Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs

AnnieJones

I am currently reading this book and I don't know if anyone noticed,but there was a line in the book very similar to a line in KOTCS( http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17625 ).
The line in the book,Walter Granger was saying this to Indy,is at the top of page 80,"Not even a Sears and Roebuck reaches this far out."
I thought that was a funny coincidence.

Last edited:

Goonie

Finished reading Dinosaur Eggs a couple of nights ago. It was pretty good, although the McGuffin was a little wierd. I half expected Alan Grant to show up at anytime. I started reading Hollow Earth now.

Lao_Che

Rocket Surgeon said:
I just interviewed Max McCoy for the Indy Cast...unless Ed has other plans listen for it next Episode!

I hope you asked what Lao Che's third son is called. :D

Lao_Che

Johnny Jones said:
Come on, I know you're an underworld crime boss, but can't you bother to keep track of your own children? :p

I'll give you a diamond if you can find it for me. ;) He's probably called Kao Kan and Chen like the other two.

Raiders90

I wish the novels were considered canon by Lucas. Unfortunately according to Lucas it seems, Indy did nothing between 1920 and 1935.

Raiders90

Rocket Surgeon said:
What makes you think he doesn't?

Well, for one, Indy's words in KOTCS seem to imply it's his first time coming across a crystal skull. Also, an interview with one of the Star Wars EU writers indicates that Lucas has a new attitude towards the EU--Only his vision, what he shows on film, is truly canon.

Also, there was an interview where he compared his relationship with the EU writers and fan community/world to the Holy Trinity, with himself or his vision or world as that of the Father, the EU as the Son, and the fan community as the Holy Ghost. He said he only concerns himself with the Father's world.

Here's his quote:

''I am the father of our Star Wars (1977) movie world - the filmed entertainment, the features and now the animated film and television series. And I'm going to do a live-action television series. Those are all things I am very involved in: I set them up and I train the people and I go through them all. I'm the father; that's my work. Then we have the licensing group, which does the games, toys and books, and all that other stuff. I call that the son - and the son does pretty much what he wants. Then we have the third group, the holy ghost, which is the bloggers and fans. They have created their own world. I worry about the father's world. The son and holy ghost can go their own way."

I've read he has been involved with Indy EU in the past--for example he said the EU writers couldn't touch the Indy/Marion relationship, and had Rob MacGregor edit and tame down a sex scene in one of his novels, and also stipulated at first that only Marcus could appear (later when Caiden and McCoy wrote he loosened up a bit). He also approved the Infernal Machine's storyline, and said they couldn't use a different storyline they had been working on as that would be in Indy4.

So I guess while he may consider the novels, games, etc canon, they're Secondary Canon, to his work (films, TV show) First Canon, whereas fan fiction or fan works isn't canon at all.

Last edited:
Raiders112390 said:
Well, for one, Indy's words in KOTCS seem to imply it's his first time coming across a crystal skull. Also, an interview with one of the Star Wars EU writers indicates that Lucas has a new attitude towards the EU--Only his vision, what he shows on film, is truly canon.
In light of the quote below, where is the interview with Lucas' "new attitude"?

Raiders112390 said:
Also, there was an interview where he compared his relationship with the EU writers and fan community/world to the Holy Trinity, with himself or his vision or world as that of the Father, the EU as the Son, and the fan community as the Holy Ghost. He said he only concerns himself with the Father's world.

Here's his quote:

''I am the father of our Star Wars (1977) movie world - the filmed entertainment, the features and now the animated film and television series. And I'm going to do a live-action television series. Those are all things I am very involved in: I set them up and I train the people and I go through them all. I'm the father; that's my work. Then we have the licensing group, which does the games, toys and books, and all that other stuff. I call that the son - and the son does pretty much what he wants. Then we have the third group, the holy ghost, which is the bloggers and fans. They have created their own world. I worry about the father's world. The son and holy ghost can go their own way."
I'm familiar with the quote...

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=471973&postcount=31
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=430617&postcount=72
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=437466&postcount=43

Raiders112390 said:
I've read he has been involved with Indy EU in the past--for example he said the EU writers couldn't touch the Indy/Marion relationship, and had Rob MacGregor edit and tame down a sex scene in one of his novels, and also stipulated at first that only Marcus could appear (later when Caiden and McCoy wrote he loosened up a bit). He also approved the Infernal Machine's storyline, and said they couldn't use a different storyline they had been working on as that would be in Indy4.

So I guess while he may consider the novels, games, etc canon, they're Secondary Canon, to his work (films, TV show) First Canon, whereas fan fiction or fan works isn't canon at all.
You need to read some of the older threads. Maybe run a search on "canon" and "Indycron."

But here's the cliff notes version, (and for the older members Monarch Notes).

There are multiple levels of "canonicity" and none are immune to revisions/rewrites. As you've discovered, the films are the Gospel though, whihc at Lucas' discrestion may or may not validate events from the EU: (everything else).

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:

It's the first time he's seen an alien crystal skull. The skull in KOTCS isn't the normal human skull form, such as the Mitchell-Hedges kind.

Rocket Surgeon said:
You need to read some of the older threads. Maybe run a search on "canon" and "Indycron."

Seconded!

StoneTriple

Raiders112390 said:
Indy's words in KOTCS seem to imply it's his first time coming across a crystal skull.

Indy in Kingdom;
"There are a number of crystal skulls in the world. I saw one in a British Museum. Interesting craftsmanship, but that's about it."

*edit*
Didn't realize Montana had already addressed this.

AndyLGR

I finally got round to reading this one, its been sitting in storage since I bought it when it was released.

I liked the references to characters in the films. like Belloq, Wu Han and Lao Che and the reference to a Crystal Skull surprised me too.

The story skips along nicely, similar in many ways to the movies in its pace. Although I did think that the end macguffin of finding the father / the eggs / the lost tribe didnt work too well for me. I also didnt think much of the heroine of the novel, I thought it was obvious from the beginning that she wasnt all that she claimedit.

All in all I'd give it a decent 6 out of ten.