Labyrinth

Katarn07

So we have a topic on a Lucas production, Willow. How about one for Labyrinth? It's definately one of my favorites of all time. Some of the special effects held up, others not so much. The imagery of the environment and characters is great. And David Bowie rules as Jareth. He wasn't so scary when I was little, but now? Yikes!

Katarn07

I own it. I wasn't too impressed by it. I might give volume 2 a whirl, but I'm sure I can find better ways to spend $10. There were some cool elements to it, and I really do like the idea behind it, but the art and feel of it were too out there for me.

Love this film though I only first saw it a few months ago. I was robbed of a proper childhood due to having never been exposed to this wonderful film.

Jim Henson was a brilliant brilliant man!

Lucas was just one of 5 'producers'... this is NOT one of 'His Films'

(Many that's one reason it doesn't suck)

metalinvader

ClintonHammond said:
Jim Henson was a brilliant brilliant man!

Lucas was just one of 5 'producers'... this is NOT one of 'His Films'

(Many that's one reason it doesn't suck)

I can still remember the day he died.I was only 8 years old at the time but I still remember my mother telling me about it.

If you ask me all the Muppet movies made after his death were second rate.The magic was simply gone.

"all the Muppet movies made after his death were second rate."
Of all the specific Muppet Movies, "Muppet Christmas Carol" is the best of the bunch.... Brian Henson has done a WONDERFUL job keeping the magic alive!

NoCamels

I saw the trailer for Labyrinth on some video I rented, and boy, did it look creepy and horribly horribly bad! But then a friend talked me into watching it and it was actually pretty good. David Bowie was still creepy, but in a good way.

berelain19

Great film! Great songs!
Hoggle looks like my uncle,Ludo looks like Neill from the Young ones! And my friend and I were always appalled by Jareth's tights...

I like that little worm that says 'allo! And those two liars(''papapapom,certain death''),oh and the doorknockers! And those wall-corner-statue-faces! ''oh,please,I haven't said it for such a long time''.

*sigh*...it's all great!
The only ones I don't care for are Sarah and Toby.Why can't the kid stay in one place? Why does she nag all the time??

Matinee Idyll

_40127544_students_203152.gif

labyrinth_ludo.jpg

nezobiwan

I also only recently discovered this film. Since watching it, I've found a love for David Bowie's music. The movie is just ok in my opinion, but I definitely respect it and I respect the love that people have for it. A lot of my respect comes from the fact that so many people I love took part in making it. Others in this thread have mentioned George Lucas and David Bowie and Jim Henson... but has anyone mentioned Terry Jones (of Monty Python)? That's what convinced me to watch the film; everyone else I listed is awesome, but I have to admit TJ was the clincher.

and BTW.... Muppet Treasure Island is the best Muppet movie IMO. I mean you have Tim Curry singing! Plus it's SO quotable.

GONZO: It just feels so weird.
RIZZO: You mean that Mr. Erroll's dead?
GONZO: Yeah, that ..... and my pants are filled with starfish.

ERROLL: [calling roll] Old Tom.
OLD TOM: Aye!
ERROLL: Real Old Tom.
REAL OLD TOM: Aye...
ERROLL: Dead Tom.
RANDOM PIRATE: [holding a skeleton and puppeting it] Aye-aye!

ERROLL: That will be 40 lashes and then you walk the plank.
KERMIT: I didn't say that, Mr. Erroll.
ERROLL: I was anticipating your whim, sir.
[and then later in a similar exchange: "I was just paraphrasing."]

Okay, sorry I had to make my case (and I think Christmas Carol is a close second, but it's too sad and often serious for my taste. Though Michael Caine is definitely the man) .... back to Labyrinth talk.

I love the M.C. Escher stairs in the movie. :)

Katarn07

nezobiwan said:
The movie is just ok in my opinion, but I definitely respect it and I respect the love that people have for it.

I agree that it could be better. Most of my friends that see it think it's interesting.... but not worth watching again. lol I probably would agree with them, but I saw it as a kid (even before I saw Star Wars, believe it or not) and I loved any movie that could make me use my imaginiation.

|ZiR|

Labyrinth. The only film I own on DVD that I have no intention of ever watching again. I mean, I've tried to... but once I we get to the bog of enternal stench, my interest wanes.

And for a movie called LABYRINTH, which takes place inside a mythical Labyrinth, I sure feel like we didn't see nearly enough of it. It never seemed like she was really in a maze to me. The Goblin City was lame, too. Meh.

My favorite character in the film is either the worm, or that old guy w/a bird for a hat.

Sarah was _such_ a brat. "OMG, I have to babysit my stepbrother!! My parents divorced and I don't like my stepmother!!! My life is horrible! I hate you!!!!11!" Ugh. Thank God they didn't have LJ or Myspace back in '86. She never would've left the computer.