What is your earliest memory of Indiana Jones?

Canyon

There have been many threads asking how people became an Indy fan, but what I would like to ask is, reaching back into your memory as far as you can, what is your earliest memory of Indy?

This can be a trailer for the films on tv, a mention of an Indy film coming out, your parents telling you they were going to take you to see an Indy movie, a film poster, etc.

For me, I'm pretty sure that I saw a clip of Raiders on tv when I was at the tender age of eight, and I'm sure it was when Indy runs out of the Chachapoyan Temple. As I was growing up in the 80's, my earliest memory of Indy himself was one of him being a very dark and mysterous character, very much like I see him at the beginning of Raiders.

Your thoughts please. :D

ElodieJones

I can remember, because I must go only 2 years ago

For me, many things give to me desire to watch movies:

- first, because I had ear about him many, many, many times...
It seem like I have always know Indiana Jones, but not really know...
- my little brother who had see Raiders with one of his friend.
- the Indiana Jones attraction in Disney Land Paris in 1998

Tennessee R

My earliest would have to be when I saw Raiders on our TV maybe when I was 7-8 years old. And my mama would tell me to close my eyes for the propeller part because she didn't think I could take it. ;)
At least I know that she couldn't. ;)

IAdventurer01

Ah earliest MEMORY. That helps! :p

I was 3 years old, playing Fate of Atlantis over and over and over and over and over..............................
Eventually I set the goal to beat it in one day. I did :)

My earliest memory...
In first grade, I heard a kid talk about a sequel to Tod called "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Death".
Ironically, that was the original name for the movie. :confused:

Webley

Just being a kid back in 1981 and playing in the yard with a whip and a fed on thinking I was Indy. :whip:Wow I cant believe I can remember that far back I gess the kind of life stile I leed effects my short term memory only :confused:

Last edited:

fatima

I really remember my earliest memory of Indy, it was back in 1989, when I was 12 at the time, and a school colleague was praising to all the greatness of Indy! at the time I didn't watch the movie, maybe I wasn't fully convinced by her, we were not best friends soo probably that was the reason why I ignored Last Crusade, and watched A Fish Called Wanda instead!!! I was sooooo silly, and I'm FULLY REGRETED!!! it was just one year later that I watched ToD and, so my first visual memory is him sitting in that Shangai Obi Wan restaurant! :)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Lets see...it would have to be LC in 1990. It was on VHS at a family friend's house. He had a big screen TV (a big to-do in 1990) and we watched it there. That would have made me only 7 years old, so I had to close my eyes on the scary parts.:eek: :p

I became a big fan in 2000, and haven't stopped since. :whip:

Finn

Staff member
I think the earliest mention of IJ I can recall from my own life is a reference in some Disney comic I was reading... of course, it said not much to me back then. LC I saw in '92 when it came out here on local channel, but yet that was nothing but a thrill ride... 'cept I still recall the shriek Donovan's death scene gave me (equalled the impression from '89 Bond movie <i>License to Kill</i> when one of the bad guys was killed in the pressure chamber... yes, I was a sensitive child).

But it took a couple more years longer and the scene where Indy interrupts his old flame's lecture... <i>"Atlantean god of..." "...deceit!"</i> That's when I decided this guy is cool.

theinfiniteweird

When I was like 6, my dad was watching ToD and made me go to bed before the whole heart scene. I peeked around the corner from the hallway and weatched it anyway. Scared the mess out of me! :dead:

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
1982 - Watched Raiders for the first time on Showtime - anyone remember that channel? It was like HBO. Over the next ten years, would wear out the Raiders video tape and my play clothes running through the woods, cracking a jumprope like a whip, and jumping across creek gullies like the natives were after me.

1984 - Remember all the ads and promos for Temple of Doom. Owned the Wendy's posters and the soundtrack on cassette. Unfortunately, was told by parents I was too young to see the film... Grrr...

1989 - Was given first Indy hat the summer of Last Crusade - saw Last Crusade twice with my new fedora.

Good times...

Indydan13

My parents had gone to see it and they had the first two on VHS and hadn't gotten around to getting LC yet (I was born in 89). As a young'n of 2 in 91, they had finally bought it and wanted me to see it. So they let me watch the first two beforehand to see if I was ready. I saw every minute of it and loved it. I was quoting "Kali Ma" over and over (my favorite line at the time) by age 4 and my invisible friend was...short round :eek: . I've been watching ever since and I even have ROTLA and LC VHS on display (My brother broke the TOD vhs in 99).

And another thing... does anyone remember the ad paper inside of LC that you mailed in to order Merchandise including a Fedora and stuff? I looked at it so much it was ruined before I was five.

San Holo

I saw Raiders when I was 4 years old back when it first came out. I couldnt understand why my mom covered my eyes when the German mechanic got to meet the business end of that propeller. I think that was pretty "graphic" in those days.

grumpus

i was about 4 and my dad was watching it out in the family room, and i saw the end of RotLA where the nazis die, goodtimes