Back on the Big Screen - Would You?

Agent Crab

If I felt like it.

Last time I watched KoTC was in the threaters. I own it on DVD, but it sits in my shelf.

DocWhiskey

Lance Quazar said:
KOTCS might not have had quite the low lows of TPM, but at least "phantom menace" was mildly entertaining - in spots.

"Crystal Skull" never was.

If KOTCS doesn't have the "low lows" of TPM, how could it be worse?

If anything, KOTCS was mindless entertainment. I thought that's why these "haters" hated it to begin with. It lacked the great storytelling the previous films had and in turn filled it with mindless action.

The Area 51 scene and the motorcycle chase were more than mildly entertaining. They were, dare I say, entertaining action scenes. The only notable action scene I could recall in TPM was the finale saber fight with Maul. And that's only because fight choreography has come a long way since the original trilogy.

I like TPM, it was okay, but KOTCS didn't have a Jar Jar, which in turn gives it an upper hand.

Darth Vile

I think some of these views around KOTCS versus TPM just underline how subjective it all is. Seems to me that there is quite a bit of nostalgia for TPM now (10 years after the event), and even those who hated it back in 1999 (well speaking for some of my friends/acquaintances anyway), now think it's by far the best SW prequel (if not the 2nd/3rd best Star Wars movie of the entire saga).

Being a bit of a Star Wars fan myself, I'd have to admit that I actually think KOTCS is a better action/adventure movie than TPM, even if KOTCS is somewhat shallower and lacking in some of the layers/subtlety that gave TPM some depth. KOTCS (IMHO) is more successful as a standalone movie, whilst TPM works better as a prelude to the other SW prequels.

TPM may have been a huge disappointment for many at the time (for numerous reasons I won't go into here), but on a movie making/artistic level, it is in many places quite beautiful and cinematically progressive… it’s just that some of that “artistic achievement” is lost in some of the stilted dialogue and somber/dour characterizations.

Last edited:

graz

Personally, I find it amazing that anyone could think that TPM is a better more entertaining movie within its franchise than KOTCS. For me, TPM still strikes me as a Disneyesque Sci-fi movie with little on offer for grown ups.

KOTCS for all its faults, was still a right laugh and a rollicking action movie.

Hello everyone BTW! (y)

graz said:
Personally, I find it amazing that anyone could think that TPM is a better more entertaining movie within its franchise than KOTCS. For me, TPM still strikes me as a Disneyesque Sci-fi movie with little on offer for grown ups.

KOTCS for all its faults, was still a right laugh and a rollicking action movie.

Hello everyone BTW! (y)

See, now I find it surprising that anyone could respond to either of them in any way other than as the desperate money-grubbing, soul-sucking attention-whore stunts that they were. Of course what Georgie-boy has to be desperate about is beyond me; you can't take it with you, George...

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien said:
See, now I find it surprising that anyone could respond to either of them in any way other than as the desperate money-grubbing, soul-sucking attention-whore stunts that they were. Of course what Georgie-boy has to be desperate about is beyond me; you can't take it with you, George...

I think that belies both the potential true intent and/or any real shortfalls the movies may have. If it was simply about milking the cash cow, then George and Steven must truly be a pair of geniuses, as those movies made more money than the majority of their competitors. But I don't really think it's that black and white.

Forbidden Eye

ResidentAlien said:

We all knew if they were truly desperate, they would've replaced Harrison(ala James Bond) and would be making a 9th Indiana Jones movie by now.

I wouldn't see CS until after I've seen Raiders and the rest on screen first.

Unless they were showing it at the Nation?s Largest IMAX Dome Theater!

Saw a SPFX there before the SW Special Editions came out and Lucas Film produced HYPER detailed scenes from ANH just for the film.

Goonie

Darth Vile said:
I think that belies both the potential true intent and/or any real shortfalls the movies may have. If it was simply about milking the cash cow, then George and Steven must truly be a pair of geniuses, as those movies made more money than the majority of their competitors. But I don't really think it's that black and white.

I suspect that George is going to milk the original Star Wars trilogy again when it hits Blu-Ray. They still have that scene of Luke and his friends on Tatooine intact. They even showed it at one of the Comic Cons a few years ago. I have a feeling George may put it in there so people will buy the trilogy for the hundredth time. If only he gave us a legal copy of the Holiday Special.:sick::rolleyes:

Indy's Fist

I would! I remember late last summer, about the time KOTCS was about to leave theaters I went one last time to see it! Unlike some, I really likes KOTCS. The only movie I liked better last year was The Dark Knight.

AlivePoet

Indy's Fist said:
I would! I remember late last summer, about the time KOTCS was about to leave theaters I went one last time to see it! Unlike some, I really likes KOTCS. The only movie I liked better last year was The Dark Knight.

I thought WALL-E was better than both. But that might have to do with watching it for the first time a month after its release, in which I was alone with a then-special someone in a 200-seat theatre.

It was pretty swell. ;)

so wah mu

Forbidden Eye said:
We all knew if they were truly desperate, they would've replaced Harrison(ala James Bond) and would be making a 9th Indiana Jones movie by now.

Yeah, and if that plan ever came into fruition I would bang Spielbergs and Lucas' heads together with a pair of Ziildjaans. Repetitively!! for an unfathomably long period of time!

-repeat this mantra. Another Film? YES! Another Indy? Don't be so F*$@ing stoopid you dumb ass *@~#wit, where the f@~*s your head at!?? (ahem)

AlivePoet

so wah mu said:
-repeat this mantra. Another Film? YES! Another Indy? Don't be so F*$@ing stoopid you dumb ass *@~#wit, where the f@~*s your head at!?? (ahem)

:confused: ...gratuitous censored language fail?

Go easy on him...he's upset he lost the "Indy Lyric of the Day" Duel yesterday cause he had to bail...;)

It's not my fault Lonesome called "TIME"...

so wah mu

Rocket Surgeon said:
Go easy on him...he's upset he lost the "Indy Lyric of the Day" Duel yesterday cause he had to bail...;)

It's not my fault Lonesome called "TIME"...

Yeah that was a tough round. I have to hand it to you, you whipped me. Or do you guys say 'whooped' stateside?

The tai chi helps a little, but then so does the self induced body piercings.

Something has to be done with this scaffold tube though?

Hey Atilla, come on, I censored it myself. Surely that shows a degree of self control??? huh? Huh??

-and finally speaking of 'Duel' who was driving that truck!!???