Lost Ark Journal

A while back I think I ran across a post where someone had made some sort of packet that had all the info and inserts so one could make his/her own Lost Ark Journal. I can't seem to locate any info about this now. Does anyone know what I am talking about and/or who to contact to get one of these packets?

Hey! That's it! Now how do I go about contacting this PropReplicator fellow? Last time I tried to sign up at Indygear they wouldn't let me as I only have a hotmail email account.......

Rick5150

I sent PropReplicator (Wayne) an email and the link to this post. Hopefully he will respond or at worst give me an e-mail address that I can forward to you. Good luck...

Thank you very much! I look forward at trying my hand at making one of these props! Thanks again!!!!

PropReplicator

Did someone call my name? :D

There are some pics here of the kit in question:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=PropReplicator&album_id=131556

The kit contains:
* The complete text (includes directions on where to place the drawings)
* All of the drawings and hieroglyphs that need to be drawn into the book. (Can be copied by hand or traced into the book using transfer paper.)
* Instructions on where to find a blank journal that, with some modifications, will look like the one in the film
* photograph inserts
* a map of India (referenced in the journal)
* a letter from a colleague (referenced in the journal)

The kit is $50, shipped. I accept PayPal at wayne.miller@acu.edu, or money orders.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rick!
Wayne

IndyJohan said:
I just made my own journal for my own studies.

How did it turn out? What did you include in your ark diary? I was thinking of perhaps getting a blank grail diary and starting it out with the kit from PropReplicator (I just sent you an email by the way) for the first part of the book and then continuing on with it from my own readings I have done in other books on other theories besides the Tanis one.

Rick5150

Thanks for the heads-up, Rick!
You are welcome Wayne.It is great to see you here. Anybody who is not familiar with PropReplicators work will be blown away by the amount of actual research and detail that has gone into this kit. It is not a silly story that some fan made up. It makes for great reading as well as an excellent prop. There will be no disappointed customers here, I guarantee it.

PropReplicator

VP said:
Welcome, PR.
Thanks, VP. (Do I know you under another screenname, by chance?:))

Also, I just noticed the "No Solicitations" rule. I'm sorry if I crossed the line with my reply. Please feel free to edit it out, if needed.

Thanks,
Wayne

Rick5150 said:
... will be blown away by the amount of actual research and detail that has gone into this kit. It is not a silly story that some fan made up. It makes for great reading as well as an excellent prop. There will be no disappointed customers here, I guarantee it.

I'm glad to hear that! I just placed an order for one of those kits.

What type of pen should be used when writing one of these diaries up?

PropReplicator

007 said:
What type of pen should be used when writing one of these diaries up? [/B]

There are two minds on that.

1) Some think it should be done in pencil. The theory being that the pencil Indy has stuck in the diary came with the diary when Abner sent it to him and was probably what Abner had been using.

2) Some use a quill tipped pen, to get that same writing style seen in Henry's Grail diary.

Either one is "accurate" since the only pages we really get a decent look at are the blank ones Indy is writing in when he uses the transit in Raiders. :)

Wayne

I never really thought about pencil before.... but I will go with a quill tipped pen since I'm going to write it in a blank grail diary and add onto it, at least that's the plan anyway. Kind of have my own unique lost ark diary.

Alright, now that I've ordered the kit and found myself a journal that i like, does one age the pages of the book before or after writing and drawing in them? And do you find that the lemon juice/sugar water and iron method seem to work the best? I read somewhere, I think it was on Indygear, that one can use dry powdered paint, but it seems as if this would rub off?

PropReplicator

007 said:
Alright, now that I've ordered the kit and found myself a journal that i like, does one age the pages of the book before or after writing and drawing in them? And do you find that the lemon juice/sugar water and iron method seem to work the best? I read somewhere, I think it was on Indygear, that one can use dry powdered paint, but it seems as if this would rub off?
I've tried 'em all, and this is what I think works best/easiest. It is done AFTER putting the text and drawings in the book. (Make sure you use a water-resistant ink!)

1) Mix up some acrylic paints and water to get a very thin mix of what looks like coffee with a LOT of cream in it. This is what will go on first. Put this in a cheap spritzer bottle.

2) DO THIS PART QUICKLY. Spritz a pair of pages lightly with the paint (you still want quite a bit of white showing through), close the book to make the pages' patterns mirror images of each other, then dab off (don't rub) the excess paint with a cotton cloth. Dabbing it off keeps the paper from getting saturated and wrinkled and it also keeps the splotches more natural-looking.

3) Keeping the book open with paper clips or rubber bands, let this set of pages dry. Continue your way through the book this way.

4) Mix up a second batch of acrylic and water. You're looking for a slightly darker color this time, but not too dark. Sometimes, I add a bit of reddish color to it just to change it up from the first color.

5) Spritz, close, and dab off, just like before, but in an even lighter coat. You want the pages to be mostly the lighter color with small splotches and dots of the darker color in irregular patterns. Again, let each set of pages dry completely before moving to the next set.

6) Now weather the outer edges with the two colors of mix. Don't use too much. A little goes a long way, and too much will wrinkle your edges.

7) Finally, weather the outside cover of your book in the same way. (You may want to roughen up the edges and corners of your book with some high-grit sandpaper first.) Again, don't use too much paint mixture. Too much here could possibly loosen the glue used to hold your cover material on the backing board.

Hope that helps!

Wayne