'Ankara' Stone - Temple of Doom VHS spelling mistake?

michael

Has anyone noticed this before, I did a search and could not find anything.

6Indiana2.jpg

It's also on the tan background one.

Explanation or did they just miss it?

Stoo

Yeah, the "Ankara Stone" blurb on the VHS box is a definite mistake.

As to the correct pronunciation...

Mickiana

When i put an Indiana Jones DVD into my mac to watch, the desktop icon comes up with its caption written as "Indinana Jones"! This has probably been noted before, but while we are talking about spelling mistakes....

Indy's brother

I've always wondered where they find the hacks that write these consistently horrible film synopsis's on the back of vhs and disc cases. I mean the descriptions are enough to drive a guy like me away from a film with the hard sell. I mean, come on. In this particular example, It makes the quest for the ark about saving the world, which never seemed like the focus of the film to me. Also, not only was Sankara misspelled, but in actuality he went after all three. And I never got that the "Ankara" Stone was "famous", Indy had to explain it twice in the film. It's closing statement describes TOD as an "Epic". Doesn't really fit, imho. When I think of a film epic, I think of Sir Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, or Dr. Zhivago. It's nitpicking, but really, when it's this off it seems like it would do more harm than good. Smacks of desperation.

People must not really read or believe a word of this crap, or they'd end up geting pissed once they actually watch their movies.

Mickiana

Those hacks are someone's drinking buddy no doubt. You'd think it wouldn't be permissible to get this lack of polish through to the market shelves. Also, they've got to plug the superhero stuff as completely wrong as it is. I suppose it's a standard marketing procedure.

Stoo

Mickiana said:
When i put an Indiana Jones DVD into my mac to watch, the desktop icon comes up with its caption written as "Indinana Jones"!
Ha!:D Which DVD set, Mickie?

Trivia question: In which filmed Indy adventure is the word, 'Ankara', spoken?

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
(Donovan/Grail Tablet discovery site)
Nice! That wasn't even what I was thinking of. There is another Ankara mention somewhere else...

Archaeos, I see that is your 1st post. Welcome to The Raven!:hat:

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Nice! That wasn't even what I was thinking of. There is another Ankara mention somewhere else...

Oh?? Do tell! My curiosity gets the better of me now :p !

Stoo said:
Archaeos, I see that is your 1st post. Welcome to The Raven!:hat:

Thank you, Stoo! An honour to be welcomed to the bar by you :hat:
Looking forward to hanging out here.

Mickiana

Stoo said:
Ha!:D Which DVD set, Mickie?

It's the box set "The Complete DVD Movie Collection Digitally Mastered". It says on the bottom of the box case Made in Australia Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment (Australasia) PL. It's region 4 Pal. And it's only the Raiders disc that does it. 'Tis a small thing, but "Indinana" sounds funny!

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Oh?? Do tell! My curiosity gets the better of me now :p !
Forgot to reply to this. Here's a clue: The other mention is in a Young Indy episode that takes place in the same country as Ankara.;)
Archaeos said:
Thank you, Stoo! An honour to be welcomed to the bar by you :hat:
Looking forward to hanging out here.
My pleasure, Archaeos and I'm glad to see that you've found a comfortable barstool. *Prost!*:hat:
Moedred said:
Stones? I thought they were eggs of immortality...
Ha! Rather than 'Ankara Egg', I would say that 'The Egg of Ankara' has a better ring to it (though that might boil down to personal preference).:p

HenryJunior

It's really is funny how rushed out these movie descriptions are. It almost seems a quick cheap write up is done with little to no knowledge and is used ubiquitously on press releases, books, and Home Video.:p

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Here's a clue: The other mention is in a Young Indy episode that takes place in the same country as Ankara.;)

Oh well, obviousness kills the feable-minded... I should have thought of that :eek: ...

Then it obviously has to be "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Volume Three — The Years of Change — Masks of Evil (Istanbul + Transylvania 1918)"

Respectively: "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Istanbul, September 1918 - 2.20"

And as we are establishing in another thread, it is also known as Der Wolf von Istanbul in the country with the largest Turkish population outside of Turkey :D .

But I admit I can't recall the exact position where it was mentioned :mad: . Havn't the faintest clue. I watched it a few months ago in a back-to-back-one-episode-a-day session with my partner, who was especially keen on seeing how Young Indy would encounter Atatürk and Istanbul (for reasons I hinted at in post #7 of what might become a global Turkey thread here).
I guess I will have to rewatch it :cool: .

Stoo said:
My pleasure, Archaeos and I'm glad to see that you've found a comfortable barstool. *Prost!*:hat:

Thanks (again, I must add). Having lurked in from the cold through the windows for quite a while, and daringly sneaked in through the back-door without introductions, I find this to be a very warm place indeed. The beer is served cool here at The Raven, too. I like that. Guess I will grab some peanuts from the bar next. They look yummee...

Last edited:

Stoo

HenryJunior said:
It's really is funny how rushed out these movie descriptions are. It almost seems a quick cheap write up is done with little to no knowledge and is used ubiquitously on press releases, books, and Home Video.:p
What is also amusing is how the blurb calls the Stone, "famous". (HenryJunior, you have to see the video where a guy is reviewing "Temple of Doom" and he doesn't even know in which country the story took place!:eek:)
Archaeos said:
But I admit I can't recall the exact position where it was mentioned :mad: . Havn't the faintest clue. I watched it a few months ago in a back-to-back-one-episode-a-day session with my partner, who was especially keen on seeing how Young Indy would encounter Atatürk and Istanbul (for reasons I hinted at in post #7 of what might become a global Turkey thread here).
I guess I will have to rewatch it :cool:
I could tell you exactly where it is but it's more fun sending you on a hunt.:p What I like about the mention is that it alludes to an unseen & untold Young Indy adventure.

Another Ankara reference courtesy of Darwin Jones: Signs in Turkish (Iskenderun Train Station)
Archaeos said:
Guess I will grab some peanuts from the bar next. They look yummee...
The Drifter usually advises newcomers to NOT eat the peanuts! You just don't know where some Raveners hands have been...:p

Archaeos

Stoo said:
I could tell you exactly where it is but it's more fun sending you on a hunt.:p What I like about the mention is that it alludes to an unseen & untold Young Indy adventure.

Okay, the hunt is on. Might take a while, but I take up the challenge :cool: .

Stoo said:
Originally Posted by Archaeos
Guess I will grab some peanuts from the bar next. They look yummee...
The Drifter usually advises newcomers to NOT eat the peanuts! You just don't know where some Raveners hands have been...:p

:eek: - *drinks a whole glass of Tibetan melted-snow tap water in one go, then desperately grabs his Royal Ordnance Gas Mask Bag Pattern 37 Mark VII, fumbling for a Wrigley's Spearmint*