"Eye-talian"

Raiders90

In Hollywood Follies, Indy refers to the Italian prince he and the others kidnap as an "Eye-talian" prince. That kind of annoyed me, for two reasons. One, saying "Eye-Talian" instead of "It-talian" is a bit improper, and kind of insulting, and secondly, shouldn't an educated man like Indy know that Italians are called "It-Talians", not "Eye-Talians"?

Bahari

lol

Well yeah, i guess it's a bit wierd. Especially since Indy has even been posted in "Eye-taly" :rolleyes:

Still it's not as bad as when people say A-rabs, or even worse "I-rabs" (For Iranians).

ATMachine

Yeah, it's definitely weird that Indy, who's been in Italy, should be so provincial as to say "Eye-talian." I would've thought that, having traveled around the world at the age of 10, and thus having experienced so many different cultures, he'd be a bit more cosmopolitan than that.

I mean, my grandfather says it that way, but he was born in the American South during the Depression and never went to college, much less embarked on a world tour designed to make him a worldly young man.

Junior Jones

I don't remember, but how did the other characters pronounce it? Maybe he said it that way just to fit in. You know, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Montana Smith

Junior Jones said:
I don't remember, but how did the other characters pronounce it? Maybe he said it that way just to fit in. You know, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

I like what you did there, JJ.

As Captain Bertorelli would have said to Indy, "What a mistake-a to make-a!"

alloallopa_468x313.jpg

I'm pretty sure Indy would only mispronounce something in order not to appear out of place.

Raiders90

I realized upon watching again that he said it sarcastically, and the others around him were pronouncing it "Eye-Talian" so I guess it was sarcasm, frustration, along with ''when in Rome...'' on Indy's part.

Yure

Uhm... I'm Italian and I don't find this offensive or insulting... it's kind of a recurring joke, probably going back to Italian immigrants who didn't know how to properly pronounce their own nationality. I remember this joke on The Simpsons (Wiggum: you filthy Eye-talians! Lou: Chief! Wiggum: I'm sorry, you filthy Eye-talian-Americans!). I see no difference from the
-Run like the w-I-nd
- It's pronounced "It's wind!"
- Well I've only seen it written!
(also featured on both The Simpsons and, if I recall correctly, Family Guy).

indyclone25

depends i guess on your upbringing i'm half mexican and italian and my dad being italian was 3 rd generation and always said EYE-talian, took me years in high school to stop saying it that way.but then again my dad also said tagger instead of tiger.

Yure

... that brings us to the....
EYE OF THE TIGER!

TANG TA TA TAAANG
TA TA TAANG
TA TA TAAAAAAAAAAAANG

80s rule :D

Stoo

Ha, Yure! "Eye of the Tiger" is that SH*T song from "Rocky III" by Survivor!:sick: Sometimes the '80s DON'T rule!:p

Re: 'Eye-talian'. Most of my American friends, relatives & colleagues say 'Eye-rack' instead of 'Iraq' (even one who did a tour of duty there).:p