Indy lost his hat!?

audiophile

In the scene at the soda jerk shop, where indy and mutt hammer out the details early in the film.

As they are walking out, indy places his hat onto a person in a effort to further the fist-fight.

He is not seen getting it back at all.

He is then(next) seen wearing it in the plane with Mutt.

Did this bother anyone? I always enjoyed seeing him leave any given altercation with hat in hand.

Your thoughts please,

Many Thanks

Blue Jay

the solution is very simple! there were two different hats. one was grey and that was the one he placed on top of one of the guys in the diner and the other hat is his standard brownish one ;)

YouNeverKnow

No, it has to be the same hat. The wind gifted it to him in Last Crusade, and ants handed it to him in KotCS. It follows that this particular instance must have happened by a flotilla of flying fish that air-mailed it to him shortly after Indy and Marion's return from the Ark Isle. ;) ;) ;)

Only kidding. The fact that the hat never leaves is one of the best parts of any of the films.

audiophile

I'm glad someone else is feelin' me.
I've never thought of him as having 2 different hats.

Lucas/spielberg always matained that these movies can be defined by the fact that indy never looses his hat.

YouNeverKnow said:
No, it has to be the same hat. The wind gifted it to him in Last Crusade, and ants handed it to him in KotCS. It follows that this particular instance must have happened by a flotilla of flying fish that air-mailed it to him shortly after Indy and Marion's return from the Ark Isle. ;) ;) ;)

Only kidding. The fact that the hat never leaves is one of the best parts of any of the films.

Indy Jones

YouNeverKnow said:

Katanga probably shipped it to him.

IndyFanSince3

Two hats in Raiders, two hats in Crystal Skull

If you look closely, you'll see that the hat Indy's wearing in the cafe is light grey. Similar if not the same, as the hat he wears in the second-to-last scene in Raiders. :hat:

audiophile

I can see your point when drawing comparisons between these two scenes.
Still, the fact that he walked away from a fight, albeit it staged, without his hat, was out of character for me. At least enough so to grab my attention from a visual standpoint.

But then again, I'm 32 years old, a skilled professional, with a son, and I'm posting on an Indiana Jones message board.

IndyFanSince3 said:
If you look closely, you'll see that the hat Indy's wearing in the cafe is light grey. Similar if not the same, as the hat he wears in the second-to-last scene in Raiders. :hat:

MattJones

IndyFanSince3 said:

Didn't he wear the same hat on the seaplane to Nepal? I could be wrong...

Maybe they should just release a high quality Blu-Ray edition in order for me to figure it out... (y)

James

According to the novelization, Indy leaves his fedora and whip behind when he departs for the train. He does this because of a speech the Dean had previously given him, where he spoke of a man wondering what his legacy will be.

So Indy intentionally leaves his gear behind, because he decides to try and find a new path in life. When he and Mutt return to the house later, Indy retrieves his fedora and whip, in symbolic fashion.

Of course, none of this was probably filmed, but it may have been in the original script. The dialogue from the Dean's speech is certainly repeated enough to make me suspect that was in there at some point.

As for Indy leaving his hat in general, doesn't he leave his hat behind at LC's Venice library?

Last edited by a moderator:

eroc

This is a stupid thread. Don't you think a man like Indy that loves his hat and does what he does would have multiple hats? Dress grays and casual browns.

ValenciaGrail

I think of the hat as Indy's Horcrux. As the hat goes, so goes Indy.
The REALLY close calls will always be signalled by the hat actaully coming off:
- Tank going over the cliff in LC
- Anthill fight with Dovchencko in KOTCS

But - in all cases, the hat does come back, either by a fortunate gust of wind or via the ant-repellent properties of the crystal skull.

--------------------------------------------------------------

BTW - that's reason enough for me to want one of those skulls. Three kids leave a lot of crumbs on the floor, especially the 18-month old whose word for "I don't like that" is crumbling up said food item and tossing it.

If the broom misses a piece, we'll wake up the next morning and ask:
"Why does the floor move?"
"ANTS!...very dangerous..."
...but I digress....