Animated POTC TV series? Who's with me?

kongisking

What do you think of this idea: An animated TV series on the Disney Channel of Pirates of the Caribbean, focusing on what happened to each of the characters before/between Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. The animation style would be in the same vein as, say, Hellboy Animated. We could see how Pintel and Ragetti broke out of jail with the Prison Dog, an episode concerning that hurricane Marty mentions and how Norrington lost his ship and job, possibly show more of Will and Elizabeth and how she learned swordplay, and (my favorite idea) even an episode devoted to a seperate Jack-Sparrow-misadventure before the events of DMC. Maybe he finds a map to the ruins of Atlantis (rumored to possess the greatest treasure stash of all time) and has to get there before the ghost of Blackbeard does. Kind of like the 2-D "Clone Wars." Anyone love this idea?

Hell, I want to send a letter to WDP and request that they do this!!! :cool:

Michael24

I think there's a lot of potential in a POTC animated series. I haven't seen a good swashbuckling cartoon since THE PIRATES OF DARKWATER so many years ago.

I'd imagine all the characters would have to be recast, though, but soundalikes could help make it easier. I'd only ask that it be as good as the first movie. Heck, maybe even make it independent of the films so they could do all kinds of different stuff. (Also because I hated DEAD MAN'S CHEST and have no interest in seeing AT WORLDS' END.)

No Ticket

It would probably make money. lol. But I don't think it should be done, personally. I've had quite enough of Jack Sparrow.

kongisking

Dr. Indy Jones said:
Amen to that!!!

I wouldn't mind a PotC cartoon, just with less Jack Sparrow and more Capt. Barbossa!!!:whip:

HELL YEAH!!! I hope Bruckheimer does a Barbossa spin-off movie! :cool: (y)

nezobiwan

I like the look of the Pirates comic in Disney Adventures Magazine, but I can't see it being an animated series. Even though I'm one of the biggest PotC nerds I know, I too, have had enough of Jack Sparrow. And when I say that, I mean the endless merchandising and imitating. Pure Johnny Depp Jack Sparrow is fine by me as long as he wants to do the character. But I can't stomach someone else attempting to play the character. I was so relieved that JD did his own voice for the PotC rides in DL and WDW.

Personally, I'd like to see Norrington's adventures between the events of Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest. He went from "stuffy ice cream hair" to "crazy sexy dirty." And being a big Norrie fan, I wouldn't mind seeing how that all came about. :)

kongisking

nezobiwan said:
I like the look of the Pirates comic in Disney Adventures Magazine, but I can't see it being an animated series. Even though I'm one of the biggest PotC nerds I know, I too, have had enough of Jack Sparrow. And when I say that, I mean the endless merchandising and imitating. Pure Johnny Depp Jack Sparrow is fine by me as long as he wants to do the character. But I can't stomach someone else attempting to play the character. I was so relieved that JD did his own voice for the PotC rides in DL and WDW.

Personally, I'd like to see Norrington's adventures between the events of Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest. He went from "stuffy ice cream hair" to "crazy sexy dirty." And being a big Norrie fan, I wouldn't mind seeing how that all came about. :)

Pal, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful...aquaintence-ship. Honestly I can't tell you how happy I am to find another Norrington fan on these boards. To me, he is a tragic, Shakespearean-esque flawed anti-hero with a genuine heart and honor. His sense of decency and true care for other people is very touching, and I was nearly in tears when I saw just how low a fall James had taken after the Hurricane incident. The poor, poor man. Reduced to a poor, filthy, downtrodden drunk desperate for any, ANY chance at regaining his job. Even if it means betraying the only woman he ever cared for and essentially selling his honor to evil incarnate, Beckett.

When James dies in AWE, after finally redeeming himself and choosing the right side, I could not hold it any longer. I was sobbing in the theater, I'm serious! I probably sound like a complete geeky fan-boy right now, but that's just how big an impact the character had on me. His valiant and touching sacrifice is just one example of the pure, ****ing brilliance of the writers, Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio. I would sell my left nut to see a Norrington-spin-off movie or TV show. And I agree about the Capt. Jack comments, thank god Johnny still did the voice! I hope he finds time to do an animated TV-show/prequel (think Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury) for Jack.

(This board is turning into an excuse for me to bend down and kiss POTC's ass! Gulp!) :eek:

nezobiwan

Yeah I'm about 99% with you all the way. (y)

The only difference between my admiration for the Admiral (I take any opportunity for advanced alliteration) and yours is that I've got more *ahem* carnal interests in the character... :eek: ;)

kongisking

nezobiwan said:
Yeah I'm about 99% with you all the way. (y)

The only difference between my admiration for the Admiral (I take any opportunity for advanced alliteration) and yours is that I've got more *ahem* carnal interests in the character... :eek: ;)

Oh, so you're female? Alright, sorry then. My apologies. :eek: :hat:

nezobiwan

No, I'm just saying. There's that added dimension that is part of my enthusiasm that isn't necessarily part of yours. LOL

Niteshade007

Norrington was one of my favorite characters from the series. I suppose because he was probably the character I could relate to the most (this is what I do, find characters I have shared qualities with). So it was really sad for me when he died, and part of me thinks it was a little too underscored. There really never is any time that Elizabeth shows any grief or even mentions his death to the others (unless of course it's a deleted scene). He was a great character in the series, and underwent a great metamorphosis throughout the trilogy. Great writing.

nezobiwan

Yeah, NS007 I totally agree. Even though there was SO MUCH stuff in AWE, they could have squeezed a little more room in there for my dear Norrie.

In fact they should have cut out a lot of the Kraken in Dead Man's Chest. It was so disappointing after all the build up and then it was overused.

Niteshade007

I agree. Some of those attacks were just for overdone. I also think a LOT of the scene where they rescue Jack from the island was a bit superfluous. Dead Man's Chest is the only one that I feel is almost too long, definitely my least favorite in the trilogy. Still an enjoyable movie, but the other two were far superior in my opinion.

nezobiwan

Niteshade007 said:
I also think a LOT of the scene where they rescue Jack from the island was a bit superfluous.

Ya know a lot of people say this, but I think some of the best bits are in that sequence. Like CJS talking native, Will's inquiry as to what the cage is made of, the competitive climb to freedom, and of course the "seasoning" joke. If the movie is too long (and for sure it definitely IS), then I would rather cut out a lot of the Kraken scenes and keep the island rescue sequence in tact. And there would be a shirtless Norrie scene.... but that's just one woman's opinion.

kongisking

Niteshade007 said:
I agree. Some of those attacks were just for overdone. I also think a LOT of the scene where they rescue Jack from the island was a bit superfluous. Dead Man's Chest is the only one that I feel is almost too long, definitely my least favorite in the trilogy. Still an enjoyable movie, but the other two were far superior in my opinion.

Ah, yes...the looked-down-upon middle child...Temple of Doom shares this condemnation.

I thought of a great idea for a POTC fanfic. What if there was an all-powerful sorceror who posessed three magic rings which when met, granted the wearer the ability to travel through time? Maybe the sorceror hid the rings in 3 different global locations, and his servant drew a map to the hiding places. Perhaps, many years later, Captain Jack is hired by the King to rescue his estranged brother: a royal navy sailor who dissapeared while searching for the legendary rings. Nice chance to explore more of Jack's family and domestic issues. Also, the people who kidnapped Jack's brother are an evil zombie pirate cult who want the rings to travel back in time and resurrect the Sorceror, and thus be able to conquer the world. Doesn't that sound kick-ass or what!!!! :cool: :D :gun:

This would also make for a bat****-awesome Indiana Jones adventure!!! :whip: :cool: I'm actually quite proud of myself!