TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #126
Archaeos
IndyFan

Just very quickly pushed off my desk amidst much work, as I wanted this in the thread for completion's sake:

Egyptologist and broadcaster Kara Cooney just posted a link on her Facebook page leading to a HuffPost article by Andrew Burmon.

Titled Golden Mummies: What Happened To The Indiana Jones Of Egypt?, it nicely summarizes what happened to Zahi Hawass since the Arab Spring, and what his prospects are under a potentially new institutionalised Islamic Republic of Egypt lead by the current generation of the Muslim Brotherhood. While the summary is comprehensive and well sourced, featuring comments by Dieter Arnold, Head of the Met’s Egypt Department, it should be noted that any ideas of an "Iran 2.0" occuring in Egypt are still nowhere on the horizon.

Salle ala Nabi, my fellow Raveners.
Archaeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #127
China Jim
IndyFan

Zahi Hawass Update

Recently heard on Coast to Coast AM Dr.Hawass is residing some where in the continental United States the interviewer could get no further info from guest, the guest stated Zahi was trying to get back into the good graces of the ruling party but we will see as they say
China Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #128
Archaeos
IndyFan

Zahi Hawass Spotting Update

Zahi is still in Egypt, as a simple and humble man summarising his grand achievements... himself. Read about it in this jaw-dropping interview with Ursula Lindsey here published in Bidoun Magazine.
Archaeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #129
Goodeknight
IndyFan

GREAT article. But, boy, he's more full of himself than ever. Somehow, still likeable, though.
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #130
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Just saw on Facebook that Zahi will soon lead a tour of Egypt. Feb. 15-28, 2014.

http://www.archaeologicalpaths.com/

14 days, 700 people, and after hours tours of both the Egyptian Museum and the Great Pyramid. You'd need private tour hours with 700 people along. However, they are opening two closed areas in the Great Pyramid for this group, including the subterranean chamber, which I've always wanted to see.

No idea what the cost is.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #131
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Found out by happenstance that these tours are $5,000 per person. ($6,300 or so if you're traveling alone and want your own room.)

That wouldn't include airfare, either.

So, Zahi is staying busy...and rolling in the Benjamins, or, rather, the Sphinxes...

I find it amusing that for his standup, they tried to crop around his head so they could pump up the sky and make it look pleasantly blue. There's almost never a sky that blue over Cairo.