Dreams about Indiana Jones IV

-Jones-

replican't said:
I dreamt that Indy was repeatedly punching my mother in the face. I woke up with an erection.

Skipped the first part. That's quite normal for a healthy male to wake up with an erection.

misnomer

glad Im not the only one- I had a very weird Indy 4 dream, but it was like two years ago. The beards and ford are in an austrian castle, theyre sitting around a table coming up with a name for the new movie- they settled on "Indiana Jones and The Love of God" LOL I'm not even religious but that is one sucky title.

Tom Cook

Forgive my gratuitious analysis. I am a medstudent planning to go into psychiatry. This is all very juicy stuff for me. (y)

It seems that the males on this board tend to have dreams of their ideal-hero character losing his masculinity. We do not know Spielberg/Lucas and have no personal-basis for trusting that they will not harm the hero which, in our minds, was only coincidentally 'created' by them. Jones has a sort of mythical transcendence to him, and it's very hard to keep in mind that one or two human minds were responsible for creating him.

This fear of the hero's-downfall is a primal fear. It could, perhaps, heighten our ability to enjoy this movie, because in our state of wonder&doubt, Jones's masculinity/sexiness will satisfy us all the more. But in the meantime unconscious attempts at supression/denial of this fear is expressed in nightmares. The dream about standing around with your masculine friends, affirming Jones's every-man appearance, and his incontinence, is the best example. As far as Jones punching your mother, to me this sounds like part of you is desperately responding to your fear, saying 'no matter what he does, or what they make him do, he's still my hero!'. I also like the dream about watching alone at an abandoned drive-in. It's like you are unconsciously questioning your own fanaticism for Jones, and the apparent lack of interest in those around you.

It's also interesting that for females here, there seems to be in general less subconscious fear that the masculine-hero archetype will lose his masculinity. Girls are more comfortable w/ an older Jones.

Am I completely off-target?

|ZiR|

All my dreams about KotCS seem to involve me somehow not being able to see it while it's in theaters through a tragic twist of fate. Occasionally it's that I lapse into a coma, or am kidnapped by sexy terrorists; sometimes I die a firey death, or my eyeballs fall out, etc. The sky's the limit, and the enemy. (Meteors.)

The craziest dream I've had included the Raven. A picture leaked of Mutt & Indy kissing. The upoar was explosive, though I'd like to point out that a few were happy because it meant Mutt wasn't his son...

Mine is WEIRD:

You mean HOT.

-Jones- said:
Skipped the first part. That's quite normal for a healthy male to wake up with an erection.

Thank God. All these years I've thought I was a freak. :V

Tom Cook said:
Forgive my gratuitious analysis. I am a medstudent planning to go into psychiatry. This is all very juicy stuff for me.
(y)

You're forgiven. Best post this thread could result in.

Zorg

|ZiR| said:
All my dreams about KotCS seem to involve me somehow not being able to see it while it's in theaters through a tragic twist of fate. Occasionally it's that I lapse into a coma, or am kidnapped by sexy terrorists; sometimes I die a firey death, or my eyeballs fall out, etc.

Jeez, your nights must be very interesting. ;)

I did have Indy dream one night a while ago. I was listening his lecture, guess it was the one from ROTLA.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Tom Cook said:
Forgive my gratuitious analysis. I am a medstudent planning to go into psychiatry. This is all very juicy stuff for me. (y)

Am I completely off-target?

Seems to me you're refering to the whole cinema voyeurism theory (Laura Mulvey's essay on spectatorship in the cinema pretty much said what you've applied to these dreams), where males see themselves as the hero and females want to be with the hero (in my case, however I don't fancy Indy, I fancy Mutt, even though I don't know much about the character, so I would say you might be a little off with the generalisation that the girls are comfortable with an older hero).

But again, this older hero thing could be refered to the whole Freud thing of the female looking for the equilavent of her father, when she realises she must replace her father with a man of equal integrity. Perhaps that's why they would feel "comfortable" with an older man. A young man is still finding his feet and is uncertain, therefore making a girl uncomfortable, and unsure of herself, there is no protection. Why I myself haven't dated anyone in a while, I guess but at the same time, not wanting anyone way older or anything because I'm simply not ready and after a certain amount of distance in years in a guy (say a guy in late 20s and a teenager girl), where I personally think it's wrong (please, don't go analysing me).

BTW, replicant probably didn't have that dream. His posts are usually sarcasm geared towards the thread. I wouldn't take that seriously.

Also my other dream had nothing to do with Mutt. It was to do with the ride being modified and looking terrible (fear that the film won't meet expectations, probably). Also there are other dreams in this thread being about going to the film itself (again, had a similar dream in which the film wouldn't end and it was continuously stuck in this one sequence, and I kept falling asleep in the dream). So I wouldn't put all these dreams back to sexuality, unless you're really that in Freudian theory.

Indy_Chic

xVendetta17x said:
Haha
I can picture it now
"Oh Indy, be gentle with me."

Haha! ...ok now I'm blushing even more now...:eek:

Violet Indy said:
Of course, then there are those dreams about Mutt, that for the same reasons as I_C, I won't post about. :eek:

Happy dreaming Violet! :D I had a dream about Shia a few weeks ago but it wasn't a romantic one exactly, we were time travelling and looking for an ancient book that contained secrets to some kind of treasure.

Kernunnos said:
That's ok. You can PM them to me. (y)

Heehee, you guys are such scoundrels!:p

Snakes

Indyfan4ever said:
Had a dream a while back that Spielberg wanted to direct Jurassic Park 4 and Indy 4 in the same movie. It ended with Indy on a falling branch and the rex running towards him at full speed (like the ending of JAWS). Indy is holding a rockt launcher and yells "You belong in a museum"...Boom:gun: , rex dies!

That is the most awesome dream I've ever heard of, I wish mine were as cool as that. They've got to have that scenario in a Indy comic or something, it's so good. I've had at least 2 dreams about seeing KOTCS. I remember the actual film was quite good in both. In the first I kept alternating between watching the film in a blank room with no chairs and people talking over the movie, and being in the film as Indy's sidekick.(Although the people talking over the film remained:confused: ) In the other dream I accidentally missed seeing the movie at the premiere with Harrison Ford, and had to watch it on DVD.

Tom Cook

I will look up Mulvey's essay. Never read it.

No, not too much into Freud myself. He was a 'brave' thinker but took things a little too far. If any writers have taught me about psychology it's Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and St.Thomas Aquinas. (All of them more on the 'conscious' side of things, however.)

You've had dreams that the movie might flop, or you might not like it, but my question is still, would a girl have a dream about Indy being embarrassingly old? My point is not that this equals less attraction per se, but that girls fundamentally conceive of Jones-the-mythical-hero in a different way, watching him with a genuine outside eye, instead of nervously identifying with him.

Violet Indy said:
But again, this older hero thing could be refered to the whole Freud thing of the female looking for the equivalent of her father, when she realises she must replace her father

I dunno, Jones doesn't seem like an accurate version of any earthly Father. I think of him more as a mythical hero and an archetype for doggedness, courage, wit, skill, and vulnerability. The closest version is perhaps found in Odysseus. Both are cynical, persevering types, and both have spunky women waiting for them after it's all over.

windgirlcruse

this was from last night.I had a dream about Mutt and I had several matches of fencing to each other. It was 3-3 even score of winning a fencing match. While talking to each other during break for the final match. Indy step in the room and challenge me to face him in final match of fencing. So I was gear up for the match.Then Mutt said "fight"! As I advance to Indy. Some how he pass my defense and got the final one point match. I walk up to him and shake hand. Indy offer me and Mutt to get ice cream. I got a vanilla cone,Mutt got chocolate cone, and Indy got a rocky road cone. Then we talk to each other while eat our ice cream. But last thing I remeber before waking up to go to school. It was Mutt ice cream cone fall on the ground and he begin to cry like a little boy then Indy got up and got another ice cream cone for him and wipe his tear with a white handkerchief and said to him " I always will do it because I love you like my own son.":eek: :eek:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Tom Cook said:
I will look up Mulvey's essay. Never read it.

No, not too much into Freud myself. He was a 'brave' thinker but took things a little too far. If any writers have taught me about psychology it's Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and St.Thomas Aquinas. (All of them more on the 'conscious' side of things, however.)

You've had dreams that the movie might flop, or you might not like it, but my question is still, would a girl have a dream about Indy being embarrassingly old? My point is not that this equals less attraction per se, but that girls fundamentally conceive of Jones-the-mythical-hero in a different way, watching him with a genuine outside eye, instead of nervously identifying with him.

I dunno, Jones doesn't seem like an accurate version of any earthly Father. I think of him more as a mythical hero and an archetype for doggedness, courage, wit, skill, and vulnerability. The closest version is perhaps found in Odysseus. Both are cynical, persevering types, and both have spunky women waiting for them after it's all over.

All very good, valid points. In your last point about Indy not being an earthly father, that's interesting. Perhaps it is a fantasy of a person who has a father who is vulnerable, I can't be quite sure, I only studied psychology in high school. I would assume you've read up on Joseph Campbell too? Perhaps Indy in such dreams could be related back to the mythical "adventurer" as an interpretative element of a dream. After all, look in any interpretive dream book, and it will have an entry for "adventurer". Movies have become our mythology, Campbell pretty much said that himself near end of his life, and because of that, we see characters, heroes and villains appear in our dreams replacing those myths of the past but still fulfilling the same interpretive purposes.

Do read Mulvey's essay. It is worth the read and though there are times where she goes as far as Freud, her points are perfectly clear and valid.

Tom Cook

This has to be one of the funniest threads on this board. And one of my favorites.

I love the one about the title 'Indiana Jones & the Love of God'. That's priceless. I think this is one of the threads that Spielberg/Lucas would probably enjoy perusing.

windgirlcruse said:
I got a vanilla cone,Mutt got chocolate cone, and Indy got a rocky road cone... Indy got up and got another ice cream cone for him and wipe his tear with a white handkerchief and said to him "I always will do it because I love you like my own son."

I agree w/ your subconscious, that if Jones were an ice cream, he would surely be rocky-road. Also it's interesting that Jones plays a sort of father figure in this dream. If in your dream you feel attracted to Mutt, despite his boyishness and wimpiness, it's as if, because of Indy, you have a sort of guarantee that Mutt will become a heroic-man like Indy. And so maybe the point is that even in Mutt's wimpiness, you feel secure? As though Mutt is a hero-surrogate?

Goodsport

I've had maybe 2-3 such dreams, all of which happened in the late 1990's (I think around 1997-98). None of them involved me sitting om a theater watching the movie but were all of the movie itself, though with a subconscious understanding that I was watching either a trailer for the next Indiana Jones movie or the movie itself.

The first involved Indiana Jones talking to Princess Leia (from A New Hope) on the moon without the benefit of astronaut gear. :confused: The other ones seemed like more conventional Indy action fare, but oddly started off very distinctly but faded off to where I couldn't recall how the "movie" ended.

Speaking of when I had those dreams: the late 1990's (particularly either 1998 or 1999) would've been the perfect time for the fourth Indy movie to have been released: far enough away from the militant political correctness of the early 1990's that would've hampered Indy's style (the same way it would've hampered James Bond's style had there been a James Bond film during that time), but still early enough for Harrison Ford to still have played a late 1930's, or perhaps an early-mid 1940's, Indiana Jones. Considering that I pretty much grew up on Harrison Ford movies and as much as I'm looking forward to KotCS, Ford's current advanced age further reminds me that I'm old! :(

-G

The_Raiders

I remember one too I had acouple nights ago, it was very quik so I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember me and Indy walking like in this ancient place, like in a very smalle cramped hallway, and Mutt was behind us, then Indy opened a door and all this light flooded in, but that's it.

No Ticket

Oddly enough, I haven't really had any dreams about Indiana Jones in a long long time. You'd think with KOTCS on the brain it would've triggered something. Seems like most of the time I have dreamless sleep, or at least, I don't remember what happened after waking up.

Goodsport

No Ticket said:
Oddly enough, I haven't really had any dreams about Indiana Jones in a long long time. You'd think with KOTCS on the brain it would've triggered something.

It's the same with me. I haven't had any Indy-related dreams since those aforementioned ones from the late 1990's, particularly not lately with KotCS on the horizon. :eek:

I suspect it could be because back then, I was so curious/worried when the next Indiana Jones film would be made or even if it ever would be, especially with the character's 100th birthday in 1999, that led my sleeping mind to come up with scenes for the next movie. However, now that I know that a new Indiana Jones movie is less than a month away, I suppose that my sleeping mind simply isn't worried about it. :)

-G

Indy Black

There's a new show on Discovery called the Verminator's and my sleeping brain mixed Indy,Mutt and a plot from the show last night.;)

Indy and Mutt where working as exterminators when they got a call about a house infested with red ants(of which I'm allergic too) and in the dream Mutt was afraid of.

Solution? Indy loaded the house full of bug bombs, tossed in two sticks of lit dynamite and ran like hell.:hat:

The house was leveled,Indy handed the family a bill for his work than took Mutt out to lunch.

Indyologist

Yep, I've had Indy 4 dreams. I can't remember any of them anymore because it's been a while since I've had one. Yeah, right-- now that I've wrote this I'll probably have one tonight! The ones I did have didn't make any sense and were just frustrating. All I can recall right now are the feelings the dreams caused. If I have any other dreams, I'll keep you posted.