E3 June 2009: Far Better Than Last Years

What do you look forward to at this years E3?

• Total voters

No Ticket

Lonsome_Drifter said:
No Ticket:
Yes, I remember the days of the N64. The first-party titles by Nintendo (like always) were superb, but most of the third-party games were turds. Now there were great third-party publishers and developers such as Rare, Acclaim, and some others.
I also think the N64 had alot more games that were good that were not made by Nintendo such as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 1 and 2, Shadowman, Mischief Makers, etc.

The N64 was the last <b>GREAT</b> Nintendo console in my opinion. They garnered a rep as a kiddy system the most during the Gamecube era and some gamers migrated to the Xbox or PS2, and thus most of the third-party devs made games for those consoles. Also the lack of RPGS hurt the gamecube a great deal.

Now we have the Wii. Nintendo are still making AAA games like always. But, all the other publishers are churning out shovelware. Shovelware and mini-games are huge for the casual gamer. But, those like us who want more meat and game for our buck are turned off. But, the casual gamers are the ones who have brought the Wii to the top of the mountain this generation, and thus I see no change in the near future.

Well, part of the problem I think is...

1.) Third-party developers really have no idea how to utilize the controls of the Wii as creatively as Nintendo (who created it) does.

2.) They keep making those games because unfortunately... they're selling well.

3.) Nintendo is beginning to think these casual games are what people WANT.

.... I think the system is pretty awesome, if not a little underpowered for this generation. It just needs more creativity behind more solid products. Where's the people out there dreaming up crazy stuff like Turok. First person shooters on the Wii could be awesome, lots of untapped potential.

Somebody's gotta do it.

Morning Bell

No Ticket said:
Well, part of the problem I think is...

1.) Third-party developers really have no idea how to utilize the controls of the Wii as creatively as Nintendo (who created it) does.

2.) They keep making those games because unfortunately... they're selling well.

3.) Nintendo is beginning to think these casual games are what people WANT.

.... I think the system is pretty awesome, if not a little underpowered for this generation. It just needs more creativity behind more solid products. Where's the people out there dreaming up crazy stuff like Turok. First person shooters on the Wii could be awesome, lots of untapped potential.

Somebody's gotta do it.

This is a good summation of where Nintendo is. I have no problem with them catering to a casual audience; in fact, I think it's great that they're bringing so many different types of people into the video game realm. However, I think they've spent so much time reaching this audience that much of their original and core audience is getting bored and fed-up in the process. If they could just find a good balance between the two groups they'd really be soaring.

RedeemedChild

Morning Bell said:
This is a good summation of where Nintendo is. I have no problem with them catering to a casual audience; in fact, I think it's great that they're bringing so many different types of people into the video game realm. However, I think they've spent so much time reaching this audience that much of their original and core audience is getting bored and fed-up in the process. If they could just find a good balance between the two groups they'd really be soaring.

I also am pleased with Nintendo's embracing of the casual gamer. Studies and news reports continue to point out that it is the casual gamer who has driven the Wii and DS to such high sales.

In fact I know quite a good number of people who use their Wii's and DS's far more than their XBOX's or PS2's. I for one am a big supporter of Nintendo's Wii and DS and at the same time I also enjoy the iPod Touch and to some extent the PSP.

But never fear, I have been reading a lot of info on the upcoming E3. And it seems from what I've read that their will be a new Mario and Zelda title for Wii that will be revealed. However Nintendo has made it clear that they will also focus on the DSi at this years E3.

BTW here is another sign that the new PSP just might not have the UMD.
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/sony-pondering-umd-less-future-/1306392

Last edited:

RedeemedChild

Well it looks like yet another good title will be revealed at this years E3 and I this one is for you Agent Crab as I believe you will like it.

saga2_shonen.jpg

The name of the upcoming title is Final Fantasy Legend II and I've gotten say that this looks good. It's a remake of a classic known as SaGa2. Anyway I know that you like RPG AgentCrab and as I'm a big RPG fan myself I just wanted to share these images with you and all the other Raven guys.

60072_55_122_600lo.jpg

Hopefully Final Fantasy Legend II will contain online multiplayer game play and voice chat.

Lets hope and do we can to ensure that Square-Enix will release this game here in the U.S. and the rest of the Western world at the same time it is released in Japan so we don't have to wait a whole year to buy Final Fantasy Legend II the way we had to wait when Final Fantasy III got a remake a few years back.

Wow i did not realize that was FF it look pretty good. Just when is it coming out is what I'm wondering.

I would love to buy Wii Sports: Resort, EA: Grand Slam Tennis, EA: MySim's Racing i plan on buying does 3 games. There Really good games.

Lonsome_Drifter i really think you should buy a Wii.

RedeemedChild

Finn what kind of video games do you enjoy? Do you like sports, action/adventure, strategy or RPG's like Final Fantasy Legends II?

RedeemedChild said:
Finn what kind of video games do you enjoy? Do you like sports, action/adventure, strategy or RPG's like Final Fantasy Legends II?

I don't like FF that much its. What do you think Finn, do people in Finland like FF? i would love to know.

RedeemedChild

IndyWolf15 said:
I don't like FF that much its. What do you think Finn, do people in Finland like FF? i would love to know.

Tiffany I was not asking about Finland the country. I was just was asking what games in general does Finn like.

RedeemedChild said:
Tiffany I was not asking about Finland the country. I was just was asking what games in general does Finn like.
WHAT DO HECK DID I ASKED YOU SOMETHING? KNOW I DID NOT I ASK FINN!

Agent Crab

Indywolf, can you and your brother keep your squables through PMS or real life, please?

I do like Final Fantasy, but most are becoming really luke warm in my opinion.

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:
Indywolf, can you and your brother keep your squables through PMS or real life, please?

I do like Final Fantasy, but most are becoming really luke warm in my opinion.

Lukewarm? How? I like FF the way it is. Explain please what you mean by lukewarm please.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
Lukewarm? How? I like FF the way it is. Explain please what you mean by lukewarm please.

I liked the SNES ones, such as FF4, and 6. Or II and III here. I didn't mind Final Fantasy Tatics on the PS1 or it's Remake on the PSP. FF7, 8 and 9 weren't bad.

I didn't like X. FFX felt rather lacking in alot of things. There was no freedom of moving on the field like in the other games. The characters felt really boring and vapid.

I did like the remake of FF4 on the DS.

But Square did a grand job on their SNES games such as Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG. Even some of their PS1 titles like Brave Fencer Musashi and Xenogears deserve a mention.

Finn

Staff member
Right, kids. Keep your squabbles IRL. IndyWolf, if you can't keep yourself from throwing tantrums all the time, I'm afraid somebody'll soon have to remove you from this board.

As far as my gaming preferences go, this and that. Old and new. Action, adventure, strategy, RPG... I'm willing to give anything a shot.

What comes to Final Fantasy in particular, unfortunately I've found that and other representatives of its genre not quite my cup of tea. The amount of soap those Japs stuff into their games is not appealing to me.

And I dunno if people in Finland are liking the FF games any more than people, say, in New Jersey for example. Guess we have some that do and some that don't.

Finn said:
Right, kids. Keep your squabbles IRL. IndyWolf, if you can't keep yourself from throwing tantrums all the time, I'm afraid somebody'll soon have to remove you from this board.

As far as my gaming preferences go, this and that. Old and new. Action, adventure, strategy, RPG... I'm willing to give anything a shot. I've found FF however not quite my cup of tea. The amount of soap those Japs stuff into their games is not appealing to me.

And I dunno if people in Finland are liking the Final Fantasy games any more than people, say, in New Jersey for example. Guess we have some that do and some that don't.

YAY Finn's on, I agree with Finn I'm not a fan of FF, now my Friend Brianna loves FF III she has it for the DS.

Agent Crab

Finn said:
As far as my gaming preferences go, this and that. Old and new. Action, adventure, strategy, RPG... I'm willing to give anything a shot.

What comes to Final Fantasy in particular, unfortunately I've found that and other representatives of its genre not quite my cup of tea. The amount of soap those Japs stuff into their games is not appealing to me.

And I dunno if people in Finland are liking the FF games any more than people, say, in New Jersey for example. Guess we have some that do and some that don't.

I have a Finnish Friend who somewhat likes the FF games.

Grant it, the FF games after 7 have gotten to become generic Teen soap opera. Considering most of the heros are teenaged pretty boys with hair that defies all laws of gravity. FF7 and 8 were more Sci-Fi and FF9 went back to what FF was. Kingdoms and Monster slaying.

Though, I am more of a Classic Game fan. Most modren games don't appeal to me anymore.

Stuff like Chrono Trigger didn't suffer from being long and drawn out. The hero was silent, but the game had a well polished story and humour between the characters to flesh them out.

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:
I have a Finnish Friend who somewhat likes the FF games.

Grant it, the FF games after 7 have gotten to become generic Teen soap opera. Considering most of the heros are teenaged pretty boys with hair that defies all laws of gravity. FF7 and 8 were more Sci-Fi and FF9 went back to what FF was. Kingdoms and Monster slaying.

Though, I am more of a Classic Game fan. Most modren games don't appeal to me anymore.

Stuff like Chrono Trigger didn't suffer from being long and drawn out. The hero was silent, but the game had a well polished story and humour between the characters to flesh them out.

Man, that was really funny AgentCrab regarding "defying the laws of gravity".

BTW Finn I've got to say that I appreciate your willingness to try different things. I was simply wondering if you might have a particular favorite or something that you liked more than others.

Here is some info that I found regarding Final Fantasy Legend II on the site gonintendo.com.

Final Fantasy Legend II - more details including Japanese release period
- due out this Fall in Japan
- the story focuses on a young man that is trying to find his long-lost father, only to discover that his Dad is actually a crystal guardian
- wireless mode for 1-4 players

saga2.jpg

thumb_saga3.jpg

I hope you like the screenshots AgentCrab. BTW have you played FF Crisis Core and Final Fantasy III DS Finn?

Finn

Staff member
RedeemedChild said:
BTW Finn I've got to say that I appreciate your willingness to try different things. I was simply wondering if you might have a particular favorite or something that you liked more than others.
Anything with an appealing story and solid gameplay. I've found that games usually fulfilling those requirements are adventure games and (western) RPGs. Or did you ask for titles?

RedeemedChild said:
BTW have you played FF Crisis Core and Final Fantasy III DS Finn?
Unfortunately not, mostly because my preferred platform is PC. It doesn't mean I abhor consoles, but I've kind of grown attached to keyboard and mouse...

RedeemedChild

You've summed everything up nicely Finn. And yes I was sort of hoping for titles but that's okay.

Anyway perhaps we'll see more of this at the E3 next month. Enter Heroes of Might and Magic: Kingdoms. It's a new FREE TO PLAY browser based MMORPG free of long and slow client downloads.

object>

And furthermore a new Nintendo DS exclusive Might and Magic entry is on the know as Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes!

Enjoy the screenshots.

cutscene_1.jpg

campaign_mode_4.bmp

RedeemedChild

What's happening? Aren't there any Heroes of Might and Magic fans in this board? How about you AgentCrab?

BTW here are new screenshots from a new upcoming installment called Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes

jd_sw_top_screenshot_115714.jpg

4.jpg