How Will it End?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy_Jr said:
Hi.

You know after i think about it i think youre right.
i dont want to see him retire.......... but,there is not much stuff to do with arceology after WWII.
I dont want him to die for sure!!!
i would hate that.
And whats this about a eye pach?
I want it to end with a big bang.
I want it to be cool and have a good story thats all.

In the Young Indiana Jones TV show, there was an old Indy that narrated the stories. He had an eyepatch.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ok, here are some of the ideas that have shown up:

-No Indy IV
-Indy dies doing any old thing (whipping across a gap)
-Indy dies saving the world
-Indy dies trying to save himself
-Indy saves the world w/o death
-Indy goes up in a blaze of glory (nuclear explosion or something)
-Indy dies saving his friends
-Indy retires
-Indy takes a new profession (no more adventures)
-the world has changed, Indy sees he doesn't fit in anymore (like how some Westerns ended - the frontier's been tamed, pardner)
-Indy whips the camera
-Indy walks off into sunset
-Indy rides off into sunset by himself
-Indy with the rest of the cast riding into sunset (like LC)
-Indy gets married to Marion, Willie, or Sophia
-Indy gets married to an old flame, introduced just for the film
-Indy gets married to a new character just for the film
-Pass down the hat & the whip
-Some other character could die (Marcus, Henry, or Sallah)
-Losing an eye (to account for the eyepatch)
-Indy continues to have adventures
-Indy dies and comes back to life (fulfilling the hero requirement of going to the underworld and returning)
-Redemption
-Indy becomes like Marcus, maybe taking his job as curator of the museum ("5 years ago I would have gone after it myself")
-"to be continued"
-more sequels with HF
-a series with other actors
-Randy_Flagg's idea with Indy shooting up the neighborhood, upset over the violence, having shot Marion, Willie, and Short Round, Marcus talks to him, Indy slumps to the floor and cries, and the police apprehend the crazed former adventurer (which, even though it was a joke, actually has a strange appeal to me)
-Or, in other words, Indy goes crazy
-Indy goes crazy and must pay for it
-Make it a prequel
-Make a 2-part film
-Sappy, happy ending (won't work)
-Indy/museum gets to keep the artifact
-Indy has a kid
-Indy gets rid of the fedora and somebody finds it years later
-Something after the credits
-Open ended - Indy may have died, may not have, the viewer makes their own decision
-Indy goes off on another adventure
-Indy decides to be a "normal" archaeologist going on digs minus the adventure
-Indy resigns to teaching archaeology
-Indy becomes dean of Barnett
-Indy heads the archaeology department at Barnett
-Indy does some T.E. Lawrence thing and gives up his persona, and joins the army or something
-Indy fails to recover an artifact and the museum director shoots him
-Indy considers retiring but then decides to keep on adventuring (yeah, yeah, I know its not a word)
-Indy sees good & evil aren't black & white anymore, and retires from public life (remember the guy in the one "find a weapon" house in Desktop Adventures, who was an old friend of Henry - something like that)
-Indy goes into business - "Indy's Cafe Americaine" (sp.?)
-Indy must pay for being a grave robber
-Indy sells his life story to Hollywood [forgive me, I've been working on this post so long I think I'll sell it to Hollywood]
-Shane - Indy is wounded and rides into sunset
-High Noon - Indy sees the world doesn't want/like/appreciate him anyore, so he drops the fedora/whip/whatever and turns and leaves
-Similar to the eyepatch, Indy loses his hand or something
-Indy does the exact same thing as Fedora at the end of the Young Indy sequence (only passing on version I like, actually)
-the new evil doesn't believe in mystical artifacts, so Indy has no place in the world
-he's found everything there is to find, so Indy has no place in the world
-the gear is put away in a box, and Indy buries it, or puts it in his attic, or drops it into the ocean, or burns it, or whatever
-Indy finds immortality, and has infinite adventures
-Indy's soul is corrupted, and is killed
-Indy's soul is corrupted, and becomes a villain (the nudge to make him like Belloq)
-Indy looks at the sunset/night sky, and you see him in silhouette
-Indy starts a new adventure, outside a cave, says "I love this part", and walks into the darkness
-Field of Dreams - Indy walks into a cave, and disappears
-A prequel that ends where ToD begins
-Indy has a heart attack after a big fight scene
-We see old Jones telling his grandchildren stories
-We see old Jones telling anybody stories
-Citizen Kane - ends with an older Jones dying, and than we see what advventure he's last words had to do with

Good God {Yes, that's just what the Hebrews thought}, that was a long list - took about an hour to go through the Indy IV ending threads - and no one else was at the Raven...

So anyway, I personally feel (to make a generalization out of the 68 or so options on the list) there are only 2 things that can happen - Indy retires, or Indy dies - that I would be happy with - it should have finality, it should have closure, it should fit the hero/legend mold, which leads me to my next post in this thread...

[Edited by Attila the Professor on 11-07-2002 at 08:08 pm]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
After you've gone through my previous post, here's something else: let's take a look at some other classic heroes, and see how their story ends. I'll start it off.

Sherlock Holmes (similar to Indy, with many different adventures) - retires to the solitude of the south coast of England,to study philosophy

Heracles (similar to Indy, not immortal, but completes important quests) - dies from a poisoned robe

Don Quixote (similar to Indy, a scholar disguised as a knight - this bears examination, if somebody knows anything about Quixote [I don't, I'm taking this one from an encyclopedia], they should start a thread) - returns home and sadly wakens from his magnificent aberrations

I'm sure, that among others, we should take a look at King Arthur, some other Arthurian knights, Beowulf, some Tolkein, Odysseus, Gilgamesh, some Western heroes, and whatever else we think of.

If the mods think this should be a new thread instead of a post, that's fine by me.

bob

Attila the Professor said:
After you've gone through my previous post, here's something else: let's take a look at some other classic heroes, and see how their story ends. I'll start it off.

Sherlock Holmes (similar to Indy, with many different adventures) - retires to the solitude of the south coast of England,to study philosophy

Heracles (similar to Indy, not immortal, but completes important quests) - dies from a poisoned robe

Don Quixote (similar to Indy, a scholar disguised as a knight - this bears examination, if somebody knows anything about Quixote [I don't, I'm taking this one from an encyclopedia], they should start a thread) - returns home and sadly wakens from his magnificent aberrations

I'm sure, that among others, we should take a look at King Arthur, some other Arthurian knights, Beowulf, some Tolkein, Odysseus, Gilgamesh, some Western heroes, and whatever else we think of.

If the mods think this should be a new thread instead of a post, that's fine by me.

Great Post Attila!

I think that Sherlock Holmes is the father of pulp heroes and action heroes. The ultimate Fate of Sherlock Holmes is unknown he does not die he is immortal, however his final adventure was to fight German Spies (in 1914) facing something larger than he ever had before and for the first time giving a patriotic speech (links to Indy). But what Holmes will always be remembered for is his 10 year 'death' he tumbled over the Reichenbek falls with Professor Moriarty the master Criminal of course no bodies were ever found, but I think that something like this wouldnt be a bad way for Indy to go if he was fighting an ultimate evil and the fact that there is no body which means no deathbed scene would mean that it could fit into an action film.

Greek Mythology: I would like to bring in Uylsess rather than Herclues he dies when he is elderly from being attacked by a wild boar after all his adventuring days - old Indy killed by muggers then?

Kind Arthur is mortally wounded with a battle with his brother (hint hint) Mordread he kills Mordread and saves England but he is mortally wounded. He instructs one of the few surviving Knights to throw Excalibar into the lake it is taken back by the Lady of the Lake, and King Arthur is taken by Druids to the Isle of Avalon where he will return to be the once and future King. In reference to Indy however this is highly fanciful but at a more allegorical level this could occur.

Tolkiens Heros are very difficult to kill, so i dont think that is too relevant....

The fact is that Indy if he does die (which is what has kept the thread going) must give his life for something that is worth it, only the Grail out of all the artifacts has been worth it.
I think he will more figuratively die....I.e give up his life as Indiana Jones because he is no longer Indiana Jones not really he has changed and most importantly the world has changed there is no longer a place for black and white morality for adventurers.
There must be closure.

FordFan

You know, I think I have a good ending, but it requires Karen Allen (who I personally think will be in it).

Indy and Marion do the scene almost exactly like at the end of Raiders, where she says, "C'mon. I'll buy you a drink." and then she lifts his hat. Then he holds out his arm and she puts her arm through and they walk off.

Except in Indy 4, Jones could say something like "It's on me." before holding out his arm.

Or, if the artifact is a very small jewel, Indy could propose to Marion. Then, when the government asks where the artifact is, Jones could say "Y'know...I just don't know." And then it ends up being the wedding ring. That way, he keeps the girl for good, and he FINALLY gets to keep an artifact for himself.

Just my two cents, I don't know if those are good ideas or not. But I do like that final scene at the end of Raiders between Marion and Indy. It's very subtle and one of my favorite parts.

bob

I think that to complete the Indy saga it needs stronger medicine than that, besides i dont really want to see Indy live happily ever after, he is too real for it to be believable for him to live happily ever after and for us actually to believe that. Just my opinion though.....

Whipper

Oh, this one's easy. It ends...on a CLIFFHANGER! Just to leave you with the feeling that it Never Ends...Indy's whole life is a continuing adventure. Just when it looks like Indy might be ready to settle down to domesticated days and a stodgy professorial lifestyle--Before he can get bored and mopey, he gets swept up into something else, and the movie ends with his smiling face in the midst of chaos and thrilling peril.

"What the IRS fails to understand is how you can continue to accumulate the same level of expenses as you did when you were in your prime!" --Accountant to Old Indy, 1992

We may or may never see him on film again, but we can leave him knowing that he'll always be adventuring onwards, rest assured that he'll be out there living every day of his lifetime to the fullest and loving it. As should we all. No one needs to die, no one needs to retire, because the Indy book doesn't Need closing. To to know that there really Is no end is all the closure I need to see.

Hm, each of the prior films began at the end of a prior adventure, so this would be a reversal, ending the film with 5-10 minutes of Indy in the middle of a New adventure. Then they leave off with a cliffhanger moment, giving one more nod to the classic tradition of the serials that inspired the creation of Indy in the first place. We don't know how he'll get out of that tight spot, but we leave him there knowing he will. I say send the audience out of the theater with Adrenaline pumping.

FordFan

The last shot of the movie has to have longetivity. The original trilogy ended with a final shot that stayed on screen a while with the credits, and then it faded to black.

-The ark in the warehouse.
-Indy, Willie, a clapping Short Round (ahahaha) and the village kids.
-Indy riding off into the sunset.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
We've waited 16 years for Indy IV, it can't just be another adventure. It's in the 1950's, Indy doesn't belong in the 50's. He has no place in the Cold War. The Soviets don't care about religious artifacts, they care about the power of the atom, as do the Americans. I don't think Indy could keep doing what he's doing - look what he does in 1950 - he's involved with an Native American peace pipe - not exactly Atlantis or either of the Arks or the Grail, or even the Sankara Stones. What's left? We can't have it be a happy ending, it doesn't seem realistic that Indy would want to settle down with Marion, Sherlock Holmes never marries, and I believe the great detective is probably the closest character to Indy, in that he has so many adventures, but eventually its through, he's done his job, and its time to retire and look back at the hundreds of adventures he's had. We need closure. We need a reason for Indy IV, not a reunion, not just another adventure, not a cliffhanger, not a wedding - if anything a funeral, but Indy shouldn't die, he should retire.

bob

Couldnt have put it better myself!

Indys character becomes a relic by 1939 (WWII), 1941 (Pearl Harbour),1945 (end of Nazis Hiroshima), 1949 (Soviet A-Bomb) and finally 1953 (death of Stalin) the end for Indy is 1962 for two reasons James Bond and Cuba Missile crisis but that is the apsolute final date that Indy can remain without becoming completely absurd. GL made an attempt to bring him into 50's pop culture with the despised Saucermen script. But the fact remains that Indy will remain a character of the 30's. Unless Indy goes after an artifact like Eden that it brings an apocylpse near is the only thing that could give Indy IV stature, but none of the Indy films have really been about saving the world, it just wasnt mentioned really.

Indy must finish with probably him not dying but Henry should be dead, not in battle but come on the guy was in his late 60's in 38 he would be 80 by 1950 that is at least according to the timeline but i would be tempted to put his age 10 years younger as who has heard of a 68 year old still teaching! Also Sallahs world has changed and he is getting older, Marcus is dead. Indy IV should be the finale to his life and i think the final scene should be Indy putting the Fedora away in a box along with the whip and the gun and just walking off into the Sunset.

FordFan

I don't. Why make the film remorseful like that? I don't want to see an Indiana Jones with a darker edge, with him being down with the mopies because he's older and down-trodden that there are no more great adventures.

Just amp it up to what it was: pure escapism. Make it a fun movie because the fun factor was what was great about the original three. Don't make it mindless and 2-dimensional like it's "just another Bond movie". You can give it a new layer, but don't extract from the fun by making it serious.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
FordFan said:
I don't. Why make the film remorseful like that? I don't want to see an Indiana Jones with a darker edge, with him being down with the mopies because he's older and down-trodden that there are no more great adventures.

Just amp it up to what it was: pure escapism. Make it a fun movie because the fun factor was what was great about the original three. Don't make it mindless and 2-dimensional like it's "just another Bond movie". You can give it a new layer, but don't extract from the fun by making it serious.

Indy already has a bit of a dark edge, not only in Raiders, but in ToD and LC as well - blowing up ships, selling artifacts to gangsters, killing more men in bars than any archaeologist has a right to - remember what Belloq said? Remember the scene from the Sword of Arthur in the liferaft (only thing the script got right actually, except for the confession about what's her name at the end of the scene), with everyone being dead - Short Round probably dead in a bombing; Marion left, and he doesn't know what happened to her; some sultan tortured Sallah's son to death and Sallah refuses to speak to Indy; and Marcus drank a poisoned glass meant for Indy. Can you imagine how Henry felt, with his son being the reason for his best friend's death? Can you imagine how it reopened the rift between father and son? Can you feel the guilt coursing through Indy's veins - all the death, because of him? He doesn't see how great his life was - he's lived through the trenches, the Congo, seen his friends die, endured every major desert, jungle, and mountain range - all these people - his contemporaries - his friends and his enemies - are dead. There's no more Belloq, there's no more Jack Shannon - Henry is on the brink of death - everyone else...

He has a dark side, that's what makes him interesting. Don't you think he would be "down with the mopies because he's older and down-trodden that there are no more great adventures"? Sure he would!

You're entitled to your opinion, but we can't just expect another adventure.

FordFan

Yeah, but if the new movie went along with that plotline, it would turn into Othello. I don't mind it being a little bit darker than the other films, but seriously, that's just too dark for my taste.

bob

I dont think darkness is something that we will see in Indy IV but there needs to be some sort of soul searching as Indy sees what the world has become. But this shouldnt really effect the adventuring the plot lines that i have talked about would only take 5 minutes!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
bob said:
I dont think darkness is something that we will see in Indy IV but there needs to be some sort of soul searching as Indy sees what the world has become. But this shouldnt really effect the adventuring the plot lines that i have talked about would only take 5 minutes!

Also my feeling on the matter. Soul searching and revelations are more appropriate terms, not darkness, but it would be interesting to see a somewhat darker side of Indy, even if that's not exactly what I'm looking for (Indy being nudged/becoming like Belloq).

FordFan

Well Indy rethinking his life and soul searching would be cool, but for the last movie in the series, it can't be so dark that they have to apologize for it and make another one.

bob

MY GOD I THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN SOME ACTUAL NEWS THAT MIGHT HAVE SOME BEARING ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!

They dont have a third act as such, doesnt this mean that it isnt going to be just another Indy movie ending and to some extent unpredictable. To not have a third act (i.e in Raiders from Egypt onwards, in LC Grail Temple onwards, ToD escape bit) means that it cannot be simply another predictable ending to an action movie, or it may not but still it is tantilising......:)