KOTCS: FAQ Thread

oki9Sedo

Anyone have any questions about the movie? Here's the place to ask them.
I have one:

How did the Russians get down the three waterfalls to Akator? They didn't pull the same sh*t as Marion did they?

WeAreGoingToDie

I thought there was a deleted concept/scene in which Indy notices the safe path off to the side of the waterfall as they make their decent in the boat.

This is the same path the Russians take.

James

oki9Sedo said:
How did the Russians get down the three waterfalls to Akator? They didn't pull the same sh*t as Marion did they?

They followed a path down by the waterfalls. It's also how Oxley first discovered Akator. This is briefly addressed in a line of dialogue while everyone is in the duck. (It's either before or after the first waterfall drop.)

Oxley: The way down...
Mutt: He means by land. He came by land.

sandiegojones

James said:
They followed a path down by the waterfalls. It's also how Oxley first discovered Akator. This is briefly addressed in a line of dialogue while everyone is in the duck. (It's either before or after the first waterfall drop.)

Oxley: The way down...
Mutt: He means by land. He came by land.
Exactly. The Russians walked down.

WeAreGoingToDie

Well, to keep the boulder rolling:

Q: How many UFO crashes were mentioned in the film?

Q: What command does Spalko give to open the warehouse doors? (I know this scene has been misread as her using telekinesis to open the doors)

Q: How old would the character of Oxley be in relation to Jones and Marion during their years in Chicago?

oki9Sedo

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Well, to keep the boulder rolling:

Q: How many UFO crashes were mentioned in the film?

Q: What command does Spalko give to open the warehouse doors? (I know this scene has been misread as her using telekinesis to open the doors)

Q: How old would the character of Oxley be in relation to Jones and Marion during their years in Chicago?

Are these test questions? That wasn't really the point, but anyway.

WeAreGoingToDie

Well, these were questions I had on my mind, and the only way to find them out would be to have prior knowledge of character bios, foreign languages or keen observance of the film. Maybe this is more of an IFQ (infrequently asked questions) :hat:

oki9Sedo

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Well, these were questions I had on my mind, and the only way to find them out would be to have prior knowledge of character bios, foreign languages or keen observance of the film. Maybe this is more of an IFQ (infrequently asked questions) :hat:

I recall Spalko mentioning three UFO crashes in the Soviet Union.

RaideroftheArk

[edit] Ok then...so then there is a total of 4 crash sites.

Doesn't Spalko just say a command in Russian causing the Russian soliders to blow up the power box that keeps the hanger doors locked?

[edit] Ok then...Indy and Ox were peers...that's right I remember him saying "you were never this interesting."

How's that?

Last edited:

James

I thought Spalko just mentioned "similar crash sites" in the USSR.

The implication seems to be that Indy and Oxley were peers ("we went to school together"), and therefore relatively close to the same age. However, Indy seems to have a respect for him that suggests Oxley may have been a few years his senior.

sandiegojones

oki9Sedo said:
I recall Spalko mentioning three UFO crashes in the Soviet Union.
Yes, Russians have their own "Roswell" stories. All the more reason that the Russians made good villains for this story. The did have alien research, they did try to use mind control devices and the fear of a communist takeover was real in the 50's.

She mentioned that their aliens did not have crystal skulls and the reason that they wanted the Roswell alien in Hangar 51 was because they believed it to be similar to the Akator myth.

As far as Oxley is concerned I assumed that Prof. Ravenwood was their teacher at the University of Chicago and that's how they knew each other and had relationships with Marion.

deckard24

How exactly was Indy cleared by the Feds of his suspicious activities, and how was both he and Charlie reinstated to their positions at the university?

The Man

deckard24 said:
How exactly was Indy cleared by the Feds of his suspicious activities, and how was both he and Charlie reinstated to their positions at the university?

He easily convinced them that Spalko and Mac would no longer be a problem, having been sucked into an interdimensional-alien portal which was activated by returning a psychic, magnetic head to the body of a crystalline extraterrestrial. Happens all the bloody time...

WeAreGoingToDie

deckard24 said:

I'm assuming a detailed report (although altered for the sake of the US Government believing it) was given by Indy with corroborating evidence by witnesses (Mutt, Marion & Oxley). Any blame or punishment that would have gone to Indy went to Mac (after evidence was found that he was the double agent).

James

WeAreGoingToDie said:
I'm assuming a detailed report (although altered for the sake of the US Government believing it) was given by Indy with corroborating evidence by witnesses (Mutt, Marion & Oxley). Any blame or punishment that would have gone to Indy went to Mac (after evidence was found that he was the double agent).

There's also the remaining evidence in the jungle- including destroyed Russian vehicles and the crate containing the Roswell alien. Since that's what Indy was accused of helping them steal in the first place...

Indy and Oxley also discovered the gravesite of Orellana- a find of significant archaeological importance. Such a discovery would've gone a long way towards establishing US credibility in the field- an image that would've been highly desirable in the Cold War era. (And one that would have warranted a promotion at the college.)

WeAreGoingToDie

Thanks James! I had forgotten the US Gov't had no idea of the Crystal Skulls and that Orellana was still left intact. Although the deleted scene of the floor giving way would have lost the bodies had they fallen through the floor.

The Man

Does Indy suggest at some point that the Skull itself isn't actually crystal..? I think it's when Mutt's switchblade is pulled towards it...*

*Apologies if this constitutes a really dumb question...