indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
IndyFan89 said:
What films?

Just so all my cards are on the table: www.wsnproductions.com

anyways, filmation looks to corny, go big or go home I say.

Some traditional animation mixed with some blender talent would be the best. I can do all the things stated in my other post whenever you need me. Also, When we're done, I can cut up some cues from the Indy scores and disney attraction stuff to make a soundtrack.

This all sounds great but, again, without someone prepared to lead the process and bring it all together this idea will never get of the ground.

Stoo

Love the Filmation-type Indy, JuniorJones!(y) I'm a fan, ("Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle" and "Flash Gordon" being a few of my favourites) but agree with IndyFan89 that some might find that style too corny. Hard to judge but I know I like it.
JuniorJones said:
This all sounds great but, again, without someone prepared to lead the process and bring it all together this idea will never get of the ground.
Because many people are so keen on something like this coming to life, let's try and get the boulder rolling. If time permits, I could contribute in most areas, so assuming everyone is still on board, here's a good idea of where the project stands, based on what people have to offer. Forgive me if anyone has been left out:

Host Server
???
Story/Script
Mutt Jones/Indy's Brother/Holdeen
Production Design
Holdeen/Stoo/Col. Dietrich
Character Design
Col. Dietrich/Junior Jones/Stoo/Holdeen?
Storyboards
Holdeen/Stoo/JuniorJones/Col. Dietrich
Backgrounds
Holdeen/Stoo
Character Animation
JuniorJones/Holdeen?/Col. Dietrich
Secondary Animation
Col. Dietrich/Holdeen/Stoo
Sound/Music
IndyFan89/Stoo
Editing
IndyFan89/Stoo
FX
IndyFan89/Stoo
Promotional Art/Materials
Everyone!

Obviously, it's agreed that this will be a 5 min. short but we can't start without a story. That's the 1st step! Even if it's just a rough synopsis, let's get one on the table (and that means you, MuttJones, Indy's Bro & Holdeen)!:whip:Let's keep communicating and, once a rough story is hashed out, we'll have some direction & can start designating who will do what.

Anyone else ready, willing & able to join this healthy team?

Stoo

Forgot to add that this project also needs:

Voice Talent
Myself (or someone else) could muster up a passable Indy impersanation but other voices might be required (depending on the story).

One necessity is the Paramount logo. (How about going with "Playmount?) "Popeye" used a cartoon versions of it. Here's just one example...and a cool one at that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J_VFVi0zNY

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Love the Filmation-type Indy, JuniorJones!(y) I'm a fan, ("Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle" and "Flash Gordon" being a few of my favourites) but agree with IndyFan89 that some might find that style too corny. Hard to judge but I know I like it.
Because many people are so keen on something like this coming to life, let's try and get the boulder rolling. If time permits, I could contribute in most areas, so assuming everyone is still on board, here's a good idea of where the project stands, based on what people have to offer. Forgive me if anyone has been left out:

Host Server
???
Story/Script
Mutt Jones/Indy's Brother/Holdeen
Production Design
Holdeen/Stoo/Col. Dietrich
Character Design
Col. Dietrich/Junior Jones/Stoo/Holdeen?
Storyboards
Holdeen/Stoo/JuniorJones/Col. Dietrich
Backgrounds
Holdeen/Stoo
Character Animation
JuniorJones/Holdeen?/Col. Dietrich
Secondary Animation
Col. Dietrich/Holdeen/Stoo
Sound/Music
IndyFan89/Stoo
Editing
IndyFan89/Stoo
FX
IndyFan89/Stoo
Promotional Art/Materials
Everyone!

Obviously, it's agreed that this will be a 5 min. short but we can't start without a story. That's the 1st step! Even if it's just a rough synopsis, let's get one on the table (and that means you, MuttJones, Indy's Bro & Holdeen)!:whip:Let's keep communicating and, once a rough story is hashed out, we'll have some direction & can start designating who will do what.

Anyone else ready, willing & able to join this healthy team?

I'm in. It looks like you?ve got a handle on getting this thing moving. That?s a reasonable list of expectation from posters. We all need to raise the post count - I think we need a Spartacus moment here!!

I propose that Stoo (sorry!):D be the main co-ordinator and ultimately be the person to have a final decision on the direction of the project. I feel that this project will need it as to kept momentum and ensuring that creators are focused.

I love filmation for the ingenuity and economicy of style. You see, I can just imagine settling down on a Saturday Morning, back in the hazy days of 1982, watching the Incredible Hulk, then Mork & Mindy/Laverne & Shirley/Fonz Hour, then Thunderbirds 2086 and finally THE, ALL NEW, INDIANA JONES ADVENTURES::cool:

Le

Indy's brother

I'd be willing to contribute for writing, but I'd need a consensus among participants on things that we would like to have in it:

1.Cast of characters
2.Which would dictate location Shorty and Willie belong in the east somewhere sans nazis, I have a zombie idea for this. Marion of course opens up nazis and I have an idea for this (and mini macguffin) for this too.
3.Also, Is this going to be a macGuffin driven short, or do you want to just hop into an action sequence (car chase? fistfight? gun battle? boat? plane? creepy crawlies? etc..)? A few short minutes isn't much time to tell a very deep story, you know-- unless you guys want to expand on the Indyverse and tell a sidebar type of story that expands on the OT, like something with Forestahl, or Jock for example.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:
I'd be willing to contribute for writing, but I'd need a consensus among participants on things that we would like to have in it:

1.Cast of characters
2.Which would dictate location Shorty and Willie belong in the east somewhere sans nazis, I have a zombie idea for this. Marion of course opens up nazis and I have an idea for this (and mini macguffin) for this too.
3.Also, Is this going to be a macGuffin driven short, or do you want to just hop into an action sequence (car chase? fistfight? gun battle? boat? plane? creepy crawlies? etc..)? A few short minutes isn't much time to tell a very deep story, you know-- unless you guys want to expand on the Indyverse and tell a sidebar type of story that expands on the OT, like something with Forestahl, or Jock for example.

Just pitch your idea.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Lets get a first step...

Col. Dietrich, Stoo and Holdeen pitch your ideas for design or preferred style. I'm easy; I'll fit into whatever style is decided.:D

Here's some another Filmation inspired test.:hat:

indi2-2.gif

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
I propose that Stoo (sorry!):D be the main co-ordinator and ultimately be the person to have a final decision on the direction of the project. I feel that this project will need it as to kept momentum and ensuring that creators are focused.
Well, thanks but that's up to everyone else. I can do it although, be warned: I'm a bit of a perfectionist.:p

JuniorJones said:
I love filmation for the ingenuity and economicy of style. You see, I can just imagine settling down on a Saturday Morning, back in the hazy days of 1982, watching the Incredible Hulk, then Mork & Mindy/Laverne & Shirley/Fonz Hour, then Thunderbirds 2086 and finally THE, ALL NEW, INDIANA JONES ADVENTURES::cool:
Ha ha! No "Gilligan's Planet"? The only Saturday morning cartoon I was still watching in '82 was "Spiderman & His Amazing Friends". After that...the last ones I watched were "Dungeons & Dragons" and "Droids" in '85.

Anyway, this has got me thinking...What if, instead of doing a short story, we just do a "commercial" preview for an imaginary series. This way, we don't have to come up with a story we all agree on (we can start faster this way) and just include whatever scenaros we'd like to see (much like Lucas, Spielberg & Kasdan hashing things out over a kitchen table). What do you think?

Indy's brother said:
Forrestal or Jock would be awesome. The way I'm envisioning it would be a short sequence that alludes to a larger story.

Here's some examples of possible styles for comparison:

A) Filmation type
B) Hanna-Barbera type
C) I don't know, Indiana Jones Adventures type
D) Simple
E) Exaggerated
F) Cartoony, Don Martin/Col. Dietrich type

Personally, I find that a Patrick Shoenmaker/Disney style is where it's at and think that's what most fans want to see. Without copying them, how about something between B, C & E? No offense, Junior (your tests are great), but I think some people might find Filmation too "old school". (The backgrounds still hold up, though!)

Test_Styles_1.jpg

P.S. Want to see a Filmation whip? Check this out at 6:20.
Tarzan and the Golden Lion

Snakes

I think C is the best personally. Simple yet still has a lot of character and detail. Great job on all of them though.

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Anyway, this has got me thinking...What if, instead of doing a short story, we just do a "commercial" preview for an imaginary series. This way, we don't have to come up with a story we all agree on (we can start faster this way) and just include whatever scenaros we'd like to see (much like Lucas, Spielberg & Kasdan hashing things out over a kitchen table). What do you think?

I think that's an excellent idea, Stoo! Kind of like the opening sequence for Scooby-Doo? It's a great way to cram as much of anything you want into one short. Also, the variety this offers us would be a nice way to keep everyone involved interested.

If anyone else likes this plan of attack, then we should start posting ideas.

[EDIT] Oh, and I'm stuck between B and C.

Indy's brother

To get the ball rolling (pun intended) on Stoo's idea, here's some stuff I posted in another thread:

Given the sense of humor the films have, I'd like to see Indy accidently flip a cigarette out of someone's mouth as he draws back to crack his whip.

I'd like to see him punch a guy in the face so hard, it knocks the guy out of one of his shoes. (Saw it happen for real once...it was Bad Ass).

I'd like to see a POV shot of Indy staring down the sights of his pistol while shooting someone and swinging by his whip.

I'd like to see a woman punch him in the face again.

I would like to see Indy smile after dispatching a baddie like he did on the motorcycle in LC again.

I'd like to see Indy in disguise again.

I also have another idea if we are going to go this route. One short sequence that gets broken up by the other mish mash of shots. For example, Indy is in a bar fight, he picks up a bottle and attempts to break it over the edge of the bar. It doesn't break, so he has to duck a punch. then show one or two completely unrelated clips of Indy doing something else. Then come back to Indy trying to break the bottle again, the stupid thing is still in tact! Indy dives out the way of a barrage of bullets. One or two more clips. Indy gives up trying to turn the bottle into a sharp weapon and just hits someone over the head with it. It disintegrates...worthless! Then he receives a punch in the face, TOD style. This last bit would end the animation.

It wouldn't have to be the bottle gag I just came up with, of course. I just wanted to use it to illustrate what I meant. If you guys like it, though, it's yours.

Doing Stoo's idea would also get us around the Paramount fade problem by sidestepping it completely. We could and probably should step right into some serious action right at the beginning.

We would also need some sort of a title, like "The Amazing World of Indiana Jones" or something less lame. Throw some ideas out there, guys. This project needs a name!

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I vote for A, but I would do.

My suggestion would be to keep the style relatively realistic and the animation simplified regardless of the style chosen.

Tartakovsky?s Clone Wars was a good example of an effective use of styling with creative animated techniques.

Title sequence, great idea ? let?s have Indy wing walking!!:D

muttjones

i think that we should have a short sequence of him dodging some traps in a cave or something before a boulder like object (boulder with spikes?) comes at Indy. He turns and says "Not again." or something like that before cutting to some other clips. This should be an actual trailer rather than just a mashup of different bits. it doesnt have to reveal story but having a short sequence before breaking it into shots of different events (like Indy's brother's bar fight idea) will flow better.

Flannery10

This sounds like a very interesting project, but I'm afraid my creativity and time are quite limited.

But, I would definetely vote for C. Personally I like the Clone Wars style idea, somebody mentioned already and I think a harder edged Indy would be a better title character for an animated short than the cartoony version.

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
I vote for A, but I would do.
Not sure I really understand the last bit of your sentence, Junior, but you will probably be doing the brunt of the animation so your opnion on style is a big factor on the final decision.

Junior Jones said:
My suggestion would be to keep the style relatively realistic and the animation simplified regardless of the style chosen.
Absolutely. I can re-post more simplified versions of B & C. (Those are the 2 that I really like and got a little carried away with the rendering.) I also agree on the Tartakovsky style. Not to everyone's taste but it works for me.

Been wondering if Holdeen is still in on this...:confused: "Earth calling Holdeen. Come in, Holdeen..."

col.dietrich said:
i want to go for a more cartooney look so i would say F or D
Actually those two were done with you in mind but it looks like B and C are the most popular choices (E is out). If we do decide to go with a style that you might find too difficult, don't worry, there will still be work for you! Your ability/willingness to contribute is important and will not be ignored.:) In the meantime, let's see those sketches!

I really think we should just make a title sequence lasting about 1 to 1.5 minutes. A mish-mash of shots from "upcoming epsiodes" and footage "exclusive to the opening". Indy's brother said it best with the "Scooby-Doo" reference but how 'bout something as cool as this: Jonny Quest (Indy doesn't necessarily have to be in EVERY shot.)

Nice idea with the bottle, Indy's Bro. Good gag!:D I'll try and "whip up" some storyboards for it.

Ska

Woah! How did I miss this thread until today?

I'd love to help with the project in any way I can. I feel fairly confident in my artistic skills to add my input.

I really like the idea of a "commercial" style short. That would be a great way to show Indy in a variety of situations/locations with different relics and artifacts.

As for the character design (I like them all, btw, Stoo), my pick is for B. I really like that one.