oki9Sedo

Be honest. For me:

1. Heat
2. The Last of the Mohicans
3. AI: Artificial Intelligence
4. ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
5. The Mission
6. Once Upon A Time In America

Oh, and The Godfather Part III because it was so f*cking sh*t. (joke)

Hmmm, fun topic...

Ikiru (destroys me every time...)
Autumn Sonata (ooooh man.... brutally emotional)
Paths of Glory

Those are the three coming to mind right now...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
<I>Ikiru</I> didn't make me cry, but it easily could have.

<I>To Kill a Mockingbird</I> does. "Scout, stand up, your father's passin'" obviously gets me, and the last scene, with "Bob Ewell fell on his knife" and "Hey, Boo" and "I believe he already knows you" and obviously "he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning." I don't know, I'm the type who gets chills rather than crying, but it'll happen in this one sometimes. I suppose the fact that I played Atticus once has some effect on that, but I'm obviously not the only one who reacts that way.

The other thing that stands out, other than, say, Dumbo, is certain episodes of the West Wing, primarily those dealing with Leo, and occasionally those with Toby. If any of you know the series, I'm talking "Bartlet for America," "Memorial Day," "Drought Conditions," the final moments of "2162 Votes," and the conversation between CJ and Toby in "Institutional Memory."

Ah, also, when they're leaving in Fiddler on the Roof, and "Sunrise, Sunset."

And, despite myself, Field of Dreams.

Attila the Professor said:
<I>Ikiru</I> didn't make me cry, but it easily could have.

Actually you know what makes me cry more than Ikiru? The fact that Jim Sheridan has signed on to direct a remake produced by Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks. Real tear-jerker that is. Damn Sheridan. Damn Spielberg. Damn Hanks. Three hacks raping one of cinema's great masterpieces.

Joe Brody

oki9Sedo said:
Be honest. For me:

1. Heat
2. The Last of the Mohicans
3. AI: Artificial Intelligence
4. ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
5. The Mission
6. Once Upon A Time In America

Oh, and The Godfather Part III because it was so f*cking sh*t. (joke)

Interesting thread.

#1 & #2, would make my list -- but AI, are you kidding? Question on Heat -- what subplot is the most compelling?

For me, About a Boy is my Colt 45 -- at the end during the Marcus kid's performance. I can't tell you how much verbal abuse my wife has given me over my attachment to that film over the years.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned It's a Wonderful Life. Legends of the Fall -- used to rank.

Attila the Professor said:
And, despite myself, Field of Dreams.

Yeah, this one has choked me up -- until I remember that it's a self-serving, self-righteous baby-boomer tripe.

sarah navarro

Old Yeller I hate when animals die.
E.T.(this one kills me every time!)
The Land Before Time
Babe
Pans Labryinth:(
Of Mice and Men
The Green mile

sarah navarro said:
Old Yeller back i hate when animals die ,E.T.(this one kills me every time!),The Land Before Time,Babe,Pans Labryinth:(

Oh ****, yeah! Pan's Labyrinth. Why didn't I think of that one? Absolutely destroyed me. Great stuff.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Actually you know what makes me cry more than Ikiru? The fact that Jim Sheridan has signed on to direct a remake produced by Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks. Real tear-jerker that is. Damn Sheridan. Damn Spielberg. Damn Hanks. Three hacks raping one of cinema's great masterpieces.

Oh, hell, no.

oki9Sedo

Joe Brody said:
Interesting thread.

#1 & #2, would make my list -- but AI, are you kidding? Question on Heat -- what subplot is the most compelling?

The relationship between Neil and Vincent. How about you?

oki9Sedo

ResidentAlien said:
Exactly my reaction....

Jim Sheridan is hugely overrated. His only popular films were only popular because Daniel Day-Lewis shone in them.

Unfortunately Ireland has never had a truly great director. Neil Jordan is probably our best.

Gear

For me it was:

Milo and Otis
&
Moluin Rouge

I know there have been more but I cant think of any right now...

Oh yeah: the movie "IT"...... no just kiding ;)