Future "Expanded Universe" Novels?

Goonie

Are there any plans for anymore novels that would expand the Indiana Jones universe?

The 12 original Bantam novels took place pretty much between Hollywood Follies and Temple of Doom. Are there any planned between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull since the time gap is so big? how about between the other movies?

Goonie

With all the stuff that was mentioned in KOTCS, for example, Indy's relationship with Mac, there could be a whole bunch of novels written up in the time frame between Last Crusade and KOTCS.(y)

LostArk

More stuff that would be included in new novels:
-Indy investigating the alien body.
-Indy as a double agent in Berlin.
-Indy's relationship with Marion after Raiders and before Crusade.

Also, Mutt's childhood and Spalko backstory.

I'd rather it be comics though...

MolaRam2

I would love for more expanded universe novels to come out. There is so much potential in the Indy universe.

Dust McAlan

Covering some time between Crusade and Kingdom would be nice, however we've already got Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine covering some of it. That's 1939 and 1947, respectively. More would be lovely, but I don't think we need to specifically see the events that lead up to Kingdom (Indy leaving Marion, time in the OSS), just more Indy.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Quite so. It would be preferred to deal with actual new stories. Touching on other events alluded to but not requiring elucidation in the films is fine, but building narratives around them seems less appropriate. Arthur Conan Doyle never wrote a Holmes story about the giant rats.

Michael24

Isn't Rob MacGregor working on a series of new books? I thought I read that somewhere.

EDIT: Yup, found it here. He's got something coming out in early-2009. :)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
He's working on one book which happens to be the tie-in apparently to the new Indy game they keep putting off releasing. At least, that's what I read in a thread somewhere here.

otto rahn

Attila the Professor said:
Quite so. It would be preferred to deal with actual new stories. Touching on other events alluded to but not requiring elucidation in the films is fine, but building narratives around them seems less appropriate. Arthur Conan Doyle never wrote a Holmes story about the giant rats.
But at least one other author did, many years later !;)

Flannery10

Michael24 said:
Isn't Rob MacGregor working on a series of new books? I thought I read that somewhere.

EDIT: Yup, found it here. He's got something coming out in early-2009. :)

I just bought "Seven Veils" and "Genesis Deluge" yesterday. I've read them years ago and want to get myself prepped for seeing the movie next week. But McGregor's books were based on a younger Indiana Jones, so I'm curious to read some more of his books. They're pretty good, actually and I'd definetely recommend to read all of them (Interior World is pretty weak but cxoncludes his series, so you better read it)

I'd prefer to read about Indy's adventures between '38 and '57, instead of more 20's and 30's adventures.

UltimateManGod

Flannery10 said:
I'd prefer to read about Indy's adventures between '38 and '57, instead of more 20's and 30's adventures.

There are some adventures set then. There are some comics, Infernal Machine, and a whole series of German language books. Sadly, they still haven't been translated, but they are part of the general Lucasfilm continuity. I would love for those to be translated, as well as having an all new series detailing adventures with Mac and such. Maybe if the reprints sell well, we'll get those translations.

Flannery10

UltimateManGod said:
There are some adventures set then. There are some comics, Infernal Machine, and a whole series of German language books. Sadly, they still haven't been translated, but they are part of the general Lucasfilm continuity. I would love for those to be translated, as well as having an all new series detailing adventures with Mac and such. Maybe if the reprints sell well, we'll get those translations.

I am German;) and I have in fact read all of the books. Some of them should really be translated, especially Labyrinth of Horus and Dschingis Khan's Sword. Very good action and humor (especially Horus). Some of the others are quite worth a read (even though there are hardly any characters from the movies appearing. A very competetive and arrogant French archeologist is in one of them though, sadly the weakest one).

Luke Skywalker

I just re-read Peril at Delphi, and it mentions Indys future, one being that the omphalos is stolen from Marcus Museum. I dont think that was mentioned in later McGregor novels so he could have some story to make a new novel about....

Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker said:
I just re-read Peril at Delphi, and it mentions Indys future, one being that the omphalos is stolen from Marcus Museum. I dont think that was mentioned in later McGregor novels so he could have some story to make a new novel about....

I'm starting to re-read dance of giants, and Joanna Campbell interest in the omphalos and the druid-greek connection screams for the artifact returning in this adventure.

The things you forgot over time (and after countless other books :p )

I tried to edit my previous post but the label was not there to click. Maybe it has something to do with me using another computer?

Stoo

Luke Skywalker said:
I tried to edit my previous post but the label was not there to click. Maybe it has something to do with me using another computer?
You only have about 5-10 minutes after posting before the edit button disappears.

I re-read "Delphi" a few months ago, too, but don't remember mention of the Omphalos being stolen. What page?

Tennessee Smith

I think its mentioned when the book descibes what Indy sees when he holds it and sees his future. I believe it mentions him giving it to Marcus then seeing it stolen from its case in the museum. That scene Indy sees in his vision does actually happen in the the next book of the series, the dance of the giants.

scubasteve

Luke Skywalker said:

This is fleshed out in Dance of the Giants.

SPOILER - The Omphalos is "stolen" but it's a decoy.