Raiders IMAX Poster

KramStaar

cropdustdair said:
This poster should command the price. Come on...this print signed by the artist himself. How much do you think an original signed Amsel Raiders poster would go for now? This one will be worth even more 30+ years from now. And not to knock the Amsel original in any way, but the Mark Ratts Imax poster artwork is 1000 times nicer. In my opinion.
The 27x40 original Imax print goes for $100+ on eBay by itself, so to have the artist's signature on it, is well worth it for this beauty!
Not to mention these limited quantity posters are direct from Lucasfilm.

Thank you cropdustdair mate - kind words to be sure and cheers also for putting this into some perspective.

Its always hard to answer the kind of question Rocket Surgeon posed. These are not particularly cheap but considering that there will be less than 15 posters worldwide - signed by me - I feel comfortable that there is value from a collectors point of view.

In the end its about what a person wants and what an items perceived value is and while a price on any item can't possibly please everyone, hopefully it will please those who aspire to own the item in question.

Kind regards

MARK

ROB98374

KramStaar said:
G'day all --

My apologies for the slow feedback regarding the IMAX one sheet. I have been very busy and Lucasfilm has been likewise so its taken longer to get back to you than I had hoped.

I will be getting a very limited number of posters this coming week and because they're so very scarce, I thought it would be best to set up a list of people interested in acquiring a signed copy. I can confirm that these are the 27 x 40 inch one sheets but regrettably, they will be sold on a first come, first served basis.

The posters will be available from me in the next week or so at a price of $225.00 including me signing them and posted - rolled in a tube - anywhere in the world.

For those interested, a link has been provided here:
http://www.markraats.com/Store - Raiders of the Lost Ark IMAX one sheet poster.htm

Cheers and best..

MARK

Now%20Showing01.jpg
I just put in my order. Thanks for the heads up and the link!

cropdustdair said:
This poster should command the price. Come on...this print signed by the artist himself. How much do you think an original signed Amsel Raiders poster would go for now?
Funny you should say that, because Amsel was established before his Raiders work and he's dead now.

My point, to Mark, was genuine and sincere. What commands the price? Is it a lucas licensing directive or necessity? Is it supply and demand...? ;)

cropdustdair said:
This one will be worth even more 30+ years from now.
Is that the reason you want it? To sell it?:rolleyes:

cropdustdair said:
And not to knock the Amsel original in any way, but the Mark Ratts Imax poster artwork is 1000 times nicer. In my opinion.
Eh, its a question of style. I think the Marks work is fantastic as well, but I just can't get past that crappy title, and that's just my opinion.

cropdustdair said:
The 27x40 original Imax print goes for $100+ on eBay by itself, so to have the artist's signature on it, is well worth it for this beauty!
Huh? That eBay guy who was selling Steranko prints, (I think), is selling Mark's 27X40 Poster for $49...:rolleyes:

cropdustdair said:
Not to mention these limited quantity posters are direct from Lucasfilm.
Exactly why I ask.

KramStaar said:
Its always hard to answer the kind of question Rocket Surgeon posed. These are not particularly cheap but considering that there will be less than 15 posters worldwide - signed by me - I feel comfortable that there is value from a collectors point of view.
So you're setting the price...simple answer, thanks. I was wondering.

I appreciate the time and effort put into creating something, especially something as nice...

Did you use a lightbox? I would love to know more about the process, your process...I'm sure it would make for interesting reading AND justify the price.:hat:

ROB98374

Rocket Surgeon said:
Huh? That eBay guy who was selling Steranko prints, (I think), is selling Mark's 27X40 Poster for $49...:rolleyes:

That is just the starting bid. I'm sure it will go up.
Also how can you be SURE it is not a repro? There are lots of people that would sell a repro as an original to make more $$$

ROB98374 said:
That is just the starting bid. I'm sure it will go up.
Also how can you be SURE it is not a repro? There are lots of people that would sell a repro as an original to make more $$$
Who can be sure of anything?

But a track record is a good indication, and if bootlegging Steranko art work is anything to go by you're likely right.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Kramstaar said:
These are not particularly cheap but considering that there will be less than 15 posters worldwide - signed by me - I feel comfortable that there is value from a collectors point of view.

Personally, I feel the Mark is offering an unique collectable of which I glad to see him profiting directly rather than the bootleggers.

I can imagine that this will be seen as an investment and those with a genuine desire to own one will not necessarily get the opportunity.

Mark, due to the limited amount available would you be willing sign the work outside of the offer if fans could provide you with the poster?

ROB98374

KramStaar said:
Thank you cropdustdair mate - kind words to be sure and cheers also for putting this into some perspective.

In the end its about what a person wants and what an items perceived value is and while a price on any item can't possibly please everyone, hopefully it will please those who aspire to own the item in question.

Kind regards

MARK

Are they numbered also? I hope so.
I hate when something says "Limited Edition" but you have no clue on how many were produced.

Get em while you can, and you know its real, cause you can bootleg a signature too!

Numbered would be a good idea, even if they are hand numbered!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
ROB98374 said:
Are they numbered also? I hope so.
I hate when something says "Limited Edition" but you have no clue on how many were produced.

What does it matter if it's numbered or not? Does it devalue the product for you as it seems to me that the value is with Mark's signature rather than it's exculsivity?

Are you concerned that if Mark agrees to sign the poster outside of the offer this will negate it's exculsiveness?

Would you have bought the poster if it was the case that it wasn't numbered or limited?

There is nothing better than getting a personalised autograph from someone you admire. I would prefer that Mark insist on putting a personalise message then their would be doubt to whether this was a fan rather than collector recieving the work. Plus it makes it difficult to sell on.

ROB98374 how does that sound?

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
What does it matter if it's numbered or not?
As far as I'm interested, numbering the few that are available makes tracking the provenance a simpler task. That is if someone were inclined to go after such a parasite.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
As far as I'm interested, numbering the few that are available makes tracking the provenance a simpler task. That is if someone were inclined to go after such a parasite.

I agree in regards to the provenance as "numbered editions" can support the control of items however I don't think Mark is selling exculsivity but rather the unique item.

JJ said:
There is nothing better than getting a personalised autograph from someone you admire. I would prefer that Mark insist on putting a personalise message then their would be no doubt to whether this was a fan rather than collector recieving the work. Plus it makes it difficult to sell on.

Just correcting an error. From doubt to No doubt.

There has to be a middle ground to this where everyone could get an opportunity to own a poster signed by Mark.

Seeing that Mark has only recieved 15 from Lucasfilm what if he was to raised the dividend to 2,000 then fans could send the poster to Mark (postage paid) to sign (for a fee - say $100) and everyone would be a winner and Mark could potentially earn $200,000.

Last edited:

ROB98374

JuniorJones said:
What does it matter if it's numbered or not? Does it devalue the product for you as it seems to me that the value is with Mark's signature rather than it's exculsivity?

Are you concerned that if Mark agrees to sign the poster outside of the offer this will negate it's exculsiveness?

Would you have bought the poster if it was the case that it wasn't numbered or limited?

There is nothing better than getting a personalised autograph from someone you admire. I would prefer that Mark insist on putting a personalise message then their would be doubt to whether this was a fan rather than collector recieving the work. Plus it makes it difficult to sell on.

ROB98374 how does that sound?

Whether or not Mark signs posters that people send in, is up to him. He could charge a fee or not. Again, that is up to him. I am referring more on how I feel about Limited Editions.

I would hope that since it is advertised as a Limited Edition, that it is numbered so you know it truly is limited to a certain number. If more posters are made and sold later, they would have a different numbering scheme, and be different than the first run.

I think that how limited an item is, helps determine the price. If there were 10,000 signed posters available, would he get the same asking price?

It is the same with Harrison Fords autograph. There are lots of those on the web (fake ones too) and a big range of prices. But when Official Pix does a Limited Edition signing, those autographs go for more, plus you can know they are real.

Every item sold could be considered a limited edition once they quit producing it. I just feel that for an item to be truly a limited edition, it should be limited to a certain numbered run.

I don't want anybody to be deined on getting a autographed item, I just hope that there will be something that distinguishes this Limited Edition from a Repro print from China that someone gets signed from Mark.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
ROB98374 said:
Whether or not Mark signs posters that people send in, is up to him. He could charge a fee or not. Again, that is up to him. I am referring more on how I feel about Limited Editions.

I would hope that since it is advertised as a Limited Edition, that it is numbered so you know it truly is limited to a certain number. If more posters are made and sold later, they would have a different numbering scheme, and be different than the first run.

I think that how limited an item is, helps determine the price. If there were 10,000 signed posters available, would he get the same asking price?

It is the same with Harrison Fords autograph. There are lots of those on the web (fake ones too) and a big range of prices. But when Official Pix does a Limited Edition signing, those autographs go for more, plus you can know they are real.

Every item sold could be considered a limited edition once they quit producing it. I just feel that for an item to be truly a limited edition, it should be limited to a certain numbered run.

I don't want anybody to be deined on getting a autographed item, I just hope that there will be something that distinguishes this Limited Edition from a Repro print from China that someone gets signed from Mark.

I'm sure Mark will clarify the situation but my understanding is that Mark has been given a limited number of posters fom Lucasfilm. The standard S2 cinema versions of which there are 15 that he will sign. They are limited in the fact there are only 15 and I'm sure if he was able to do more he would have.

So, what your buying is a standard poster with Mark's autograph. The value is with autograph.

The only issue it seems is whether it can be proved as being real and personaly I would be satisfied with the arrangement that Mark offered as I would know within myself it was real

However, If I would be planning to sell it on I would need then need to provide a provance.

KramStaar

Good evening all --

As you can imagine, I was very surprised to wake up this morning and see such a robust debate going on regarding these posters. I?m overwhelmed and I?d like to thank everyone for taking the time to contribute in such a constructive fashion.

Let me therefore take this opportunity to try and answer all of the questions posed here. I won?t try and pick out quotations from each individual but rather, I will simply put my answers into headings which hopefully will make navigating my verbose response easier..

Genuine one sheet posters:
To be honest and because I?m not a collector, I don?t know the first thing about the specifics of lobby posters and I wouldn?t be able to tell the difference between an S2, an L5 or a B17 style poster. All I can say is that I received a bunch from Lucasfilm which I suspect were the same as those given out at the press conference prior to the launch of the campaign. They are SINGLE side printed posters (white at the back) measuring 27 x 40 inches. I know that some people have never seen this poster type before (traditionally they appear to be double sided) and all I can say in response is that these are what i was given and they match EXACTLY the poster I received about two weeks ago from Lucasfilm signed for me by Ford and Karen Allen - its single sided with plain white paper at the back (see below).

Harrison_Raiders.jpg

Numbered copies:
As I wrote to one of the Raven members earlier today, Unfortunately I can't do this due to a number of reasons and the most important is because I can't say for sure how many posters will ultimately be out there so numbering to 15 could be misleading. There is also an issue regarding the posters that have already been purchased (and posted out) because they are not numbered and those collectors would in all likelihood be very unhappy if they found out that I had numbered others.
As for the number 15, you might be interested to know that currently there are only around 10 posters that have been signed by me - the additional 5 are extra's that I?m hoping to get from Lucasfilm in the next month or two. I am ASSUMING five more posters (making 15 in total) but if Lucasfilm can secure more then they they'll send the extra's along with the five I am expecting*so as you can see, there is not a specific edition number to this. I CAN be certain that there will never be hundreds of these - 20 tops but I still anticipate around 15...

Poster Value:
As everyone knows, value is a purely subjective thing and unless you are one of the few strictly analytical individuals out there for the rest of us mortals, its normally a combination of subjective liking of the item combined with its perceived exclusiveness.
1) This poster is the first new traditional one sheet done for Raiders of the Lost Ark in 30 years and it - thankfully - wasn?t born in the womb of photoshop as Drew?s Crystal Skull poster was (see Drew?s magnificent book ?The Art of Drew Struzan? for more info). Aside from tweaks to the overall color, the removal of some lines and the reworking of Harrison's nose - all of which I fail to understand - my artwork didn?t suffer at the hands of the studios PhotoShop jockey?s as many do so, what you see in the poster is 95% my original artwork.
2) Although its safe to say that the vast majority of the posters currently being sold are bootleg the thing to remember is that this was an extremely limited release generally and the other thing to bear in mind is that as of this writing, neither Lucasfilm or Paramount are considering making this available to any of their respective licensees as a print to be sold - ever. I realize that this might change given the extraordinarily warm response to this artwork but for now, there are no plans to release this officially - so it IS exclusive no matter how its looked at.
3) Although I don?t know for sure how many signed posters will ultimately be sold (see above) its safe to say there WILL only be between 15 and 20 max. So the value (or perceived value) should be defined by that fact that this is the first new Raiders artwork undertaken in 30 years / poster copies are fairly scarce and they won?t be available at licensed prints / there will be a very limited number signed by the artist responsible for creating the artwork.

Process:
Rocket Surgeon, thanks for asking about the process. No, I don?t use a lightbox but as Drew, Alvin and others do, I will trace things from time to time - like text and certainly tricky items (like hats) to make them 100% for fans. If you?re interested, there are a number of tutorials on my web page that show the process. http://www.markraats.com/Indiana Jones Painting Tutorial.htm

Signing posters outside of this offer:
Unfortunately, I have decided NOT to sign copies of posters outside of this offer. While this might seem harsh, please remember that I have received literally hundreds of requests for posters that people want to send to me to sign. The sheer logistics of trying to ensure that each poster, mini poster or tiny litho is signed correctly (many people want specific endorsements) and then trying to ensure that each one is posted BACK correctly will take weeks and I as some of you already know I own and run three successful corporate enterprises that take up 80% of my day so unfortunately this means that I simply don?t have the time to do this.

Forged signatures:
This WILL happen once these signed posters get out into the wild so I am including a custom ?tell? on each poster which will immediately let me advise the collector if a signature is genuine or not.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions.

Kind regards and many thanks for the interest.

Best

MARK

Crack that whip

Thanks for the info, Mark (and again, congrats on your excellent work).

KramStaar said:
Genuine one sheet posters:
To be honest and because I?m not a collector, I don?t know the first thing about the specifics of lobby posters and I wouldn?t be able to tell the difference between an S2, an L5 or a B17 style poster. All I can say is that I received a bunch from Lucasfilm which I suspect were the same as those given out at the press conference prior to the launch of the campaign. They are SINGLE side printed posters (white at the back) measuring 27 x 40 inches. I know that some people have never seen this poster type before (traditionally they appear to be double sided) and all I can say in response is that these are what i was given and they match EXACTLY the poster I received about two weeks ago from Lucasfilm signed for me by Ford and Karen Allen - its single sided with plain white paper at the back (see below).

If you'll pardon my jumping in, FWIW double-sided posters (designed for use in illuminated displays - backlighting a single-sided poster results in the image looking "washed out") started to appear around the early '90s - *maybe* in '89, but they were quite rare then if they did - and became more and more common as the years went by, until by perhaps the late '90s or early '00s double-printing became the default rather than the exception. Original '80s posters for the first three movies weren't double-sided; Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the only one whose original theatrical one-sheets were... until this year. ;)

I actually would love to have both single- and double-sided posters of your Raiders poster - double- would be great if I ever had a frame in which I could backlight it, of course, but I'd also like to be able to display it alongside the various other posters, without lighting.

I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I'd also actually like to have a copy without a signature, to be able to display it the way I'd see it at a theater (as well as matching all the others, for which I'll sadly never be able to get the late great Richard Amsel's signature for obvious reasons). I don't suppose there's anywhere these will be available "plain," as it were? That's not to say I'd turn down a signed one, of course, but I couldn't really afford it right now... :eek:

KramStaar

URGENT UPDATE.

G'day all. Please note that I have regrettably decided to pull the sale of these posters for the time being because looking at the posters it appears that there might be a slight difference between the paper used with some of them and I am not sure why (they came to me in two batches). The first lot was given to me directly when I was last at Lucasfilm and the second batch was sourced for me by a Lucasfilm colleague from some spare posters originally used at the Press launch. In fairness I'm not a specialist collector so I suspect I'm jumping at shadows but I feel that I would prefer to confirm the origin of ALL the posters before I issue them to collectors like yourselves.

For those people to whom I have issued refunds, please let me know if you didn't get a FULL refund and I will rectify the shortfall.

My sincerest apologies for being seemingly over cautious. I know that nothing untoward has occurred here but if a member asks me a question and I can't answer it satisfactorily, then I don't believe I am providing the appropriate service for goods purchased.

I hope this is acceptable..

Kind regards and best

MARK

Last edited:
Thank you for the update Mark! It's strange for sure why there's two different types of paper used for the two different batches of posters you've obtained.
I'm confident that you'll work out the details and keep us all up to date!
;)

KramStaar

Good evening all - a quick update --

The five posters I felt might be an issue have been sent back. It will take about a week and a half for them to arrive back in the US. While it would be interesting to hear if anyone over there has an opinion I'm not sure there will be any reaction - after all this is a multi-billion dollar machine and I know there are far more pressing things to keep people occupied than trying to figure out if five little posters were printed on the same stock as a bunch of others.

As I said before, this was really just a perception of mine and I don't for one minute feel there is anything untoward going on. While collectors such as yourselves are very specific about the items they collect, the studio movie machine only sees items such as posters for what they are - a medium for promotion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Regarding the other posters I had, unfortunately those were sold before I even posted the new sale thread on Raven. I have kept one for myself (naturally) and I have the other one signed by Ford and Karen Allen. The problem is that these have been so astonishingly popular that they pretty much were sold the minute I said I had a few. All in all, a tiny number for a massive demand.

For those three or four Raven members who ordered posters from me, I guarantee that you'll be first to be contacted should I get replacements.

As an alternative, should those same members acquire posters from another source, feel free to contact me if you find a replacement of your own - I will gladly sign it for you free of charge?

Regards and best

MARK

indytim

Slightly off-topic but I'd like to jump in here and submit my support for Mark (Raats) being the official poster artist for Star Wars episodes VII, VIII and IX. Right now I can't imagine another professional out there with his level of artistry that could successfully meet the challenge to please all of us eager fanboys.

Think new Star Wars. Think Mark Raats (y)