An Inconvenient Truth

monkey

Hello All,
First of all, let me apologize in advance if there has been a previous thread concerning this topic. I have been out of touch for a while, and this may have been discussed before.

That said.

GLOBAL WARMING!!!!

I'm worried..............I mean like really worried.......a lot!! This is like some serious sh@#$t!!

I was worried before, but viewing "An Inconvenient Truth" was a real eye opener.

Will the 21st century be the last century for humanity????

We are an over populated planet on the verge of disaster.

HELP!!!!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I keep saying that Australia should stop jerkng around and start signing the Kyoto Protocol but looks like it's not going to happen.

Mind you, us Australians have been educating at least my generation throughout our schooling years about global warming. I spent a whole year of high school being taught about global warming and the environment to such an extreme that they didn't teach us enough about algebra and mathematics. But, I never liked maths anyway.

Finn

Staff member
It's the bloody December 18th and we've FINALLY got some snow. (And not yet enough for it not to melt away only too soon.)

All I have to say in the matter.

Pale Horse

Staff member
The 70's was global freezing, the 80's it was drugs, the 90's AIDS, and now global warming.

What, me worry? :p

Tis a myth my friends, tis a myth.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I?ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost​

westford

Finn said:
It's the bloody December 18th and we've FINALLY got some snow.
You've got snow, and we've still got a hosepipe ban...

2006 is looking like the warmest year in Britain since records began in 1659 (link), but even if we do reduce carbon emissions, etc, what difference will it make if the likes of the US and China don't? Oh well, it's not like I'm going to be around to meet my great-great grandchildren anyway...

IAdventurer01

monkey said:
We are an over populated planet on the verge of disaster.

Support NASA! :D

While it would be foolish to believe that humans have not contributed, I do believe it only compounds with natural climate shifts on Earth. Scientists know these climate changes happen naturally, but we don't really have accurate information much to do with the short time we've thoroughly recorded climate conditions.

Do your part: Recycle, avoid polluting when possible, and support space exploration. Then don't worry, just ride the wave and see what happens.

monkey

IAdventurer01 said:
Support NASA! :D

Do your part: Recycle, avoid polluting when possible, and support space exploration. Then don't worry, just ride the wave and see what happens.

Couldn't agree more. And I personally am very excited about the possible discovery of water on Mars.

monkey

Haliburton Mars mission

Private sector?????

What's the incentive for the private sector????

($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of course)

Do you really want a Space Program driven by the bottom line? I prefer my Space Program driven by Idealism, and a quest for the further advancement of the human race.

...........I know.........that's stupid................sorry.

monkey

..............And if you turn your thermometer upside down...........the earth is really cooling........not warming.

The "Myth" of Global Warming???? Sorry, but scientific instruments don't lie.

...........Can we send Dick Cheney to Mars????

Please??

H_Donovan

Changes in average temperatures are something that the Earth has been experiencing for billions of years. I'm not saying we should all not give a damn and pump all the pollution out tenfold, but some of these people who go on about people melting glaciers and the entire world flooding in 300 years blah blah blah sometimes are not the most well-informed ones. Up until about 150 years ago, we were in a mini ice age, were we not? What were average temperatures like before that ice age began? Maybe we're just re approaching those levels.

monkey

H_Donovan said:
but some of these people who go on about people melting glaciers and the entire world flooding in 300 years blah blah blah sometimes are not the most well-informed ones.

H_D,
I respect your opinions, butI have to ask you..Does "Exponential Changes" mean anything to you?

Look at the 'curves' for

* Earth's Population vs time.

* CO2 in the atmosphere vs time.

* Average temperature of the Earth vs time.

* The very glaciers you mention.........YES .......those glaciers.......YES...they are melting.........there is PHOTOGRAPHIC evidence of same. Wanna look????? There are pics. NO, they are not CGI. Polar bears are drowning........

Satellite photos don't lie.

* Well informed? .........have you seen "Inconvenient Truth"?

Just asking.............

No disrespect intended. But what is it that I, or any other inhabitant of this wonderful, but endangered planet, who is concerned about its future, not informed about????

"Do you really want a Space Program driven by the bottom line?"

Abso-FN-lootly!

And I want to see the whole thing run by two people.... Bill Gates, and Marshall T Savage.

HovitosKing

I just saw Al Gore's lecture "An Inconvenient Truth" on DVD, and it was fantastic. Gore spends most of his time educating, a little of his time politicking, and the result was about 90 minutes of excellence. Nothing earth-shattering (no pun intended) in what he reveals, but the many graphic illustrations and compelling scientific results that he uses make the problem so much easier to identify with. Gore sets the stage for great advancements in this area, if only his message can sink in. Nothing partisan or divisive about this documentary, just an overall great and fascinating (often humorous) course in the environmental science of an impending doomsday.