Ark burns US warehouse crate?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, the scene is right before the credits roll, after the long shot of the warehouse.
I suppose, however, it would work well as a post-credits scene.

Joe Brody

Aaron H said:
Yes, the scene is right before the credits roll, after the long shot of the warehouse.
I suppose, however, it would work well as a post-credits scene.

Well it didn't make it into the Adaptation -- which I got to see tonight thanks to the heads-up on theraider.net.

ROTLA

deleted scene

I know there was a previous thread on this topic, but I can't find it. People had been wondering if there was/wasn't a scene in the original film which showed the crate the U.S. put the Ark in having the U.S. seal burned off. If I remember correctly, many thought the scene was after Indy walked down the stairs with Marion and they were going to get a drink (you know, a drink). Anyway, here's what they had listed over at IMDB.com:

In the cinema release of Raiders, immediately AFTER the credits, there was a cutaway to the boxed Ark of the Covenant in the US Govt warehouse, and the U.S. Govt brand on the box is gradually being burnt away by the Ark. This scene is missing from the DVD release of the film.

Just thought some people might be interested.

Paden

I can remember coming across that scene completely by accident: absently sitting through the credits only to discover that scene at the end. I thought it was chillingly appropriate, a reminder of the Ark's power being above any nationality that might try to manipulate it. I wonder why the scene was eliminated from the DVD release?

roundshort

HHmmmm, another reason to buy another set of Indy DVD when they will be rereleased in a few years, you can never just put everything in the first set . . .

spohlso

I still don't buy it. The IMDB is simply submissions from the general pulic. Not truly verifiable in any way. People swore up and down that they remembered Biggs and Luke talking in Star Wars too, but that scene was never released either.

Until someone can post a clip from an old tape, or a quote from someone actually involved in making ROTLA, this is just urban legend to me.

Indy Parise

I know that the Nazi eagle burns off in the ships hold (Capt. Katangas ship)but not sure about the U.S. seal. I have the original tape so I'll check.

Jay R. Zay

are you the new mod or why do you feel so responsible to help..? better look at the thread about indy's music where you started discussing something off topic before telling others to get back to it...

Raven Moderation Notice

Due to off-topic or non-related Indiana Jones discussion, this thread may be closed. If you feel that this is an error, please contact the Moderator of this Board. Thank you.

Paden

Well, since I'm the one that jumped out with such enthusiasm about having memories of the scene, I guess I'll be the one to eat crow. I'm guessing my "memory" of the scene was based on an overactive teenaged imagination coupled with watching the movie too many times on cable. Last night, I fast forwarded my VHS copy of Raiders (Paramount, Stock #1376) to the closing credits. At the end of the credits, guess what? No deleted scene, just the old blue Paramount mountain logo. Nothing like helping spread an urban legend. Sorry about that folks. :eek:

ROTLA

Paden said:
Last night, I fast forwarded my VHS copy of Raiders (Paramount, Stock #1376) to the closing credits. At the end of the credits, guess what? No deleted scene, just the old blue Paramount mountain logo. Nothing like helping spread an urban legend. Sorry about that folks. :eek:

Supposedly it was deleted before they put out any of the early VHS versions. So, if it really was there to begin with, it still wouldn't have been on your video.

INDYfatigable

I remeber having definately seen this scene. It was on the original tape. This was the first time I had ever seen an Indy film(at a friends birthday party) and I remeber it distinctly.It is not on my current tape however, and this I know because I always watch the interviews with George Steve and Ford at the end.

Last edited:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
A REAL Raven Moderation notice.

Due to off-topic or non-related Indiana Jones discussion, this thread may be closed. If you feel that this is an error, please contact the Moderator of this Board. Thank you.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Still not a scrap of evidence this could be true. Someone ask Lucasfilm already.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
You have my word, is that good enough?

I wish I could find that link to the other discussion we had on this topic...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The 'Raiders Missing Scene' topic is here:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=7594

I wrote, "It's not in the novelization. It's not in Kasdan's script... Let's have a link to any video, picture, description or mention of the scene outside of this thread. Anyone? If the scene is on mass-marketed VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, or DVD somewhere in the world, this should be easy. I've googled and found nothing."