Confused Over LC Moment

Grave Robber

Alright I was watching Last Crusade today and, once again, the same part that has confused since I first saw the movie came on. Please help me to understand how this happened.

Indy and Marcus are looking over the map after the boat chase. Then Indy goes into his room and is SURPRISED to find it trashed. Then he goes into Elsa's room and is SURPRISED to find that trashed. Then she comes out of the bathroom (where she was preparing to get in the bathtub) and she is SURPRISED to find her room trashed.

I don't understand how they were shocked to find the apartment ransacked when they had obviously already interacted with it and should've already known. Can anyone explain this one?

Michael24

Most likely scenario: when they get back, Elsa goes into her room and Indy goes into Marcus' room with him to look over the grail tablet rubbing. While they're busy doing that, Elsa ducks into Indy's room and ransacks the place looking for the diary. When she doesn't find it, she goes back to her room and ransacks it as well, to make it look like somebody went through both rooms looking for the diary. Then Indy goes back to his room and sees what happened and goes to check on Elsa. When she comes out, she just pretends to be shocked, as if her room was ransacked during the time she was in the bathroom with the record playing loudly.

:)

The Drifter

Michael24 said:
Most likely scenario: when they get back, Elsa goes into her room and Indy goes into Marcus' room with him to look over the grail tablet rubbing. While they're busy doing that, Elsa ducks into Indy's room and ransacks the place looking for the diary. When she doesn't find it, she goes back to her room and ransacks it as well, to make it look like somebody went through both rooms looking for the diary. Then Indy goes back to his room and sees what happened and goes to check on Elsa. When she comes out, she just pretends to be shocked, as if her room was ransacked during the time she was in the bathroom with the record playing loudly.

:)

That is the way I see it also.

Darth Vile

Yes that's correct.

Although if I was Indy I would have been a little dubious at that point... as in no way is Elsa's phonogram playing loud enough to cover up the sound of her room being trashed. ;)

AndyLGR

Darth Vile said:
Although if I was Indy I would have been a little dubious at that point... as in no way is Elsa's phonogram playing loud enough to cover up the sound of her room being trashed. ;)
I was watching the film last night and I thought exactly the same.

thelaw

Indy was only surprised to see his own room trashed. He was fairly unemotional seeing Elsa's room trashed also...considering he probably felt he was close to...saying "Ah, Venice" again, he most likely did not objectively analyze the situation enough to realize she would very easily have heard someone doing all that damage. He expressed much more surprise/annoyance/anger when he realized he did fall for it.