General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Darth Vile

I don't want to speak for everyone... but I thought many of us here were of the view that any potential Indy V should pull back from the over the top sequences/all out action and maybe go a little bit smaller/personal (with obviously it's fair share of great action set peices).

DoomsdayFAN - I think wehen you state 'Epic' you mean with a grand scale and vision? We'd all agree with that, but as implied above 'epic' in itself does not equate to 'good'... in fact it can be a distraction when one has to continuously "go large" as they do with Indy movies. ;)

This is one of the key reasons why I think the Indy production is stuck. I.e. the only way forward is to go backwards (paradoxicly) to something more basic... and it's much easier to do that with a new director and new cast. Lucas and Spielberg are in a perpetual state of having to 'up the anti'... I don't think it's there fault and it's something they are going to find pretty much impossible to change when expectations are so fixed.

The Drifter

Darth Vile said:
I don't want to speak for everyone... but I thought many of us here were of the view that any potential Indy V should pull back from the over the top sequences/all out action and maybe go a little bit smaller/personal (with obviously it's fair share of great action set peices).

This is my sentiment exactly.
I want a personal struggle with Indy more than anything. I want him feeling the weight of all those years and all that mileage upon his shoulders.
I want to delve into his character and see an Indy we've never seen before. A broken Indy (Which I have said many times, a divorce from Marion could bring about this state), and one last adventure brings back that old fire.

Sure, I want nice action scenes, but I want a personal experience to be on the forefront.

Darth Vile

The Drifter said:
This is my sentiment exactly.
I want a personal struggle with Indy more than anything. I want him feeling the weight of all those years and all that mileage upon his shoulders.
I want to delve into his character and see an Indy we've never seen before. A broken Indy (Which I have said many times, a divorce from Marion could bring about this state), and one last adventure brings back that old fire.

Sure, I want nice action scenes, but I want a personal experience to be on the forefront.

Yep - problem is that I think they've missed that particular boat... KOTCS was the real opportunity to be adventurous and have a departure from what had gone before. I think Indy V still has the potential to be a better movie (as Spielberg might perhaps have re-gained some of that eye for great action direction), but it will use the same formula as KOTCS/TLC no doubt.

DoomsdayFAN

As I was getting at earlier, I would like a very thick and rich dramatic arc that is well executed and delves even deeper into the lore of Indiana Jones. Something vibrant and engaging, like his relationship to his father was in LC. I agree and think that the dramatic elements of the film should be at the very forefront, however, I think these elements need to be wrapped in an absolute abundance of action on par with or exceeding what we've seen before. Let's face it, Indy = Utmost Adventure. As a fan, I don't want to see the engrossing action toned down in any way. I want it to be grandiose and amazing and exciting as hell. In other words, I want to feel that same feeling I got when I discovered the original trilogy for the first time back in the day. I want to be just as blow away now as I was then. Toning it down and making it inferior in terms of action or scope in any way would be a let down, even if the dramatic elements were really outstanding. I can tell you right now, if Indy V were to be like that, after the movie ended, I would be scratching my head and saying to myself, "that was sure a good story, but it lacked the action and excitement of the first three films; the stuff I am used to seeing and expect from an Indy adventure. Bummer."

I think the bottom line is that Spielberg and Lucas need to stop playing it safe and go balls-to-the-wall like they did when they made Raiders. They need to stop being timid and stagnant, and be bold and daring and push the limits once again. Even if it's flat out impossible, regardless, they still need to shoot for the stars and try to give us something that's just as amazing as Raiders. :gun:

As I also briefly touched on, the soundtrack or musical score is the heart and soul of the film. If you were to remove all musical cues from Raiders, it would be infinitely less entertaining. So, for a future film, John Williams really needs to nail the score, push the envelope, and give us something grand and daring once again. The KOTCS score was mostly lackadaisical and boring. The old stuff was good, but the new stuff sucked.

At the mere mention of using CGI (to replace practical FX) by George Lucas, someone needs to slap him silly. (y)

Darth Vile

DoomsdayFAN said:
As I was getting at earlier, I would like a very thick and rich dramatic arc that is well executed and delves even deeper into the lore of Indiana Jones. Something vibrant and engaging, like his relationship to his father was in LC. I agree and think that the dramatic elements of the film should be at the very forefront, however, I think these elements need to be wrapped in an absolute abundance of action on par with or exceeding what we've seen before. Let's face it, Indy = Utmost Adventure. As a fan, I don't want to see the engrossing action toned down in any way. I want it to be grandiose and amazing and exciting as hell. [/I]"
I’m not sure you can have both. The original movies were exciting, but I’m not sure they could be described as “dramatic”. You could have a very dialogue driven movie with strong character arcs, but then how do you cram all the chases, fights and explosions into that without compromising the drama?

DoomsdayFAN said:
I think the bottom line is that Spielberg and Lucas need to stop playing it safe and go balls-to-the-wall like they did when they made Raiders. They need to stop being timid and stagnant, and be bold and daring and push the limits once again. Even if it's flat out impossible, regardless, they still need to shoot for the stars and try to give us something that's just as amazing as Raiders. :gun:
I hope you don’t mind me being frank, but I sense a contradiction in your words and wishes.

I think that Spielberg/Lucas “played it safe” by trying to copy the original format of the movies. Making a movie look and feel like Raiders isn’t original. It makes for a passé movie … and that ‘s what the beards biggest mistake with KOTCS was in my opinion i.e. they ignored the fact that action movies have moved on since the 1980’s. When I say a movie “like Raiders” I’m talking about the palpable sense I was watching something new… that presented a story/action in a new way for a new generation (similar to what Star Wars did).

If Lucas/Spielberg were to make a movie that emulated the daring of the first, I’m sure it wouldn’t look and feel like Raiders…. and you may not like the result. In fact you may end up preferring the KOTCS approach. For example, how would you react if, for Indy V, they decided to ditch Williams orchestral score in favour of something more esoteric, something less predictable as a big pompous 100-piece orchestra? What if they turned Indy V into an actionless European /arthouse cinema movie with one camera and the entire movie taking place in a single bedsit? If one wants a carbon copy of the first movies, then why not just watch the DVD’s? If you hanker after something different and new, lets not cloud it with talk about the previous movies. :)

Looks like Indy's next stint on the Big Screen will be in blocks...
The runaway success of Lego's brick-based video game versions of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter shows how much of an appetite there is for Lego adventures in animated form. Warner Bros has been developing the film for a couple of years and ...

...he's likely to cameo at least.:rolleyes:

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
I think that Spielberg/Lucas “played it safe” by trying to copy the original format of the movies. Making a movie look and feel like Raiders isn’t original. It makes for a passé movie … and that ‘s what the beards biggest mistake with KOTCS was in my opinion i.e. they ignored the fact that action movies have moved on since the 1980’s.

They might have followed the Raiders template too closely, but they followed it even closer with Last Crusade and the result was for my money a much better film. I do not disagree with your position that the Beards could stand to take more risks, but the originality of Indy4 as an issue is for me so subordinate to the limp execution that I don't even really take it into consideration when I evaluate the film. Whatever degree that Indy4 is a retread of what came before is nowhere near the movie's biggest mistake. I'm simply incapable of worrying about treating the patient's sprained ankle when he has a brain tumor.

And anyway, most would agree that Indy4 did anything but capture the look and feel of Raiders, which calls into question how much of a bearing the re-use of the original's "format" really has. What do you call Raiders' format, anyhow?

DoomsdayFAN

Darth Vile said:
I hope you don’t mind me being frank, but I sense a contradiction in your words and wishes.

I think that Spielberg/Lucas “played it safe” by trying to copy the original format of the movies. Making a movie look and feel like Raiders isn’t original. It makes for a passé movie … and that ‘s what the beards biggest mistake with KOTCS was in my opinion i.e. they ignored the fact that action movies have moved on since the 1980’s. When I say a movie “like Raiders” I’m talking about the palpable sense I was watching something new… that presented a story/action in a new way for a new generation (similar to what Star Wars did).

I wasn't clear enough. I want a film that looks and feels like Raiders, has the brilliant John Williams score (where he adds new stuff to the old stuff, just as he did in ToD from Raiders, and in LC from ToD; We got the old stuff but there was great new stuff too. I want that) and I just want it to feel like a direct continuation of the original trilogy. By being bold and daring, I meant I want them to go all out balls to the wall with an action packed adventure that constantly takes your breath away, and after it's over, you feel like you've just been on the most intense roller coaster ride of your life (Not possible with CGI, but only through Practical FX; Imagine Top Gun with CGI jets. It wouldn't be exciting at all). By them playing it safe, they purposely seemed to tone it down in KOTCS. Sure, there were some outlandish moments, but overall, it wasn't anywhere near as action packed or exciting as the previous films. I want nothing to be toned down on purpose. I want them to go for broke. But at the end of the day, I want an adventure that fits perfectly next to the original trilogy and doesn't feel overly different or like an outcast. Something that can comfortably call it self an Indy adventure.

As for the dramatic arc, I just want a really engaging story that's thought provoking and really pulls you in. Not just shallow brainless action. I mean, what is action without some drama? Nothing too deep, but just something that that holds the story together well and drives the adventure forward. The insane action can come from the situations Indy finds himself it. The drama can either be a deeper exploration of Indy himself (though I'd perfer they didn't strip away his mystique completely) or his relationship with other characters.

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Ya think? If contradiction has a name...it must be DoomsdayFan.:D
Montana Smith said:
Indy's 20 year struggle to liberate the Ark of the Covenant from Area 51 begins by employing 5,000 lawyers engaged in a 19 year legal battle in the tensest court-room drama ever filmed. Thwarted at the last appeal Indy, now grizzled and looking like Moses, plays his final card: sitting astride a white horse he charges across Groom Lake leading an army of 20,000 Mongolian warriors whose leader he befriended many years before.

In the confusion George Lucas gets the film he always wanted to make: 25,000 aliens break out of captivity. Now it's up to Indy to decide whether to keep going after the Ark, or to save the world instead.
YEAH!!!(y):gun: that is epic montna adn after dat he could go after like de godlen monkee ting. Make the epic over the top epoic action adventure yeah! Salla could have like 100 kids by then and all the grankids could join the fight. Were talkin like another 1000 right there. EPIC. push the envlope!:gun:
DoomsdayFAN said:
(Not possible with CGI, but only through Practical FX; Imagine Top Gun with CGI jets. It wouldn't be exciting at all).
Imagine that! "Top Gun" *could* be improved by using CGI rather than using F-5s doubling as Russian MIGs.:rolleyes: Back in the day, that ruined the film for me (even though, in the mid-'80s, having access to a MIG for filming a movie was next to impossible). Doesn't bother me now...and most audiences probably were not aware nor cared at all.
DoomsdayFAN said:
As I was getting at earlier, I would like a very thick and rich dramatic arc that is well executed and delves even deeper into the lore of Indiana Jones. Something vibrant and engaging, like his relationship to his father was in LC.

As for the dramatic arc, I just want a really engaging story that's thought provoking and really pulls you in. Not just shallow brainless action. I mean, what is action without some drama?
You started this whole conversation by suggesting that Indy 5 should "go back" to "actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventures" and mentioned a drama element. This was absurd on your part. The serials are "brainless" so WHERE (in '30s serials) is this dramatic factor you keep mentioning?:confused: (Please, don't dodge the question again.)

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
They might have followed the Raiders template too closely, but they followed it even closer with Last Crusade and the result was for my money a much better film. I do not disagree with your position that the Beards could stand to take more risks, but the originality of Indy4 as an issue is for me so subordinate to the limp execution that I don't even really take it into consideration when I evaluate the film. Whatever degree that Indy4 is a retread of what came before is nowhere near the movie's biggest mistake. I'm simply incapable of worrying about treating the patient's sprained ankle when he has a brain tumor.

And anyway, most would agree that Indy4 did anything but capture the look and feel of Raiders, which calls into question how much of a bearing the re-use of the original's "format" really has. What do you call Raiders' format, anyhow?

That really depends on what your position is. You are much more critical of KOTCS than I tend to be. You find the flaws to be more fundamental, which is of course your prerogative. I don't have an issue with the technical merits of the movie per se; rather (for me anyhow) it's about the artistic justification of continuing the series. That's why I find KOTCS biggest failing to be that it attempted to do little new with the format.

Re. The Raiders format for me is all the tropes that the sequels have (one way or another) used... be it a treasure hunt (against the clock) with Indy pitted against Nazi's/Commies, a whip swing with the Indy fanfare, a chase scene containing leaps from one vehicle to another, a crumbling temple, Indy riding his horse in pursuit, a spectacular sunset, a one on one fist fight with a villain etc. etc. Not that I have an issue with this - as it's these things that make an Indiana Jones film... but for a fourth movie I'd just have appreciated it more if they'd attempted to do away with the tried and tested tropes and done something a bit different. Credit to Lucas, he tried to introduce aliens into the mix... but it seems that didn't work for Spielberg/Ford.

Stoo said:
You started this whole conversation by suggesting that Indy 5 should "go back" to "actual 30s cliffhanger serial-type adventures" and mentioned a drama element. This was absurd on your part. The serials are "brainless" so WHERE (in '30s serials) is this dramatic factor you keep mentioning?:confused: (Please, don't dodge the question again.)
Reading between the lines I think DoomsdayFAN probably means more a sense of peril/danger than he does drama... but maybe I'm being too diplomatic. ;)

Indy 5 should have a running gag where every character Indy meets from the previous 4 films incredulously asks him why at 70 years old he is wearing the same clothes and acting the same way he did when he was 35.

Raiders90

replican't said:
Indy 5 should have a running gag where every character Indy meets from the previous 4 films incredulously asks him why at 70 years old he is wearing the same clothes and acting the same way he did when he was 35.

YAH CAUSE IT'S 2011 AND THE DARK KNIGHT IS DA BEST FILM EVER IN WORLD HISTORY OH HEATH LEDGERRR BEST ACTOR OF ALL TIMEE

moon_tan

Going off topic, I will agree with that. Health Ledger was so different in every film he did. The homophobics don't like Heath in Brokeback Mountain, but it really was a great performance. The movie had its flaws, but Health and Jake gave it their best shot. I understand, not exactly the kind of film you can watch with your wife around. Heath was also excellent in Casanova and A Knight's Tale. His performance in A Dark Knight was very chilling. He really absorbed himself into the role. I think they call that a Method Actor. It's too bad his heart couldn't make it through his problem. He would have continued to be the best, versatile actor of our time.

DoomsdayFAN

Darth Vile said:
Reading between the lines I think DoomsdayFAN probably means more a sense of peril/danger than he does drama... but maybe I'm being too diplomatic. ;)

No, you're right, but Stoo is just trying to provoke me. :sleep:

Is Lucas still at work on any Star Wars stuff? Because I remember reading somewhere that Spielberg (I believe it was) was saying how when Lucas was finished with Star Wars he would move right into Indy V. For the love of God, I hope it happens. I just hope we get it within the next 2-3 years.

Indy's brother

DoomsdayFAN said:
I remember reading somewhere that Spielberg (I believe it was) was saying how when Lucas was finished with Star Wars he would move right into Indy V.

I'm not familiar with that quote, but I hope it's not true. The day that George Lucas will be done fiddle-farting around with Star Wars will be the day that George Lucas dies.

Mickiana

I take the GL thing as positive. It seems to indicate a schedule. And a schedule means a plan. And a plan means a germ of an idea. And a germ of an idea... Hang on, what the hell???!!!!

The Drifter

Mickiana said:
And a germ of an idea... Hang on, what the hell???!!!!

And then ole Georgie-poo himself will point the bottle of Lysol at that idea, and spray the Hell outta of it until that germ of an idea dies with a small scream.

Mickiana

Had to look up what Lysol is.:eek: Disinfectant indeed! What George needs is an Infectant - of enthusiasm and a bit of fan pleasing!:D