What was up with LC's sets?

Raiders90

Raiders and ToD all had pretty realistic sets for their eras, respectively. They all looked pretty realistic, gritty and like a real Tomb or Temple, etc. But LC it almost looks low budget in comparison. For example the obviously fake Cobwebs in the Catacombs, for one. Other locations in the movie are easily recognized as sets. The blue screen, especially in the dog fight, is rather horrid.

Raiders and TOD had what seems to have been cutting edge technology for their times and hold up generally. Their sets don't look like sets. Whereas with LC they do at times--what gives?

Raiders90

The Drifter said:
What gives with you starting so many threads and never replying to the user's who post in said thread?

I like to start discussion more than I like partaking in it, to answer your question.

Darth Vile

Raiders112390 said:
Raiders and ToD all had pretty realistic sets for their eras, respectively. They all looked pretty realistic, gritty and like a real Tomb or Temple, etc. But LC it almost looks low budget in comparison. For example the obviously fake Cobwebs in the Catacombs, for one. Other locations in the movie are easily recognized as sets. The blue screen, especially in the dog fight, is rather horrid.

Raiders and TOD had what seems to have been cutting edge technology for their times and hold up generally. Their sets don't look like sets. Whereas with LC they do at times--what gives?

Can't really agree. I think TLC had a bigger budget than Raiders... and IMHO it is fairly evident on screen. Raiders holds up well because it doesn't actually have as many special/visual effects... its budget limitations, in this example, actually benefit the movie because many had to be achieved practically (and thus look a bit more realistic). As far as TLC is concerned, at the time, I think the grail temple set was one of the most elaborate stage builds of the day... and Donovan's demise was pretty state of the art. Perhaps it doesn't seem that way now... but it certainly was at the time.