Indy toys to be released in May 2008

tnswman

Well,,,, Hasbro answered an Indy related question this week in the Q/A You can see the results here at http://www.bobasbounty.net/

It's a little bit down the page.

May 2008 before the 1st figures see the shelves??? I find it hard to believe... that means they wil lbe shipping the vintage line with the Indy 4 line....That's a huge difference to their previous release models.

Why show them this early in such a completed stage when they are almost a YEAR away?

I hope this is a mistake.

Niteshade007

I personally thought that Christmas seemed a little too early, but I am surprised that the figures aren't coming out in March or April before the movie. As I have said before, I don't know anything about the production of action figures and how they tie into films, but it seems that if the products are made to produce hype for a film, you want them to come out long enough before a film to create attention, yet close enough that you don't completely forget about the action figures you bought 5 months ago.

ChromiumBlue37

For some reason the link only takes me to a list of exclusive Star Wars toys. May release sounds more like an appropriate time for the Indy 4 toys.

No Ticket

Perhaps they are waiting to release them since kids who buy them won't know what character is what until they've seen the film. Or maybe Spielberg wants to keep some of the characters and/or scene spoilers out of the public eye until after the movie opens.

tnswman

No Ticket said:
Perhaps they are waiting to release them since kids who buy them won't know what character is what until they've seen the film. Or maybe Spielberg wants to keep some of the characters and/or scene spoilers out of the public eye until after the movie opens.

All of you are missing the point.....the LAST thing Hasbro should do is start cold with the COMPLETE Indy line-up in May of 08....They need to have a preveiw wave on shelves from dec, 07- May, 08 to generate that interest. It has worked with EVERY Movie franchise forthe last 8 years!!

If Hasbro swamps the shelves with Indy 4 toys mixed with the Vintage Trilogy line, it will be too hard for new product to get on the shelves....A LOT of secondary characters wil have to sell before cases are refreshed....take it from us who have collected for 30 years, THIS IS A MISTAKE!

tnswman

No Ticket said:

Also, You miss the point that this was not asking about the Indy 4 line.. .NOBODY here expects them to be out until May....This is talking about the Vintage Trilogy figures... They need them on shelve in DEC to generate interest in Indy as a franchise.....The figures that we jsut saw, NOT the Indy 4 figs.

ChromiumBlue37

As you said, tnswman, the post was just a little bit down the page on Boba'sBounty. My apologies to you, Sir. Next time I should slow down and read more carefully.

I will bet anything that Hasbro is referring to the Indy 4 line being released in May. As stated the question asked referred to a "Sneak Preview", and not the Vintage Trilogy figures. The usual track record for toy releases show that movie toys are available anywhere from 2 to 1 month before the movie release.

The samples we saw at Comic Con look as though they are ready for release within 6 months at most. However, I could be wrong!

ChromiumBlue37

To add to my above post. Hasbro and Lucasfilm will more than likely get kids and collectors familiar with Indiana Jones again during the months before the movie is released. This strategy has been used before and should be effective. Expect a reissue of the classic DVD's and other merchandise early in 2008 as well.

Take it from TNSWMAN. We have been collecting for a long time and are familiar with these trends. My action figure collection started back during the original Star Wars days in 1978 and has not stopped once. Hasbro will whet our appetites and get us ready for Indy 4 with getting re-acquainted with the origal Indiana Jones Trilogy first. Time will most certainly tell!

IndySeven

tnswman said:
Well,,,, Hasbro answered an Indy related question this week in the Q/A You can see the results here at http://www.bobasbounty.net/

It's a little bit down the page.

May 2008 before the 1st figures see the shelves??? I find it hard to believe... that means they wil lbe shipping the vintage line with the Indy 4 line....That's a huge difference to their previous release models.

Why show them this early in such a completed stage when they are almost a YEAR away?

I hope this is a mistake.

RATS!!!

Now I'll have to wait all the way till May 2008 to get my Indy 4 figures!!!!!:(

I really hope that this is a mistake!:)

JimmyPSHayes

I have to agree. I've been collecting since the original Star Wars figures and I'm also a retailer. There's no way HASBRO won't give us something at or around Christmas time. They've done it for all the SW Prequels, as well as Transformers.

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:
To add to my above post. Hasbro and Lucasfilm will more than likely get kids and collectors familiar with Indiana Jones again during the months before the movie is released. This strategy has been used before and should be effective. Expect a reissue of the classic DVD's and other merchandise early in 2008 as well.

Take it from TNSWMAN. We have been collecting for a long time and are familiar with these trends. My action figure collection started back during the original Star Wars days in 1978 and has not stopped once. Hasbro will whet our appetites and get us ready for Indy 4 with getting re-acquainted with the origal Indiana Jones Trilogy first. Time will most certainly tell!

That's what was shocking about the response from Hasbro...If they are talking about sneak preview figures from the movie, that's perfectly FINE.. .However, If the Main Indy line is starting in May, 2008....You better believe that it will not be an easy task to get the toys on the shelves.

Here is to hoping that the Hasbro rep was ONLY talking about the Indy 4 line...I do not expect to see "Official" Images of that line until Toy Fair...However, There will be leaks from overseas...around nov we will probably see a figure or two hit the internet from the Indy 4 line.

To be honest, I am not concerned about Indy 4...I just want the main Vintage line to start this winter. With the Young Indy DVDs coming then, the time will be right.

No Ticket

tnswman said:
Also, You miss the point that this was not asking about the Indy 4 line.. .NOBODY here expects them to be out until May....This is talking about the Vintage Trilogy figures... They need them on shelve in DEC to generate interest in Indy as a franchise.....The figures that we jsut saw, NOT the Indy 4 figs.

I thought both lines were being released simultaneously.

tnswman

No Ticket said:
I thought both lines were being released simultaneously.

We better hope not. That would be a retail nightmare. Hasbro needs to focus on Indy 4 for the Majority of 2008 and slide back into the vintage Trilogy after that....The Vintage trilogy should see at least 2 waves one large and oe smaller wave before the Indy 4 toys hit.

This is a tried and true marketing plan that Hasbro has used for EVERY movie line in the recent years.

Even The Pirates toy line had a preview line last DEC for the new movie which came out 6 months later. It just works and generates interest in the toys of the property.

Let's face it, there are not a lot of Indy collectors. They have to be nurtured...Believe me, we NEED Indy to have a large population of toy collectors if we want the series to run it's full course.

The Indiana Jones collection will be a relative small line of toys compared to other lines. However, if the sales follow the previous releases, Indy could be short lived and not complete. The line can grow some if they include expanded universe characters from books, Games and comics.

It just needs to start this winter to go into 2008 at full steam....If Hasbro places the Vintage line out with the Indy 4 line, you force parents and collectors to choose and when that happens, one line will suffer. To avoid this, Hasbro needs excitement and proper pacing of waves.

berelain19

OOHHH,I'm soo excited!!! I'm gonna save up for all those action figures!
I don't mind it will take this long,because I'm gonna spend munny in Disneyland-paris first!!