Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #76
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

To be sixteen again...
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #77
emtiem
IndyFan

I was thinking of the jungle cutter again yesterday and thought a fun way to have used it might have been like this:
Indy's RPG blows up a truck near the cutter: a bit of wreckage from which kills the driver of the cutter. The cutter then goes out of control (shades of LC tank, admittedly!) and veers right into the jungle and disappears. The chase pretty much goes as in the film except that you could have, say, Indy's duck chasing Spalko's jeep with her possessing the skull, when suddenly the cutter appears from the right directly in front of Spalko. She hits the brakes so as to not be torn up by the driverless machine as it passes in front of her but Indy overtakes her, spins his duck around the front of her jeep, grabbing the skull as he goes, and then tears off down the new path the cutter has made. She could then head back down the path she's already driven down, knowing that the paths should meet again.
So all through the chase, as well as the occupants all switching vehicles and the skull hopping between all of them you could have an out of control cutter occasionally appearing and getting both parties into trouble. Plus it would mean that they could essentially be driving down paths not knowing where they go or what they link up with.

Then, instead of Mutt getting caught in the vines and being left behind: it's Indy. He's left dangling 20ft in the air as the vines snap him upwards, but he turns and sees the cutter heading straight for him! He pulls out a penknife and starts sawing through the vines as quickly as possible, and at the last minute he swings free out of the way of the blades! The return of the swing then lands him on the deck of the cutter: he moves up to the cabin and gives himself one of those Indy-can't-believe-his-own-luck half smiles! Cut to the cliff face where Marion, Mutt et al are being pushed to the edge by Spalko's jeep, when suddenly Indy comes tearing through the treeline in the cutter! He grinds up Spalko's jeep which jams the blades (after making raspberry jam of a couple of commies of course!): the Russians advance on Indy and a fight breaks out on the moving cutter with Mutt hopping aboard to give support- Marion's duck escapes.
Eventually the cutter runs down a steep slope and gets caught in some trees: the crash sending Indy, Mutt and the Russians flying and the mangled jeep into the ants nest. Dovchenko and Indy battle it out, their fight having to hop between various bit of high ground to avoid the ants, when finally the only bit of ground left available to them is under the spinning blades of the cutter, still caught on the slope in the trees by its back wheels! They swing it out some more as the cutter's weight brings it slowly down towards them- they try and force each other's faces into the blades etc. But then Indy is knocked down; he's lying on a log and Dovenchenko is holding him there as the blades are directly above him. Indy manages to kick free and rolls along the log just in time: the log is torn up by the cutter and the half Indy is lying on gets caught on the blade: pulled up around the blade into the air. Indy hangs from the log and lands a kick to Dovenchenko's face just before he is thrown into the air with the log by the force of the spinning blade! Dovenchenko is sent flying back into the other blade: his hand is torn off and he staggers, screaming, into the ants. They then envelope him and drag him away. Indy lands with a thump out of the way of the ants. He sees them swarming towards him however and looks around frantically for a way escape to no avail: just then Ox appears and unveils the skull; using its powers to divert them. They turn around and see the cutter getting covered in ants and dragged down underneath the ground into their nest.

What do you reckon?
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #78
Dark Horse
IndyFan

I really think more Jungle cutter scenes were omitted due to the gorey implications. There just seems like too much effort was originally put into the vehicle for it to be destroyed so quickly in the film. If you look at the toy (or detail pics) There are extra roller crushers on the top at the front (very similar to the rock crusher in ToD). I'm pretty sure their inclusion was not just coincidence (Ed Natividad who designed it has a major in transportation design and illustration), and that someone (Dovchenko) was supposed to die a-la Pat Roach in ToD. In the DK ultimate Indy book, it also notes the JC had heightened smoke stacks, leading folks to believe it was supposed to have some sort of aqautic ability.

More JC scenes would have been awesome, IMO. I can't see all those Russians getting thrown in there and body parts and blood flying everywhere like the wiki article says, but one or two well shot fatalities would have been good. Seeing someone get run over under the JC treads would have been quite good as well.

Anyway, I'm still pleased we got a Jungle Cutter toy. It's a perfect rendition, and they got a lot of toy into the box for the money.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #79
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Wow, that was a good long read!
I must say I would have to agree with Insomniac and konisking people have been beating on KoTCS for way to long, I mean these people take the time to construct a film of this grandture, for the fans may I add, for what to have it shredded up by blood thirsty fanboys, like you could do any better!

Anyway I thought that 'alternitive' scene was awsome, though I like the final cut as well it could have had more Jungle cutter action.

I would have had it go a bit like this:
Indy climbs into the back and finds the RPG and fires it at the Cutter, but unlike the Raiders style 'quick fix' with the swords man, Indy misses in true Temple of Doom fashion (unable to shoot the Thuggee he must engage him in a duel). Indy and the gang climb into the next duck and speed off after the cutter. Indy climbs aboard and knocks the driver to the floor. Meanwhile Dovchenko awakens and head after Indy. Marion and Mutt come up alongside Irina, who also happens to have Mac and Ox in the same jeep. Mutt, having picked up a sword lunges at Irina and engages her in a duel. Mutt continues to duel until he gains a chance to steal the skull, he does so with gusto. Marion attempts to veer off but is tailed by Irina. Back on the Jungle cutter Indy fends off the driver as he turns for Irina. The driver begins to chock Indy; he gets up and flicks his head back hitting the driver. Indy trows him forwards towards the blades. The driver maintains balance. Indy raises his fist again to strike again when a stray branch hits the drive sending him into the window and then back over the edge into the blades. The blood sprays up onto the windshield. Indy knocks out the window and continues to follow Irina. Back with Mutt, he continues to duel Irina when Indy comes up behind them. This distracts Irina Mutt pushes her onto their duck. Marion jumps cars, punches the driver out and takes control. Irina is left to control her own duck. One of Dovchenko's men climbs aboard the cutter and clambers for control. Indy engages him in a small fist fight. After this 'fight' Indy elbows the soldier to the floor and gets to the controls. There he turns off the blades and turns for the biggest tree he can see. With that Indy makes a leap over to Marion's jeep and we cut to the helpless Russian screaming as he hits the tree and explodes. Indy the grabs Mac and threatens to push him off, then we get the CIA stuff. Then we cut to the final part of the chase on the cliffs edge and into the Ants sequence as such!
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #80
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

On a side note from the Cutter for a second, am I the only one to notice that Mac waits for the soldier to pass the skull to Irina then punches him? This is either a cut in scene and just a little blooper like all movies have or a clever set up for Mac's final betral!
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #81
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I don't suppose anyone's heard anything more recently about whether there were originally grander plans for the jungle cutter? I thought that maybe SOMEONE would have asked a question about it in Q&As, or seen some kind of evidence since 2009...

As people pointed out, its inclusion and then rapid exit does seem strange in the film.
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #82
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

By all accounts it was filmed as scripted. Unless there's an earlier Koepp draft where it was actually given justice, I'm afraid we're forced to conclude that these high profile storytellers sincerely didn't think there was anything better to do with that awesome vehicle but blow it up.

Even where the script failed to capitalize on it, though, I'm surprised Spielberg didn't. There are a number of examples throughout the series where the director effectively invented/expounded set pieces during filming, like the German wing fight in Raiders. I think it's inescapable that the older movies were made by younger, hungrier film makers with more ingenuity than budget.

And just to lay on the heartbreak: while the glossy-looking jungle chase may lead you to believe that the jungle cutter was largely a CGI creation, it was not! They ponied up for a real, physical, functional vehicle with whirring blades! And did basically nothing with it! 2008 Spielberg would never be able to justify that to 1981 Spielberg.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #83
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Thanks for that, Udvarnoky!

It's surprising that the cutter existed in a physical form, since it certainly didn't appear that way in the film. Then again, the jungle chase looked distinctly greenscreen-ish, even though, as I understand it, most of it was on location/on a proper set.

It still seems strange, however - maybe it's a result of the seams showing in in the patchwork of script drafts, especially considering that I felt Koepp's screenplay seemed rushed in comparison to Darabont's. The fact that the jungle cutter DRAWS ATTENTION to the mysterious and unbelievable 'jungle roads' that the vehicles use is the weirdest of all.
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #84
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread,
Don't be sorry, Toht's Arm. Resurrecting previous threads is a good thing.

Yes, the jungle cutter was underused but I agree with Attila that its on-screen brevity was a nice, tantalizing touch! It would've been cool to see more of the Jungle Cutter but the fact that it WAS NOT exploited makes it a more mysterious machine...(pushing it into a realm BEYOND the Flying Wing from "Raiders"). In my opinion, this was a fine & commendable way to treat such a device.

On the other hand, how I wish "Crystal Skull" had a fight involving the Jungle Cutter! Dovchenko could've had his head squished between the blades!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #85
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
It would've been cool to see more of the Jungle Cutter but the fact that it WAS NOT exploited makes it a more mysterious machine...(pushing it into a realm BEYOND the Flying Wing from "Raiders"). In my opinion, this was a fine & commendable way to treat such a device.

It brings to mind the concept of the "Giant Tank" in Chris Columbus' Indiana Jones and the Monkey King script:

Quote:
A GIANT TANK

SHOOTS out of the jungle. A METAL MONSTROSITY. ONE of a kind. The tank is over TEN TIMES the size of a normal tank. Nearly 100 FEET LONG. Over 25 FEET HIGH. It is equipped with THREE LEVELS. On the TOP LEVEL, is the tank's swivelling GUN BARREL. ENORMOUS. The size of a CANNON. Two giant, BLAZING RED SWASTIKAS adorn both sides of the tank's SECOND LEVEL.

Thankfully even KOTCS didn't take the concept that far from reality.

Quote:
On the other hand, how I wish "Crystal Skull" had a fight involving the Jungle Cutter! Dovchenko could've had his head squished between the blades!

A rewrite could have omitted the awkward snake/sandpit scene, and transferred the pit into the path of the Jungle Cutter...with Dovchenko becoming trapped in it.

A little like that scene in Caligula!

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #86
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Don't be sorry, Toht's Arm. Resurrecting previous threads is a good thing.
Unless they come back horribly wrong, that is.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #87
Spurlock
IndyFan

That's a true shame they didn't use it well, it could've been an action sequence to rival the truck chase or bridge scene, with so many different, dangerous parts coming together to form that, it's a horror not to have been used in the slightest.
Spurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #88
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock
That's a true shame they didn't use it well, it could've been an action sequence to rival the truck chase or bridge scene.

I love the jungle chase - but I think they so should have used the jungle cutter!

Oh well, too late now. Still a great action sequence.
Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #89
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jonesy
I love the jungle chase - but I think they so should have used the jungle cutter!

Even though it's not in keeping with screen accuracy, I thought Hasbro did an awesome job with making the Jungle Cutter able to launch it's cow pusher, and also making the blades able to spin, without needing to wind anything, or use batteries. When my Niece, and Nephew, still lived in town, I would have them over, and let them play with my opened Hasbro Indy collection. And they love it all! Especially the Jungle Cutter! My nephew, never seemed to tire of launching the cow pusher at figures, and Akator Temples Door! Now if I only Hasbro would make the Duck, and the Roadster from Raiders. Meanwhile, I may have to try to get some more Indy toys to give to my nephew, who has a lot of everything else.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #90
Spurlock
IndyFan

Quote:

The really sad part about that scene is that it looks mega CGI, even though it's not. Just the lighting of the whole thing is off for some reason. Takes me out of the whole experience. As well as the fake plants hitting Mutt in the crotch.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #91
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Quote:

I absolutely love this action sequence too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock
The really sad part about that scene is that it looks mega CGI, even though it's not. Just the lighting of the whole thing is off for some reason. Takes me out of the whole experience. As well as the fake plants hitting Mutt in the crotch.

It's true, that we can still recognize when something has been artificially lit. Still, I don't mind the color gels, or sheen they gave this sequence. It seems to befit the pulp serials these sequences pay homage to. I also love this sequence because we finally get to see some extended play of Indy in the jungle! A setting that we can almost imagine Dr. Jones spending a good deal of his adventures in, yet till now, we only got to see him there briefly, in the Beginning of ROTLA, and on the road to Pankot in TOD.
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #92
Spurlock
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monarch
It's true, that we can still recognize when something has been artificially lit. Still, I don't mind the color gels, or sheen they gave this sequence. It seems to befit the pulp serials these sequences pay homage to. I also love this sequence because we finally get to see some extended play of Indy in the jungle! A setting that we can almost imagine Dr. Jones spending a good deal of his adventures in, yet till now, we only got to see him there briefly, in the Beginning of ROTLA, and on the road to Pankot in TOD.

Sort of, another thing I don't like if how there are like perfectly cut roads. Now you can saw that was the Jungle cutter, but they had blown it up before they got that far. The type of Jungle I want to see Indy in is the lush, vibrant, thick jungle, not sparse and hollow. While it may have been in the jungle, it sure didn't seem like it.

I can see SO many action/horror opportunities with that Jungle Cutter each time I look at it (I write my own action adventure series), and it's ripe with possibilities. Like someone sliding between the cutting and the plow part, being in sheer terror as it nearly cuts their abdomen open. GAWD DAMMIT SPEILBERG.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #93
emtiem
IndyFan

It's fun to see this thread again after so many years!
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #94
Moedred
Administrator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-motorway.html
Quote:
A pickup truck loaded with equipment in the opposite lane lost control and mounted the central verge, causing three or four poorly fastened blades to fly off the back. Moments later the giant blade emerged from the bushes.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote