition is shown to be without precedent and highly unlikely. The possibility that the researchers made evaluations from faked mummies of recent drug users is shown to be highly unlikely in almost all cases. Several additional cases of identified American drugs in mummies are discussed. Additionally, it is shown that significant evidence exists for contact with the Americas in pre-Columbian times. It is determined that the original findings are supported by substantial evidence despite the initial criticisms.

Yeah, just like that...

Yeah and the Holy Grail has nothing to do with physical immortality you retard, it's an idea for an action/horror film jerk!

In the light of my last response I'll just say, it's not surprising youhaven't heard or read such accounts with all the Disney Channel you're ingesting.

You get your rest, this will be here in the morning for you after your dose of I Carly. Hold on to those dreams!

Speaking of swinging at shadows. Dear lord-- do you even recall the fallacious claims you made? You've completely failed to address them altogether at this point.

You know you've lost. So-sad.

Indie House

Rocket Surgeon said:
I've been trying to keep an even kiel with my posts but yours simply come off as, simple and unduely condescending.

Pay no attention Rocket Surgeon. I don't think many people like him very much.

ResidentAlien said:
Speaking of swinging at shadows. Dear lord-- do you even recall the fallacious claims you made?
Huh? Hey, I don't have to remember...I wrote them down so I didn't have to!:gun:
Maybe you should review them...read them out loud, it might help in comprehension.

ResidentAlien said:
You've completely failed to address them altogether at this point.

Like answering:

ResidentAlien said:
We're talking a something that would have had to come from Kenya in the 1870s to a remote island in the Caribbean. There is simply NO EVIDENCE AT ALL to support such a wild-eyed claim.

...with this:

Additionally, it is shown that significant evidence exists for contact with the Americas in pre-Columbian times.

ResidentAlien said:
You know you've lost. So-sad.

No no no no no no! YOU lost!:rolleyes: Claiming victory, awesome but a bit premature, much like many of your contentions. Too bad you don't have divinely ordained powers to rule as guardian of society, supreme arbiter not only on matters of morality, but politics as well, (see Islamic jurists).

Whereas faith is a powerful thing, I DO know that no one intends to take you at your word...I know your anger blinds you. I know you can't admit being wrong. I know you can't help but restating posts, (twisting and changing them in the process) to create something to contest. I know that your sniping is the best a google search can get and is really long in the tooth.

But fun, thanks for the tour of your mental health facility...I'll let you get back to The Siege of Toulon and of course The Siege of Reason.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Huh? Hey, I don't have to remember...I wrote them down so I didn't have to!:gun:
Maybe you should review them...read them out loud, it might help in comprehension.

Like answering:

...with this:

Additionally, it is shown that significant evidence exists for contact with the Americas in pre-Columbian times.

No no no no no no! YOU lost!:rolleyes: Claiming victory, awesome but a bit premature, much like many of your contentions. Too bad you don't have divinely ordained powers to rule as guardian of society, supreme arbiter not only on matters of morality, but politics as well, (see Islamic jurists).

Whereas faith is a powerful thing, I DO know that no one intends to take you at your word...I know your anger blinds you. I know you can't admit being wrong. I know you can't help but restating posts, (twisting and changing them in the process) to create something to contest. I know that your sniping is the best a google search can get and is really long in the tooth.

But fun, thanks for the tour of your mental health facility...I'll let you get back to The Siege of Toulon and of course The Siege of Reason.

You're a barrel of laughs. :)

You harp on about comprehension, but you still fail to get this simple point.

It has been DOCUMENTED that Zombisim in lore arouse with herbs in Haiti. There is no historical basis for any link to Ebola or hemorrhagic fever. That is a rabid, idiotic claim that you invented.

But keep up your vitriol.

What I find funny is that you speak of hatred but it was you who took a good-natured correction to your fallacious claim and instead lashed out at me and impugned my intelligence. The irony is golden.

I have nothing further to say on the matter.

emtiem

I've heard a Hammer-style Indy movie suggested before, and I like the idea a lot! I think it'd be a lot of fun to have Indy up against someone like this- a big nighttime climax in the caverns under a castle on the side of a mountain somewhere in the middle of Europe, complete with thunder and lightning outside? All as Indy battles to stop an evil cult attempting to free the Devil himself from his bonds and let him walk the Earth?
Indiana Jones and the Creature from the Pit? Yeah, bring it on. You can have Di Vinci Code-style undercover cult members at every turn (in the police, army etc.), secret libraries full of texts that have been banned by the church, a thrilling cable car ride up to the castle... works for me.

Mickiana

No zombies for Dr Jones please. It would have less credibility than aliens (for an Indy movie). Zombies are not the undead ie animated corpses, they are just people who have lost their minds ie psychologically dead.

WeAreGoingToDie

I've wanted a Hammer-like Indy film ever since Lucas mentioned the castle in the Last Crusade being carried over from an earlier haunted house script. I'm thinking a mad doctor, a vampire or a voodoo priest. :whip:

ResidentAlien said:
You're a barrel of laughs. :)You harp on about comprehension, but you still fail to get this simple point.It has been DOCUMENTED that Zombisim in lore arouse with herbs in Haiti. There is no historical basis for any link to Ebola or hemorrhagic fever. That is a rabid, idiotic claim that you invented.But keep up your vitriol.What I find funny is that you speak of hatred but it was you who took a good-natured correction to your fallacious claim and instead lashed out at me and impugned my intelligence. The irony is golden.I have nothing further to say on the matter.

1. The simple point, it was proposed as a plot device, not as factual.:rolleyes:
2. What you've not gleaned are the related or evolved virus strains, (Marburg as referenced in the book) documented in Germany as early as 68'. My point being, ebola serves as a easy example of the general threat. One not unique to Africa or restricted by borders.
3.Yeah, I thought you were good natured too!:rolleyes: As a matter of fact, good natured is what comes to mind when I see a new post from RA. Resident Alien and Opie Taylor walking hand in hand down the dirt road, fishing poles slung over the shoulder whistling! Good Natured!(y)
4. I did lash out, tis' true, however, to my embarrasment and fault, until you mentioned it, I never read your posts as though they were light hearted and fancy free. I'm going back through your posts to do just that! I'm sure to see the light!(y)

The former Soviet Union reportedly had a large biological weapons program involving Marburg.The development was conducted in Vector Institute under the leadership of Dr. Nikolai Ustinov, who died after accidentally injecting himself with the virus. The post-mortem samples of Marburg taken from Dr. Ustinov's organs were more powerful than the original strain. This new strain, called "Variant U," was successfully weaponized and approved by Soviet Ministry of Defense in 1990. Bioterrorism grants in the United States are funding research to develop a vaccine for Marburg virus.

Last edited:

deckard24

I'm not sure how I feel about zombies for an Indy movie, especially when there has been so much of them in movies, videogames, TV shows, etc. over the last few years. Granted we've never had Night of the Living Dead style zombies in an Indy film, but we did have a voodoo element in TOD.

As for a Hammer Film style Indy adventure, I'm not really for it. Personally I think the Indy films work best when done in that pulpy 1930's style, a big reason why the B-movie feel of Skull felt off to me. Even if Raiders, Temple, and Crusade were made to emulate slightly different genres, the tie that binds them together is the 1930's era and religious artifact/Mcguffins. Venturing into a new time period, and adding more of a monster movie feel with a sci-fi Mcguffin just didn't really work in my opinion, at least not in the way the original series did. If it was a non-Indy stand alone film called something else, sure it would've worked fine, but dusty old religious artifacts coupled with the elegance of the 1930's is what works to me.

I know we can't turn back time, and Ford isn't getting any younger, but if they do indeed make a fifth film I hope it is in the vein of the first three, albeit set in the late 50's.

emtiem

Just leave it, the pair of you RA and Rocket. Your argument is tiring stuff and interesting to only you.

Johnny Nys

deckard24 said:
I'm not sure how I feel about zombies for an Indy movie, especially when there has been so much of them in movies, videogames, TV shows, etc. over the last few years.

I said the exact same thing about aliens.