Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #26
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
I think movie watchers of late forget one piece of moviemaking that is most key. Studios make movies to make MONEY. This movie will solve that problem.

We all say we want art and true storytelling with rich environments, but we support the opposite with our monies going both the films, and to larger corporate sponsors who want differently. (That is, to make money)

We're all hypocritical viewers in that sense. Unless you're a pirate. Then you're taking what you want without giving anything back.

I'm not calling you out IB, just pointing out something that bothers me about what people say they want and what they truly support.

Argument as old as time really.

You're right and I get what you're saying. The reason these things exist is because studios will always side with whatever makes the most money and we're all guilty of giving our hard-earned dollars to schlock at one point or another. Heck, I went with my family to see The Scorpion King, so I have to face my own hypocrisy on this issue too.

For all I know this film may be great, or it may be terrible. I like a wide range of films, from classics and indie films to blockbusters and huge franchises. I'm not picky but aside from easy money there's zero point to rebooting the Mummy franchise at this point. Obviously the name-brand recognition and "edgier" tone may be enough to sway audiences; I guess I just lost interest in it after the tepid third movie. Ultimately audiences will decide but I'll be sitting this one out. I don't frequent theaters much anymore so maybe I'm just too cheap and picky to know what's hot anymore!
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #27
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
I don't frequent theaters much anymore so maybe I'm just too cheap and picky to know what's hot anymore!

Voting with your wallet. Kudos. Your next beverage is on me.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #28
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Bird strikes. Sully'll like it.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #29
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Trailer 2 shows off more of the plagues and other supernatural ephemera.

curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #30
Moedred
Administrator

Javier Bardem (Frankenstein’s monster) and Johnny Depp (Invisible Man) added to Universal's Dark universe. David Koepp will write Bride of Frankenstein, up next, due February 2009. Sizzle reel:

Dracula and Wolfman not yet (re)cast.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #31
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Maybe it's just me but is anyone else tired of everything needed to be some big, connected universe?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #32
Moedred
Administrator

Notre Dame and Palais Garnier are only 3 km apart. How about Hunchback vs Phantom in present day? Les Misérables needed more underground scenes, as described in this Paris UX article.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #33
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Maybe it's just me but is anyone else tired of everything needed to be some big, connected universe?

In fairness, the original Universal monster line was a shared universe six decades before shared universes were the hot film trend.

It's sort of a pity that people are treating the rebooted line like its copying Marvel, when Universal first started crossing over its monsters in the 1940's.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #34
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
In fairness, the original Universal monster line was a shared universe six decades before shared universes were the hot film trend.

It's sort of a pity that people are treating the rebooted line like its copying Marvel, when Universal first started crossing over its monsters in the 1940's.

I didn't mind it initially but now it seems like every studio is trying to do this. If people are still into it then I guess it's understandable why they'll keep going with a winning formula.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #35
JasonMa
IndyFan

I can only think of 4 shared universes and 3 of the 4 have precedent

Marvel - Obviously the universe is shared in the comics
DC - Ditto
Universal Monsters - This was a shared universe when they were first developed

The only "stretch" I see is the combined Godzilla/King Kong universe which we really haven't seen yet
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #36
TheFedora
IndyFan

Unsure how I feel about this. But yes, seems at least some of the monsters will work together. I mean we already have Mr Hyde in the Mummy and Invisible Man...thing that concerns me though is how all this ties in organically
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #37
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon

Great post and its something that seems to have been lost sight of. I wonder if the advent of these new movies will also see some reissues of the original classics.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #38
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Trailer looked very good, should be a good watch.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #39
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

"The Mummy" with Tom Cruise, movie review mentions Our Man

In ‘The Mummy’ Tom Cruise suffers a pain in the sarcophagus
By Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune

The idea, I think, with “The Mummy” was to give unfamiliar audiences every kind of modern, effects-heavy horror fantasy in one. Cruise plays Nick, wisecracking American belligerence incarnate, and therefore in 2017 America, at least, an instant turnoff. He’s a U.S. Army soldier with a sideline as a soldier of fortune, ripping off precious artifacts for resale while ripping off Indiana Jones so blatantly that he might as well be called Indiana Smith.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/0...he-sarcophagus

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #40
Pale Horse

Quote:
...while ripping off Indiana Jones so blatantly that he might as well be called Indiana Smith.[/i]

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #41
Moedred
Administrator

The Book of the Dead makes an appearance. This may be Mummy 4 after all.

How it fares alongside recent Universal monster offerings:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolfman.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dracula.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mummy2016.htm