Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

Little Indy

Numbers are you kidding me. You give us too much credit. The menu has pictures so that you don't even have to speak anymore just point.

xVendetta17x

Violet Indy said:
I'm desperate to get out and you're looking forward to getting in. But hey, don't say I didn't warn you. If you have any questions about Australian life, just ask. There are a lot of Canadians who live here so you won't be lonely. I wished that I had asked more simple questions about the States before I went for a holiday. How was I to know that they order by numbers at McDonald's? :confused:

And DutchIndy, it's "Aussie" not "Ozzie" if you're refering to Australia, and not Ozzie Osbourne. :p
I guess it depends on what end of the Atlantic you're looking at it
And you don't have to order by the numbers it's just more convenient
And we don't have the Cafe's in McDonald's either

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah but every time I ordered by the name of a meal, they couldn't understand what I was saying, no matter how loud I spoke. I guess my accent must be pretty thick.

Dad did point in the end, but they still mistook his order. They thought he wanted the "Bacon & Egg Biscuit" when he was ordering "Bacon & Egg McMuffin." :rolleyes: We don't have biscuits like that in Australia so Dad was deadly confused about the whole thing. I worked out by then it was easier to order by numbers. Down here, everything's by name. We don't have numbers and pictures. In fact, they even forget to update the pictures, sometimes. The other problem was we often got served by Mexicans who didn't speak English too well... or so it seemed. But I digress.

You've heard about the McCafes? A lot of the Macca's down here have those. Oh and there is no filtered coffee in the cafes here like you guys have in the North Atlantic (which sucks coz I like that kind of coffee). All the cafe coffee here is milk-based, so if you're Lactose intolerant you might want to convert to tea.

DutchIndy

Violet Indy said:
I'm desperate to get out and you're looking forward to getting in. But hey, don't say I didn't warn you. If you have any questions about Australian life, just ask. There are a lot of Canadians who live here so you won't be lonely. I wished that I had asked more simple questions about the States before I went for a holiday. How was I to know that they order by numbers at McDonald's? :confused:

And DutchIndy, it's "Aussie" not "Ozzie" if you're refering to Australia, and not Ozzie Osbourne. :p

Well, actually I remember Aussie's writing Aussie as Ozzie. For real. (like: the Oz experience, the bus I, thank god, never took) :D (been there mate, although, of course, I don't live there :) )

Speaking of Maccy D's ... you guys have,like Hunger Busters and stuff right? Freakin huge ass menu's! Or am I confusing OZ with NZ now.. there are some people who like to EAT in NZ... oh boy! :)

xVendetta17x

I used to work at McDonald's and people ordering by the name of the meal is usually the norm
Maybe it's different in the states...
And yeah i've heard of the McCafe's found it on Wikipedia(y)
And no i'm not Lactose intolerant I love milk to a point where I must be part cow or something, so Milk based coffee is perfectly fine by me

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hunger buster? First I've heard of it. Must be NZ. We don't have Supersize or anything similar either. Contrary to popular belief, Aussies are quite health conscious, and there would be outrage if there was anything like Hunger busters or Supersizing going on here. A lot of us work in offices and by the time we get home, the majority really just zaps something up in the microwave. That's where obesity comes in. It's pretty much because of the lack of exercise from being tired.

The other thing is a lot of Australian families insist that you eat everything on your plate, even if it makes you sick. Also whenever you go to a cheap all-you-can-eat, it's encouraged to eat 5 plates. :rolleyes: That again contributes to the obesity thing. My family and I being of European descent don't agree with those philosophies and hence why I'm not morbidly obese.

Wikipedia's wonderful, isn't it? Look up MovieWorld and Fox Studios Australia while you're at it. Those are going to be mentioned a lot when you do film school here. Lucky you love milk. There's a huge push here to make Aussies drink milk all the time.

Stoo

I could go for a double-cheeseburger with bacon right about now...

So, Violet (or anyone else), what is the printing date of your "Genesis Deluge" with the swearing?
Mine is a 1st edition printing (Feb. '92) and it's edited!:confused:

metalinvader

Stoo said:
I could go for a double-cheeseburger with bacon right about now...

So, Violet (or anyone else), what is the printing date of your "Genesis Deluge" with the swearing?
Mine is a 1st edition printing (Feb. '92) and it's edited!:confused:

Mine is dated Feb.'92 also and it is unedited....They must have caught that really early then if it was edited within the same month.

|ZiR|

Indy says shizit in the novelization of Raiders. It's when they're on the Bantu Wind and he comes out on deck to discover that they're surrounded by German Wolf Submarines.

Can't remember if he actually swears there in the film. :confused:

xVendetta17x

|ZiR| said:
Indy says shizit in the novelization of Raiders. It's when they're on the Bantu Wind and he comes out on deck to discover that they're surrounded by German Wolf Submarines.

Can't remember if he actually swears there in the film. :confused:
He does, he says "****" in every movie
I don't know how much i'll be able to eat
Suppose i'll have to test my limits :p
And yeah I already looked those up, they look cool!(y)

Crack that whip

Violet Indy said:
Actually in truth, the reason why some have seen the sentence in the book and others who have read it have not, is because (and I have mentioned this before) the first edition of "Genesis Deluge" had the f word in it. If you have a later print or a re-print, you will not have the f word sentence. It is replaced by Indy getting gagged before he says the word. So if you have bought your copy recently of "Genesis Deluge", you will not have a problem.

Well, huh. I had no idea. One learns something new every day.

(This would be a good point to insert a joke about the extreme end of Lucas(film) revisionism, going all the way out to the licensed publications... ;) ).

Are there any other alterations between different editions of any of the novels? I did know about a tiny handful of changes prior to publication for some of them, since typically (at least when they first came out, when I got mine) one book would have a little "teaser" excerpt from the next book in the series, and there are a handful of little changes here and there between the excerpted passages and the same passages in the final novels, but I didn't know of changes being made to any of the books after their original publication...

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Curious because mine is a 1st edition print (Febraury 1992) and it's the edited version!:confused:

pg. 169
Hasan had already promised to kill him, but Indy had never suspected it would
be by an overdose of drugs. "You no good sadistic...."

"This is for the sultans of old." Hasan stabbed the needle into his forearm.

Really? Hrrm, how interesting.

Is the logo on your cover embossed?

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Well, huh. I had no idea. One learns something new every day.
That is the beauty of The Raven and we have Violet to thank for this particular factoid!
Crack that whip said:
Really? Hrrm, how interesting.

Is the logo on your cover embossed?

Oh, something just occurred to me - could there be regional differences? Perhaps Canada, say, has always had the 'clean' edition?
Exactly what I was thinking. (Which would be odd considering how lenient our censorship can be.
Not as liberal as Europe but...). Anyway, this is puzzling.

My cover is not embossed but inside, it says:
"Printed simulatneously in the United States and Canada"

(P.S. A friendly tip. Someone will most likely advise you not to double post
so I might as well do it now. Just lettin' ya know, my friend!:))

Stoo said:
That is the beauty of The Raven and we have Violet to thank for this particular factoid!
Exactly what I was thinking. (Which would be odd considering how lenient our censorship can be.
Not as liberal as Europe but...). Anyway, this is puzzling.

My cover is not embossed but inside, it says:
"Printed simulatneously in the United States and Canada"

How do you tell if it's a first edition? It doesn't say on the publishing page. Don't the string of numbers at the very bottom signify something? Mine are....

RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3

My copy sounds exactly like your's, Stoo. And it's edited. I live in the US.... what gives?

Crack that whip

Stoo said:

I don't believe I did - I've always taken "double posting" to mean inadvertently posting the same thing twice. ;)

But I did make multiple posts in rapid succession. Mea culpa. But I did so because the first two posts were in response to (and quoting) two different people, and I was simply too lazy to hit Quote, copy the text, go back, hit Quote on the other post, paste in the the quoted text above or below the other quoted text, add my answers to both and hit Submit. ;) Though granted, I've done it before... Anyway, the third post I made because I thought of the regional differences possibility after making the second post. IIRC I'd actually meant to edit it, but must have hit the wrong button.

(Clearly, the one thing I'm not too lazy to do in forum postings is write lots and lots and lots and lots of words about matters of trivial significance; I'm quite adept at that... :eek: )

Crack that whip

Argh. Stoo, I hadn't thought to reply to this until after making my reply above. I hope you'll forgive a wee bit more consecutive posting from me. :eek: ;)

ResidentAlien said:
How do you tell if it's a first edition? It doesn't say on the publishing page. Don't the string of numbers at the very bottom signify something? Mine are....

RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3

My copy sounds exactly like your's, Stoo. And it's edited. I live in the US.... what gives?

Mine has those numbers, but going all the way ("RAD 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"), the Indiana Jones®? logo in the title on the cover is embossed, and on page 168, Indy uses a naughty word, :eek: twice. :eek: :eek: I'm now inclined to think we just have different printings.

|ZiR|

So, Genesis Deluge is the only instance in the adult IJ books where Indy says the F-word, and it's only in the early printings. Okay.

Probably asking too much but... anyone know how rare are unedited edtions, and how could I assure that that's what I'd be getting if I ordered a copy from, say, amazon?

Crack that whip

Well, we don't know that it's only the early printings yet, though that does look very likely now, in my opinion.

If it's the case, I think any copy you order from Amazon is definitely not going to have it - this book's first printing came out years before Amazon even existed - and will instead be whatever the final revision is, unless you're talking about ordering from another seller on Amazon who's specifically offering them as first printings. In that case, it's all about whether you find someone offering them...