George Lucas tweaks Star Wars yet again

Henry W Jones

My issue is the only changes that were necessary other than TPM Yoda were not done and a bunch of useless crap thrown in like Vader's No's. I could live with the extras like Vaders Nooo's in ROTJ if they would have fixed the dialog between Luke and Leia about her remembering her mother. That is an easy fix. Also was hoping Anakin's spirit would be put back to the original or they at least would have digitally aged Hayden in the scene. I also liked Boba having the same voice as his father (He is an exact clone) and the actor delivered the lines in the same cadence. So shouldn't the stormtroopers have the same voice? I am canceling my Blu Rays because I own The original's on DVD and VHS, 1997 SE on VHS, 2004 SE Edition on DVD and can't see buying this set because obviously George Lucas thinks his fans are morons and will keep re-doing Star Wars if we keep paying him to do so. I'm tapped out George.

Sharkey

Henry W Jones said:
if they would have fixed the dialog between Luke and Leia about her remembering her mother. That is an easy fix.
Sure thats a real easy fix. What frickin planet of genius are you living on.

Henry W Jones said:
obviously George Lucas thinks his fans are morons
Some of them are morons even if they dont get the blurays.

JP Jones

Why not a change we can all agree is welcome. All of the lightsaber color problems have been fixed and they will all be consistent. Damn you for listening to fans, George! Damn you!:rolleyes:

Henry W Jones

Sharkey said:
Sure thats a real easy fix. What frickin planet of genius are you living on.

Some of them are morons even if they dont get the blurays.

Very insightful. Once again Sh*tty, I mean Sharkey

phantom train

This is an edited version of a post I made on another board recently:

Though I know a lot of people are upset about Vader's "No" in the forthcoming Blu-ray DVD release, the biggest issue I have with this release is that a glaring effects mistake/error in A New Hope will still not be fixed:

Obi-wan's lightsabre flickering out at various times during the DV/Obi-wan battle on the Death Star is, IMHO, the most glaring mistake/error in the entire OT. Even back in the day, this marred that otherwise iconic scene for me. As far as I know, the only reason for this error(s) was the special effects limitations back in '75/'76 when the movie was first filmed (or, rather, when the effects were later added).

I was dissapointed that this wasn't fixed for the '97 SE. And, I was even more dissapointed that it wasn't fixed for the 2004 DVD release.

Note that the lightsabre effects on the Falcon (while Luke is training) were improved in at least the 2004 DVD release - granted, the lightsabre appears to be green-ish at times, but it still looked better than the completely white lightsabre it had been previously.

Also, the Darth Vader lightsabre effects during the Obi-wan battle were improved in at least the 2004 DVD version - this is especially notable when DV walks towards the closing blast doors w/his lit lightsabre.

In any case, it's strange that this extremely obvious & glaring lightsabre error will not be fixed/tweaked for the Blu-ray release. Very strange, since this would seem to be an obvious candidate for improving. I'm not an FX expert by any means, but how difficult would this have been to do?! Lflm. made plenty of other changes/additions in the films that seemed much more complicated/elaborate, i.e. the added scenes in Mos Eisley with the Ronto(s), additional street scenes, etc.; the much more advanced/improved attack on the DS with the X-wings (including seeing into the cockpits of the X-wing fighters); the added scenes in Cloud City (both outside & inside); the added/changed scenes in the Jabba's Palace sequences; the ending celebrations (in ROTJ) on the various planets, etc.

Too bad, since I would actually purchase a Blu-ray Player (which I don't have yet) for the sole purpose of buying these films on Blu-ray if this mistake had been fixed...

Last edited:

dr.jones1986

phantom train said:
This is an edited version of a post I made on another board recently:

Though I know a lot of people are upset about Vader's "No" in the forthcoming Blu-ray DVD release, the biggest issue I have with this release is that a glaring effects mistake/error in A New Hope will still not be fixed:

Obi-wan's lightsabre flickering out at various times during the DV/Obi-wan battle on the Death Star is, IMHO, the most glaring mistake/error in the entire OT. Even back in the day, this marred that otherwise iconic scene for me. As far as I know, the only reason for this error(s) was the special effects limitations back in '75/'76 when the movie was first filmed (or, rather, when the effects were later added).

I was dissapointed that this wasn't fixed for the '97 SE. And, I was even more dissapointed that it wasn't fixed for the 2004 DVD release.

Note that the lightsabre effects on the Falcon (while Luke is training) were improved in at least the 2004 DVD release - granted, the lightsabre appears to be green-ish at times, but it still looked better than the completely white lightsabre it had been previously.

Also, the Darth Vader lightsabre effects during the Obi-wan battle were improved in at least the 2004 DVD version - this is especially notable when DV walks towards the closing blast doors w/his lit lightsabre.

In any case, it's strange that this extremely obvious & glaring lightsabre error will not be fixed/tweaked for the Blu-ray release. Very strange, since this would seem to be an obvious candidate for improving. I'm not an FX expert by any means, but how difficult would this have been to do?! Lflm. made plenty of other changes/additions in the films that seemed much more complicated/elaborate, i.e. the added scenes in Mos Eisley with the Ronto(s), additional street scenes, etc.; the much more advanced/improved attack on the DS with the X-wings (including seeing into the cockpits of the X-wing fighters); the added scenes in Cloud City (both outside & inside); the added/changed scenes in the Jabba's Palace sequences; the ending celebrations (in ROTJ) on the various planets, etc.

Too bad, since I would actually purchase a Blu-ray Player (which I don't have yet) for the sole purpose of buying these films on Blu-ray if this mistake had been fixed...
It is strange that those other things, which you think would be easier to change, have not yet been fixed. He makes changes that don't need to be done and instead should fix up those lightsaber effects in ANH. That always bothered me and should have been fixed years ago.

AndyLGR

I cant think of any other movie series where so many different versions have been released over the years on their respective formats. What will this blu ray be? The 4th version of these movies? The 5th? The 6th?

Anyway these new changes dont bother me too much, even Vader's no's. I think the main ones for me were the dody effects scenes as mentioned previously (specifically the lightsabers and the black matte lines on some effects), Greedo shooting first is a shocker obviously, the addition of Jabba to ANH and the footage they used in ESB with Vader landing on the Executor after leaving Cloud City, this was clearly a left over from ROTJ as you still get the Death Star commander waiting for him at the bottom of the ramp. Puppet Yoda in TPM too.

But I'm very much looking forward to these blu rays and they will mean that I now go out and get a blu ray player as I dont own one yet.

SW and Indy are the only movies that hold such a place in my life that I would buy these multiple releases over the years. Classics, and I hope to keep on enjoying them.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Entering George's universe is akin to a Faustian pact.

At first everything in the garden is wonderful. But over time George will uproot some of your favourite plants and replace them with those that don't have quite the same pleasant scent.

George's garden is ever-changing, because at any point in time it reflects his current attitude.

If you fall in love with his universe you have to take the rough end of the pineapple. That's the pact.

Montana Smith said:
If you fall in love with his universe you have to take the rough end of the pineapple. That's the pact.
It's where you take it that tends to be the sore spot, uh...just watch where you sit, and don't get comfortable...

"A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

I was watching the Red Letter Media Plinkett review of "Phantom" again last night...tee hee.

Henry W Jones

JP Jones said:
Why not a change we can all agree is welcome. All of the lightsaber color problems have been fixed and they will all be consistent. Damn you for listening to fans, George! Damn you!:rolleyes:

I think that is false. Pretty sure on that. The clips I've seen Vader still has bubble gum pink light saber. Obi-wans light saber goes white to blue and to purple in Vader duel. We will see. I hope you are right cuz it looks like he just dropped useless extras on us. So far the only changes that seem like improvements is TPM Yoda and blinking ewoks. Also Greedo doesn't shoot first but at the same time now.

phantom train

Henry W Jones said:
I think that is false. Pretty sure on that. The clips I've seen Vader still has bubble gum pink light saber. Obi-wans light saber goes white to blue and to purple in Vader duel. We will see. I hope you are right cuz it looks like he just dropped useless extras on us. So far the only changes that seem like improvements is TPM Yoda and blinking ewoks. Also Greedo doesn't shoot first but at the same time now.

Correct - the lightsaber problems in A New Hope have not been fixed in the upcoming Blu-ray, especially the DV/Obi-wan duel which is still flawed (see my last post for more details).

Re: Greedo shooting at roughly the same time as Han Solo, if memory serves this was in the 2004 DVD as well, though it's possible it was changed even more for the Blu-ray (I haven't seen the new clip for this yet).

JP Jones

With all the rumors going about, you really just have to wait for the blu-ray to see what has actually been changed. Judging things based on random youtube videos isn't right.

kongisking

featofstrength said:
"A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

I was watching the Red Letter Media Plinkett review of "Phantom" again last night...tee hee.

Yeah...that guy recently went a long way towards convincing me of the prequel's trash-ness. He's pretty damn funny, but has very good points too. And watch his review of JJ Abrams' Star Trek. It contains an epic WTF!

Montana Smith

Has Ponda Baba's blood been edited out yet?

starwars-dismemberments-2.jpg

That was a 'mistake' that bugged me from the first time I saw it. I couldn't understand why the lightsaber hadn't instantly cauterized the cut, preventing any blood loss.

Funny, then tedious, then funny again...

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JkPKZhXth7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Henry W Jones

Henry W Jones said:
My issue is the only changes that were necessary other than TPM Yoda were not done and a bunch of useless crap thrown in like Vader's No's. I could live with the extras like Vaders Nooo's in ROTJ if they would have fixed the dialog between Luke and Leia about her remembering her mother. That is an easy fix. Also was hoping Anakin's spirit would be put back to the original or they at least would have digitally aged Hayden in the scene. I also liked Boba having the same voice as his father (He is an exact clone) and the actor delivered the lines in the same cadence. So shouldn't the stormtroopers have the same voice? I am canceling my Blu Rays because I own The original's on DVD and VHS, 1997 SE on VHS, 2004 SE Edition on DVD and can't see buying this set because obviously George Lucas thinks his fans are morons and will keep re-doing Star Wars if we keep paying him to do so. I'm tapped out George.

I changed my mind about cancelling. While I agree with my statement still, I have seen the new versions and it is still tolerable to watch. My thoughts are this. 1) Lucas will not release the original prints and we all know this is most likely. 2) I've read that he plans to further change the films and I am picking up blurays before he changes it more and the movie is ruined beyond repair by useless changes. 3) My set is a b-day gift so it is free. Lucas only added one worthy change this time. Yoda looks great in TPM. This will be the last copies I buy unless we are all forced into another medium for viewing films.

Last edited: