Are Indy and his dad immortal now?

I can't see them resurrecting Indy to have him finished off! What's feel good about that? A series of films that leave a sour taste in the mouth! Don't do it.

Ska

herr gruber said:
I would want no further association with the Indy franchise if they killed him.

Not a problem, as Indy wouldn't have a future once he's dead.

:D

Yeah, I guess there's always a possibility for prequels.

I say kill Indy within the first 5 minutes of KOTCS. How about that for a shocker!

Please, don't Mr. Lucas & Mr. Speilberg. That would be horrible.

"Three beautiful films could be destroyed by a rogue fourth"
Ballsack! Nothing that happens in Indy 4 has ANY impact on the first 3 movies, unless you LET it impact on them....

Here we go again.

Of course it does! If you care about Indiana Jones and you follow all four movies, it's only natural to be upset and disappointed if he 'comes a cropper'. These ARE continuing adventures.

Ska

One bad apple can spoil the bunch...or something like that.

As long as Indy IV has him trying to get to an artifact before a bad guy, I'll like this movie.

Who's to say yet if the movie is good or great. But I believe it's impossible (yeah, I said it) for an Indy fan to not like an Indy movie. It might not be my favorite, but it has to be better than 95% of the crap that hits theaters regularly...just because of the "get the artifact before the bad guy" genre that it is.

"Of course it does!"
It might be natural for you, but it's arrogant to think that because it's 'natural' for you, it HAS to be natural for everyone....

There's a thread elsewhere where someone used the fallacy "No True Fan"... You aughta have a look at that one, kiddo....

2 lousy sequels didn't change the fact that The Matrix is a wonderful movie....

3 lousy sequels didn't ruin Tremors.....

I won't care if Indy 4 is half as bad as I think it's likely to be... it won't change Temple, Raiders or Crusade one iota....

I can't imagine WHY you'd LET it change them....

"One bad apple can spoil the bunch"
Only if you let it... if you get it out of the bunch, they'll be fine.

ClintonHammond said:
"Of course it does!"
It might be natural for you, but it's arrogant to think that because it's 'natural' for you, it HAS to be natural for everyone....

There's a thread elsewhere where someone used the fallacy "No True Fan"... You aughta have a look at that one, kiddo....

2 lousy sequels didn't change the fact that The Matrix is a wonderful movie....

3 lousy sequels didn't ruin Tremors.....

I won't care if Indy 4 is half as bad as I think it's likely to be... it won't change Temple, Raiders or Crusade one iota....

I can't imagine WHY you'd LET it change them....

How can you be a 'true' fan and are you suggesting that I am one? Thank you for the compliment.

"How can you be a 'true' fan"
You can't... it's a logical fallacy.... no such thing exists.

"you suggesting that I am one?"
Not in the least....

"Thank you for the compliment."
There was no compliment, kiddo.

How can you get it out of the bunch? It is a bona fide Indy film. If I give up smoking, sure I wont be seen with a cigarette but the effects of it will always be there.

Ska

By turning your head from it...ignoring that the film even exists.

Easier said than done, but it's possible (I guess).

"How can you get it out of the bunch?"
Ignore it... Just like you can chose to ignore the so-called "Star Wars Prequels".... They don't factor into ones enjoyment of Star Wars in the least...

Where is it written that you have to 'take it all as a whole'??

Ridiculous. It's there and it's there for all time. The next chapter in this hero's screen life. Nothing can change that. When Indy rides into the sunset in LC there ARE further adventures. Adventures in which he may die...

What is the title of this new film?
Fred Boggins and the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull?
No, Indiana Jones! Impossible to extract it from the others.

And why does that mean YOU have to give them any thought at all?

Especially if you've seen them once and didn't like them

(I especially like how you've managed to SUCK another thread WAY off topic, kiddo... Is obtuse a hobby of yours? )

What are you talking about? I love the originals. If we are off topic it's because you have joined in! Tends to happen. Nitpicking for nitpickings sake, driving the original topic into a critique of your opponents grammar, breathing techniques or whatever.

chapter11

ClintonHammond said:
(I especially like how you've managed to SUCK another thread WAY off topic, kiddo... Is obtuse a hobby of yours? )

Is overusing the word "kiddo" a hobby of yours?

Back on topic, sort of, I'd say that you can tell interesting stories about an immortal, but it's difficult. Doctor Who is essentially immortal, for example, but his companions aren't. So you worry for them, which gives the story some life.

Also, CH, aren't I supposed to be on your ignore list? Please put me back on there. I found it flattering.

"What are you talking about?"
So apparently obtuse just comes naturally to you.... noted.

To get back On Topic... Indy... Immortality....
It's accepted that no, Indy isn't immortal after Indy 3.... but if he was.... a HELL of a challenge to write interesting stories when your hero is incapable of being in peril.... Maybe that's why there aren't any compelling stories that have truly immortal heroes in them.... At least I can't think of any.... Even the slew of, for instance, "Vampire As Hero" books/movies that are out there... The heroes immortality is conditional.... (Highlander is an example of a GREAT story told about a hero with conditional immortality... It's also a wonderful example of ONE great movie that is only sullied by the dreck that came afterwards, if one ALLOWS it to be...)

I'm hard pressed to think of other examples....

(I suppose the driods in Star Wars have a KIND of immortality.... provided they aren't TOO damaged, or have their memories flushed.....)

Last edited: