Is the beginning part plausible?

gear01

I Agree

Agent Spalko said:
It's voodoo magic not a nuclear bomb. I can believe in supernatural but I can't believe in outrageously far-fetched. KOTCS took it to the extreme.

Years ago when I read the Saucer Men script I thought the fridge scene was the stupidest, most far fetched thing I had ever read in any Indy script.

The whole town gets vaporized, the car escaping the town gets vaporized even though it's farther away from the town when the nuclear blast occurs, (remember they got a minute head-start traveling as fast as a speeding car can go) and yet the only piece of debris that survives hurtling over head is the lead lined refrigerator.

And why would any one have a lead lined refrigerator with food stored in it. Lead is toxic and shouldn't be anywhere near food. And lead is a metal with a very low melting point, it would have melted faster then the car, and that's completely over looking the fact that the blast wave is about 600 miles per hour, Indy would have hit the ground faster than a jet and yet he was still able to keep the door shut. Not to mention the lack of seat belts, airbags, or roll cage inside the fridge, if the ice box had survived everything else, when the door did finally open, a pile of broken bones and goo should have leaked out, instead not even a visible bruise on his naked upper body minutes later.

I'm sorry maybe I was watching a Superman movie.

Last edited:

Perhilion

Should anyone care? No. It's a movie.
Honestly, how did you guys cope with Indy, Short Round and Willie surviving a 100+ foot drop from an airplane in a rubber raft?

ValenciaGrail

when the door did finally open, a pile of broken bones and goo should have leaked out, instead not even a visible bruise on his naked upper body minutes later.

Gear01, I'll be sending you a bill for a new keyboard. I spit Red Bull all over mine while reading this :D

But thanks for adding moment of levity to a morning in which the kids are in rare rascal form...

MolaRam2

I thought of an alternate title for Indy 4:

Indiana Jones and the Flying Refridgerator

If you can't think of a better way for Indy to survive a nuclear bomb than to hide in a fridge, than maybe you shouldn't have a scene where he has to survive a nuclear bomb.

martinland

YouNeverKnow said:
Chalk up another lover. Going to see it again in about a half hour with my dad! :D
Chalk me in! ;) Have fun you two! Did exactly that three days ago! :whip: Now the fourth time might be with... ;)

Grave Robber

Wonderfully fun in this movie, not plausible at all.

Although lead lined everything else would have vaporized. That includes the plastic that seals the door, so Indy technically would have been vaporized too. But had the door held, he still would have died because the air in his lung would burn up (since nukes incinerate all oxygen)

Mothy

It is not plausibe, it is straight out of a comic book. I find it amazing that only Indy's fridge was swept up and away from the explosion like that. I take it and the film for what it is, a ride that is here to be enjoyed and nothing more. Though, that can be sometimes hard considering the quality of the previous three.

Dynamite XI

I'd like to think that the government intended to test an experimental refrigerator that day. Such a fridge might have been intended for preserving sustanance for any survivors should a US/Soviet nuclear conflict erupt, except the Doomtown model ended up preserving Indy instead.

And perhaps some residual Grail effects helped Indy survive, too.

sandiegojones

I'd love for the DVD to have some sort of feature as to the plausibility of the fridge. Maybe they actually did some sort of research to see if there was even a 20% chance of this being possible and decided to go with it since the chances are just as likely jumping out of a plane in a raft or climbing under a moving truck.Just to know they gave it serious thought should calm the haters.

sandiegojones said:
Maybe they actually did some sort of research to see if there was even a 20% chance of this being possible and decided to go with it since the chances are just as likely jumping out of a plane in a raft or climbing under a moving truck.

They're not just as likely. Myth busters proved that. Watch and learn. All the Crystal Skull defenders always use the raft scene to defend their arguments for the older Indy films always being over-the-top and implausible. It's hysterical when I show them this and utterly school them.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NODvOx0V57E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NODvOx0V57E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Agent Z

If you jump out of a crashing plane on an inflating rubber raft 100 times, I bet you would survive the fall 15 times out of a 100 falls.

Now, if you lock yourself in a fridge at ground zero of a bomb test site, I bet you would die 100 times out of 100 bombs.

Agent Z said:
If you jump out of a crashing plane on an inflating rubber raft 100 times, I bet you would survive the fall 15 times out of a 100 falls.

Now, if you lock yourself in a fridge at ground zero of a bomb test site, I bet you would die 100 times out of 100 bombs.

I agree 100%. But thats exactly my point. One is immensely unlikely but possible. One is entirely fantasy. They're NOT in the same ball game. If Myth Busters does a fridge episode and proves me wrong, I'm not above admitting being incorrect, but somehow I don't think they'll be given a spare A-bomb and doom town.

sandiegojones

FishbowlHead23 said:
They're not just as likely. Myth busters proved that. Watch and learn. All the Crystal Skull defenders always use the raft scene to defend their arguments for the older Indy films always being over-the-top and implausible. It's hysterical when I show them this and utterly school them.

Again I'm just curious to see if the filmmakers investigated the plausibility of it. You trying prove otherwise will not change my enjoyment of that scene.

sandiegojones

FishbowlHead23 said:
I agree 100%. But thats exactly my point. One is immensely unlikely but possible. One is entirely fantasy. They're NOT in the same ball game. If Myth Busters does a fridge episode and proves me wrong, I'm not above admitting being incorrect, but somehow I don't think they'll be given a spare A-bomb and doom town.
They could use a scaled down test. Put a mouse in die cast fridge replica that's about a fraction of the real thing and then use TNT in an amount relative to a 50's atomic bomb (not a nuclear bomb of today) and see what happens. Perhaps if they put the bomb in some sort of vacuum chamber they could replicate the implosion (I bet they'd never use a live animal though).

sandiegojones said:
They could use a scaled down test. Put a mouse in die cast fridge replica that's about a fraction of the real thing and then use TNT in an amount relative to a 50's atomic bomb (not a nuclear bomb of today) and see what happens. Perhaps if they put the bomb in some sort of vacuum chamber they could replicate the implosion (I bet they'd never use a live animal though).

Dude that's not even remotely the same thing. Still the thought was pretty funny. Poor mouse...you're going to have a rough day. Hah!

RocketSledFight

sandiegojones said:

I would like to see a full-scale test of the plausibility of the human-swatter tree.

RocketSledFight

Or, just test the odds of a goofy-looking professor in bow-tie like Jim Broadbent barging into my class and me not bursting into a fit of laughter.

Grizzlor

Hold on. You all want the same guys who had ghosts and lightning coming out of a box, water healing a bullet wound, and a guy pulling a still beating heart out of your chest (and you don't die) to prove the plausibility of surviving a nuclear bomb? When did Indiana Jones become Star Trek?