New Twist on the Selleck Debate?

Chewbacca Jones

I was letting my mind wander, as it seems to enjoy doing that quite a bit, and I got hung up on the letter Q (long story), which led me to Quigley Down Under, and Tom Selleck. And then, a thought struck me.

We often discuss, debate, and postulate how things might be different for the Indy series had Selleck been cast as Indy, and if the sequels would have been made. But what about the other side of that coin? I mean, lets suppose that Tom Selleck's Indy, though different, led to approximately the same amount of success for the character and the actor. Would we Indy fans be debating with Star Wars fans about whether or not Harrison would've been a good Indy? Would Tom Selleck have become Jack Ryan and Rick Deckard?

To go a step even further, what if Harrison Ford had gone on to star in some of Selleck's more well known pictures? Imagine that version of High Road to China and Runaway. And how about Three Men and a Baby? That's one I would have enjoyed, I think. Can you picture HF in all those westerns, or as Rachel's boyfriend on Friends! :rolling: Would those have been better? Worse? As successful?

What do you guys and dolls think? Anything from Tom's filmography that you would like to have seen with Ford, or vice verse? Any role that you think would have been improved or destroyed by such a karmic flip?

The idea of Harrison in some of those Selleck roles is a good twist. He would probably bring his sarcastic "wit" and smirks to the role.

The tone would definitely change...

Indy1Jones2

I Like Both Of Them. Tom Would Do Good As Indy. I Can See Harrison Doing Westerns, He Had A Part On Gunsmoke. I Can't Remember Which Ep Though. I Just Remember Seeing Him.

Montana Smith

Selleck is more suited to the small screen. Ford has more big sreen presence, even when he's not doing much. Maybe it has something to do with Ford's back-list of major movies, that gives him more credibility.

Since Magnum P.I. was Selleck's alternative to Raiders, maybe he would have played Indy like Magnum? The series would have been much more light-hearted throughout, and much less earnest in places.

Mickiana

As likable as Tom is, I don't think he would have been as versatile as Harrison. Harrison really owned Indiana Jones. But I'm still up for a future reboot with a younger Indiana, played by someone suitable, set in the earlier decades, 20s, 30s and 40s.

Raiders90

I think Tom would've made for a good Indy, a more nuanced portrayal of him. I read in the Making Of book they auditioned something like 250 men and Tom was the one they picked. And both of them wanted Selleck in the role. That says something.

I think Tom Selleck as Indy would've been more rogue-ish, in the classic sense; Think Clark Gable in Gone with the Wind.

I wonder if they would've made him shave his famous mustache for the role?
144413.jpg

g_selleck_01.jpg

JackBurton

It would be a really nice alternative if the both actors switched lifes (roles). I think Ford would also be a great Jesse Stone.

Btw, Selleck was Monicas friend, not Rachels ;)

Dr. Gonzo

Well let's twist it even further... how bout the two of them in a film together donning their respective legendary roles gear...

I give you

the CHIP AND DALE movie!

chipdale2.jpg

Finn

Staff member
Okay, I don't know what weirds me out more. That I used to like that show as a kid but up to this date never really made that connection (because now, gah, it feels so obvious) - or the fact that I kinda want to see this happen now.

Webley

I can see Selleck playing the adventurous Indy but have a hard time picturing him as Doc Jones college professor.