Finding Atlantis

"there is quite a bit of evidence that Jesus Christ existed"
None that any decent archaeologist/historian accepts as valid.....

"there is also a lot of evidence that a place/civilization"
Not a drop....

"have you heard of the Piri Reis maps"
Yes... there are lots of strange maps from the past.... One cannot assume that just because they were drawn, they represent what is/was actually there...

"Albert Einstein supported Charles Hapgood's theories"
All that proves to me is that everyone is capable of being out to sea.... It's not like Einstein's insight into physics gave him any similar insights into planetology...

One doesn't ask a stormtrooper how to install a toilet main....

monkey

Jesus in the Napa Valley..........driving a truck..........

....probably bringing wine to the Catholic Churches....

...is it 4 wheel drive?

monkey

CH,

I'm sorry that you seem so unimaginative that you must squash any thoughts of the possibility that an advanced civilization may have existed before recorded history.

I think that one did. And I think there is quite a lot of evidence to support this theory.

You seem very zealous to crush this idea.

I wonder why.

This is not confrontational........I'm just honestly curious.......you remind me of a friend of mine.

JediIndy

I was watching Stargate Atlantis and I also read a few books that mentioned the same thing that mentioned that the real Atlantis was a super advanced culture? That 50,000 years ago a continent in the Atlantic existed and people were incredibly advanced, could fly with just special boots, have personal forcefields, even space faring? Could it have been possible? ..Maybe the evidence is somewhere deep in the Atlantic ocean. Maybe one day we will have the technology to search it's deep depths and unearth some remanant of advanced technology?

ClintonHammond you're right, I studied Plato, I've read the Timaeus and the Critias, I even translate a piece of it in the original Ancient Greek form, and I know that for Plato Atlantis was an example to demonstrate his theory of the perfect state that he after explained in the Republic; but c'mon let's the people dream!:) At last we're Indyfan and we have to believe in Atlantis...ahh the great lost kingdom...

smokin_si1138

For me some of the theories surrounding the so called lost advanced civilisations border on the Colonial Archaeology of the last century.

The idea that feats such as the Pyramids were actually the result of an advanced civilisation other than the Egyptians is obviously controversial (not least of all because there is absolutely NO evidence to support such a statement). If anyone here knows about the farce surrounding Great Zimbabwe the you'll know what I mean.

Anyhoo as for Atlantis, I see no evidence for an advanced civilisation. But often legend is based on a degree of fact. There may well have been an island civilsation that was wiped from the earth by a cataclysm of sorts (I read one theory that the legend stems from the fate of the palatial Knossos civilisation).

Over the years that story has been embellished until the Atlantis theory that we all know and love today.

JediIndy

Was watching Stargate: Atlantis again last week. Cool with the whole wraith war. Anyway it maybe a flight of imagination but it would have been cool if the Atlanteans had a city like in Stargate Atlantis. A City so advanced it is sentient in itself to a degree. A city which could submerge itself or even fly off and move. Pretty amazing ideas they have in Stargate.

fortuneandglory

Just posting some evidence for Atlantis here...

This provides some evidence some positive evidence on the subject, some interesting evidence actually, although I'm not so quick to believe the legend.

http://www.atlan.org/copyright/1997/articles/atlantis/

Atlantis was first the home of Posiedon, in myth. Of course, he got frisky with a mortal woman, Cleito, locked her up on the central island with rings of water arounder, had 5 sets of twins, blah blah blah, Atlas, the eldest son, controls the center island, Temple to Posiedon built on the central island,, eventually we get to the advanced culture who was consumed by the sea in a day and a night.

You've gotta ask yourself though, where did the legend come from? Did Plato just make it up? I'm not so sure. I'm more sold on the legend arriving from a real race inhabiting the island of Tartessos, meaning the Tin Island or Islands if I am getting the right translation (I'm just starting college, I dont speak all the languages I want to yet). This island mysteriously dissappeared. This island existed much father in the future, nearly eight millenia.

We say super advanced now, but when in actuality, we shoul be focusing on advanced for the age. They will not have had the Jonny Quest-esque hovercrafts, or the Archimedes deathray. We're talking about things like precious metals, and great tools made with those precious metals.

An Island might be able to "sink" into the sea, depending on the severity of the earthquake or other catastrophic event. We just need a fault line in the vicinity.

Where is that? Again, I'm not sure.

Atlantis will probably always be a mystery, but hey, thats the fun part of it, right?

"You've gotta ask yourself though, where did the legend come from? Did Plato just make it up?"

No mystery at all... There exists not a single non-Platonic tradition of Atlantis... It's political/social satire, using Crete as a modle....

Dani

Ummm, Plato was not the first person the write about Atlantis, the Ancient Egyptians were.

Atlantis believer!!!!!!!!!!

Doc Savage

I have an opinion...no hard facts though. Anyone ever heard of ooparts? Out Of Place ARTifactS. Evidences, I believe, that civilization before the Flood (which I believe in, no need to bring that discussion here when it has its own thread) was as advanced, or moreso, than we are today. Hence, we have stories of an advanced race buried by waters in a cataclysm. A technologically adept world wiped out by a Great Flood.

phatr32

Doc Savage said:
I believe, that civilization before the Flood (which I believe in, no need to bring that discussion here when it has its own thread) was as advanced, or moreso, than we are today.

if they were so advanced, why couldnt they forsee the great flood, or at least have a "backup plan" in case they were wiped out e.g have a copy of their great knowledge moved to another part of the world?

steve

"the Ancient Egyptians"
Provide a single drop of evidence....

"I have an opinion...no hard facts though"
No facts of any sort for that matter eh Doc.....