To vs. Too vs. Two

Ska

OK, so I'm not the grammar police around here. But there's a difference.

to - used as a function word to indicate movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place, person, or thing reached
"Indy went to the Well of Souls."

too - besides, also or to an excessive degree
"Is Willie Scott in Indy IV too?"
"Indy's pants are too high."

two (2) - being one more than one in number
"Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Vol. Two comes out soon."

Children should already know this.... Long before they're old enough to sign up to a PG-13 rated message board.

Same with Their VS There VS They're

nezobiwan

SKAbatula said:
two (2) - being one more than one in number
"Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Vol. Two comes out soon."

And the one that I hate....

I could care less vs. I couldn't care less.

If you mean to say that you don't care you need to use the phrase "I couldn't care less" (Meaning you are at the lowest possible level of caring)

"I could care less" means that you still retain some amount of caring.

Suffice to say, if there were such a thing as grammar police on this board I would throw my hat in for the sheriff position.

:gun:

"I could care less vs. I couldn't care less."
Those are both turns of phrase that, regardless of original meaning, have come to mean pretty much the exact same thing....

There's nothing wrong with Grammar Police.... but one can never expect language to be static. Language must be constantly evolving and growing.... If it doesn't, like all things, it dies.

A language pet-peeve of mine.... Use of the nonexistent word "Irregardless"... but even I'm getting used to the fact that I'm fighting a losing battle against a swelling tide of ignorance....

Ska

Maybe it's due to the amount of members not having Engish as their first language.

If so, think of this as an educational opportunity.

And I also agree with I could care less not being correct. This one has even spread into media and entertainment.

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
"I could care less vs. I couldn't care less."
Those are both turns of phrase that, regardless of original meaning, have come to mean pretty much the exact same thing....

There's nothing wrong with Grammar Police.... but one can never expect language to be static. Language must be constantly evolving and growing.... If it doesn't, like all things, it dies.

A language pet-peeve of mine.... Use of the nonexistent word "Irregardless"... but even I'm getting used to the fact that I'm fighting a losing battle against a swelling tide of ignorance....

Ick ick ick! :sick:

Just promise me that you won't use that word yourself! :hat:

I'm not against new words being made or old words changing usage. I realize that it's natural and happening constantly.

I have no issues with the words "blogging" or "podcasting." Nor do I have issues with people saying "sick" or "ill" to mean "cool" (another evolved word).

What I DO have issue with is people using words for their exact opposite meaning...

Like when people use "literally" improperly. "He literally ripped his head off!" No, he didn't... you shouldn't use that word if you don't know what it means...

Or one time someone insulted a girl in my class and she responded by saying "Hey, I resemble that."

:mad: (n)

She means to say that she "resents" it! She said the exact opposite of what she meant to say! And all because she never bothered to learn her own language... or rather no one bothered to teach her.

....ok I better stop before my rant continues to include modern U.S. education...

Ska

nezobiwan said:
I have no issues with the words "blogging" or "podcasting." Nor do I have issues with people saying "sick" or "ill" to mean "cool" (another evolved word).

What about "fo' shizzle"?

Ska

I don't think US education is THAT bad...or do I live in my own little bubble?

I think it's what the student makes of the education...you have to care to learn in order to learn.

"I don't think US education is THAT bad..."
Take a look at the studies done by independent groups that put it way nearer the bottom than the top.

"You're pretty lucky to be Canadian."
Yes... yes I am! :)

Ska

Then I admit that I do live in my own bubble world. It's easy to see the world as you see your own life...meaning I would call myself rather educated, happy, and all that good stuff. So I assume that the rest of those around me, and in the US, are the same.

But you're right. There are a lot of poor and uneducated areas in the US (thanks West Virginia). I would think that the good would outweigh the bad, but I guess not.

nezobiwan

SKAbatula said:
Then I admit that I do live in my own bubble world. It's easy to see the world as you see your own life...meaning I would call myself rather educated, happy, and all that good stuff. So I assume that the rest of those around me, and in the US, are the same.

But you're right. There are a lot of poor and uneducated areas in the US (thanks West Virginia). I would think that the good would outweigh the bad, but I guess not.
Florida (my current residence) has a pretty bad education rep.

Of course I attended public school in Texas and Illinois... :cool:

IndySeven

SKAbatula said:
I don't think US education is THAT bad...or do I live in my own little bubble?

I think it's what the student makes of the education...you have to care to learn in order to learn.

US education is not that bad at all!(y)

If it was, the majority of Americans would be dumb, which is not true.

You don't live in your own little bubble, many people think that US education is great!

"you have to care to learn in order to learn."
Yes, but you have to CARE to teach in order to teach as well...

Can't have one without the other.

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
"you have to care to learn in order to learn."
Yes, but you have to CARE to teach in order to teach as well...

Can't have one without the other.

That the problem that I've perceived... I didn't want to learn any math in high school because the teachers were so boring and lifeless and thought ill of me for not wanting to learn it. But then I had to take some college math classes and my teachers were fun and enthusiastic. Same situation with biology. Got an A in both of those courses, whereas in high school I was "taught" the same material and I got D's.

Maybe the difference is the pay...?

I don't think it was a change in my attitude because I've always been a good student.

deckard24

I don't think the education system is bad in the U.S., it's the missing work ethic in students that is the issue! I've spoken to numerous students here from other countries, that are amazed at the lack of drive that American students have. The more you apply yourself, the further you will succeed. It's pretty simple actually! Now this doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of motivated students here in the U.S., there just happens to be an overabundance of underachievers.

This is just my experience though!