Snoopy!?

The Drifter

I have a book called "The Giant Bathroom Reader" and in it there is a small snippet which states.

<i>Snoopy, the philosophical beagle from the Charlie Brown comic strip, may have assumed a more historical, perhaps even religious significance. Professor Filippo Magi, director of the Vatican's Archaeological Study and Research, reports a strange find at a dig beneath one of Rome's most historic churches: the papal Basilica of St. Mary Major. Under the church are the remains of a huge, first-century AD forum, or market, and among the crowded Roman graffiti on its walls is a perfect image of Snoopy the beagle. Some Rome newspapers are reported to be showing a picture of the famous dog lying on the roof of his kennel thinking: "Suspirium! Acetate progredi, heu!" (Sigh! The years roll on, alas!).</i>

Now, I do not claim to know how much credit that an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader has, but I have looked this up on Google, and everwhere and I can't seem to find anything on this subject.
I find it pretty darn cool if it's true, and I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this?

RedeemedChild

This is quite interesting being I, my sister, father and mother are all Charles Schulz "Peanuts" fans. I've always wondered why the program is called "Peanuts"? It'd stand to reason much better if it were called "Snoopy" or "Good Ole Charlie Brown as opposed to "Peanuts".

RedeemedChild

I can't say that I blame him for hating it. I don't much like the title "Peanuts" myself.

I've say it quite a bit to my friends and family that I never could understand why Schultz would call the program "Peanuts" instead of "The Snoopy Show", "Tales of Good Ole Charlie Brown", "The Charlie Brown Show" or simply "Snoopy". Besides many people today simply refer to the cartoon and comic strip as "Snoopy" instead of "Peanuts".

Finn

Staff member
RedeemedChild said:
Schultz would call the program
By the way, you keep referring to the franchise with a word "program" since the comic was where it all started and kept going on for five decades?

RedeemedChild

Finn said:
By the way, you keep referring to the franchise with a word "program" since the comic was where it all started and kept going on for five decades?

I'm sorry Finn. When I said "program" I was specifically referring to the Peanuts cartoons. On the other if I make reference to the comic strip I'll specifically use the terms "comic" or "comic strip".

Finn

Staff member
RedeemedChild said:
I'm sorry Finn. When I said "program" I was specifically referring to the Peanuts cartoons. On the other if I make reference to the comic strip I'll specifically use the terms "comic" or "comic strip".
I see. I'm just thinking that we should really be talking about the comic instead of some animation pieces, since that's the ultimate product.

But whatever, I'm okay with that so no need to apologize, me at least. If you wish to say sorry to somebody, tell it to Mr. Schultz. I doubt he ever drew a single frame of the cartoons made from his works.

RedeemedChild

Incredible Finn!

So Charles Schultz was not the direct producer of the cartoons? I thought he had a direct hand in the Peanuts animations. I remember back when I was around 7 or 8 seeing a documentary regarding animation and Peanuts and they showed Mr. Schultz sitting at desk drawing frames for "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Could you explain a little more please. I'd really like to investigate Schultz, Peanuts and the whole animation project.

Finn

Staff member
At least with the particular program you mentioned -http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0059026/fullcredits - IMDb lists him as "writer". What his hand in the project was apart from obviously creating the story, I can't really tell. Maybe he drew frames. Maybe he didn't. If I was to pick an educated guess, what you saw him doing was drawing storyboards.

But what I mean to say is that Schultz is and will be remembered as a comic artist - first and foremost. At least I've never heard anybody calling him an animator.

RedeemedChild

"But what I mean to say is that Schultz is and will be remembered as a comic artist - first and foremost. At least I've never heard anybody calling him an animator."

You've got a point there Finn. I've never heard anyone refer to him as an animator. I've always heard people refer to him as the "pioneer of the newspaper comic strip as we know it".

Even today the newspapers continue to run the "Classic Peanuts" comic strips and The Macon Telegraph continues to run the "Good Ole Charlie Brown Peanuts" features.

Jorbex

All of the TV specials were animated by the great Bill Melendez, working from storyboards by Schulz. Schulz also did the story for all or most of the specials, as far as I know.

Goonie

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Now, I do not claim to know how much credit that an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader has, but I have looked this up on Google, and everwhere and I can't seem to find anything on this subject.
I find it pretty darn cool if it's true, and I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this?

Afterall, that dog took on the Red Baron. Maybe he was Caesar at one point. ;)

RedeemedChild

Jorbex said:
All of the TV specials were animated by the great Bill Melendez, working from storyboards by Schulz. Schulz also did the story for all or most of the specials, as far as I know.

Thanks Jorbex